Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Ladybirdy75, as far as I see you have nothing to lose by stating on the Metformin and seeing if this helps with your insulin resistance and weight, yes it means taking another drug but if your not too bothered about that then its worth a try, if it doesn't help matters you can always stop taking the Met.

I'm sure I read in the book Think Like a Pancreas that Metfromin is more widely prescribed to type 1's in the USA then it is here in the UK,.

Reactions: 5 people

Ladybirdy75

@Ladybirdy75, as far as I see you have nothing to lose by stating on the Metformin and seeing if this helps with your insulin resistance and weight, yes it means taking another drug but if your not too bothered about that then its worth a try, if it doesn't help matters you can always stop taking the Met.

I'm sure I read in the book Think Like a Pancreas that Metfromin is more widely prescribed to type 1's in the USA then it is here in the UK,.

Thank you @noblehead. You're right the info out there is more geared to USA diabetics. I was bit bothered about taking yet another drug but reading the comments today i do feel far more comfortable with the idea. I will start with the evening tablet first as i see my DSN on 17/7 so we can review it together and add the morning one if need be. In the meantime I'm going to keep a very close eye on my levels so that i can really see if it makes the difference in insulin uptake once i start on the Met. Also i will look up the book you mentioned. Thanks

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My endo suggested Metformin to me last appointment, though I have no insulin resistance to speak of (TDD 25-30 units a day). He just seems to think its a good diet aid for Type 1s. I had just crept over 25 on the BMI. I refused to take it because in my googling I found people saying that it locks away your blood glucose so you can't exercise effectively while on it. Since my endo was saying I need to improve my muscle to fat ratio, I suppose he was thinking I could do it just by losing fat. But I can also do that by exercising and by putting on muscle. So I said no.

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Postitnote:- yes i admit weight loss is very slow, sometimes just half a pound a fortnight!! Thinking about it for the months following my heart attack (almost 3 now) I've only lost 3lbs and that's with a great diet and exercise effort!

I guess I've been mostly worrying about the side effects, especially on my heart. At my appointment he said to take 1 x 500mg at night only but when i collected the prescription it's says take 2 x daily?!! Maybe I'll just start with the night one and see how i go. Hope there's not too many hypos :-D

Hi @Ladybirdy75

It's not unusual for T1's to develop insulin resistance owing to weight. You should also consider introducing the following into your diet:
  • Cinnamon
  • Chromium picolinate
  • Vitamin D3
The first two, in particular, are noted for their ability to improve insulin sensitivity in people; Vit D3 is highly recommended for all people with diabetes as we appear to be particularly prone to its deficiency.

The book "Say no to diabetes" by Patrick Holford is a good starting point as he advocates the use of a range of vitamin and mineral supplements in varying amounts over a period of time when changing diets - on the basis that diet changes lead to changes in metabolism, water retention (loss of salts and minerals, etc.) and so on.

I've been using the above (amongst others) and I personally have noted their affect upon blood sugars - especially during an occasional indulgence.

Reactions: 2 people

Ladybirdy75

My endo suggested Metformin to me last appointment, though I have no insulin resistance to speak of (TDD 25-30 units a day). He just seems to think its a good diet aid for Type 1s. I had just crept over 25 on the BMI. I refused to take it because in my googling I found people saying that it locks away your blood glucose so you can't exercise effectively while on it. Since my endo was saying I need to improve my muscle to fat ratio, I suppose he was thinking I could do it just by losing fat. But I can also do that by exercising and by putting on muscle. So I said no.

That's very interesting Ruth. My BMI is unfortunately higher than that, in part due to my large muscle mass and part fat lol. See i agree with you, that although slow i could improve the weight part myself. I love exercising and for the last 3 months I've been very restricted in what i can do due to my heart attack in mud March and waiting for a stress echocardiogram on the borderline blocked artery. I've now had that done and am delighted that the blockage isn't causing any irreversible ischaemia to the front of my heart. I'm starting my exercise re-hab classes this coming weds so I'm hoping i will be able to push a bit more. I'm missing my Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred :-D. However, others on here have had good experiences with Met so I'm going to give it a trial period and see.

Reactions: 5 people

Ladybirdy75

Hi @Ladybirdy75

It's not unusual for T1's to develop insulin resistance owing to weight. You should also consider introducing the following into your diet:
  • Cinnamon
  • Chromium picolinate
  • Vitamin D3
The first two, in particular, are noted for their ability to improve insulin sensitivity in people; Vit D3 is highly recommended for all people with diabetes as we appear to be particularly prone to its deficiency.

The book "Say no to diabetes" by Patrick Holford is a good starting point as he advocates the use of a range of vitamin and mineral supplements in varying amounts over a period of time when changing diets - on the basis that diet changes lead to changes in metabolism, water retention (loss of salts and minerals, etc.) and so on.

I've been using the above (amongst others) and I personally have noted their affect upon blood sugars - especially during an occasional indulgence.

Thank you ConradJ. I'm taking the chromium already but haven't tried the cinnamon or the Vit D3 . I'll look into the book you mentioned.

peter7

My hospital Doctor said to me, you are taking tablets but you have to have a life and need to do the best you can. Words of wisdom I have carried with me for many years, I enjoy life to the best of my ability and do the best I can with Tablets. I had large doses of metformin 2000 mg a day and found that after working up from 1000 a day it was not progressing well. There were no side effects from the metformin, and I quite liked the weight control that improved, after a few years of Metformin. Careful monotoring by my primary care practice diabetic team has helped enormously, and we have introduced Trajenta 5mg, and Laaglyda MR 60mg and keeping the Metformin 1000mg daily. By talking to the team and my GP we seem to be managing OK, I play golf regularly and at 79yrs old have a good standard of life, I would suggest that metformin has been very helpful to me, and that working with the medical staff and regular monitoring, 3,6 and 12 month for various bits, feet, eyes, general condition etc has enabled a reasonable standard of health. I trust my G.P. and follow his advice. It has been suggested in other literature that Metformin may have additional benefits too.

peter7

I should add, as you do upon reflection that 2000mg Metformin seemed to cause an overactive bowel, and that I do of course have other medication for non diabetic but chronic conditions hence the reference to "tablets" and balance.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you ConradJ. I'm taking the chromium already but haven't tried the cinnamon or the Vit D3 . I'll look into the book you mentioned.

Ladybird75 - I don't have any similarity to you whatsoever, being a T2, resolved, never taken any meds and a skinny old bird, but I have done a whole shed load of reading around insulin resistance, as it is my belief that that's actually what triggered my T2 diagnosis.

I am a big fan of the work Professor taylor has done at Newcastle, although I never followed his protocols, and I'm certain they would be very unsuitable for you. But, he has a excellent way of describing insulin resistance, which explains why it can become a bit of a vicious circle. His lecture here: http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94 has the description about 80/90% of the way through. If you're fast-forwarding to find it, his preamble contains a few slides of the Himalaya, then his mountain bike. It could be a worthwhile watch. Clearly, I would suggest where he talks about the pancreas throwing out more insulin, that would equate to your bolusing.

Good luck with it all.

Ladybirdy75

Ladybird75 - I don't have any similarity to you whatsoever, being a T2, resolved, never taken any meds and a skinny old bird, but I have done a whole shed load of reading around insulin resistance, as it is my belief that that's actually what triggered my T2 diagnosis.

I am a big fan of the work Professor taylor has done at Newcastle, although I never followed his protocols, and I'm certain they would be very unsuitable for you. But, he has a excellent way of describing insulin resistance, which explains why it can become a bit of a vicious circle. His lecture here: http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94 has the description about 80/90% of the way through. If you're fast-forwarding to find it, his preamble contains a few slides of the Himalaya, then his mountain bike. It could be a worthwhile watch. Clearly, I would suggest where he talks about the pancreas throwing out more insulin, that would equate to your bolusing.

Good luck with it all.

Thank you for that AndBreathe. I really do need to swat up on insulin resistance. I started my Metformin last night. Woke up hypo this morning lol. I guess in these early days of taking it I'm going to have to do lots of adjustments on my insulin pump and lots of basal testing. From reading the comments above it's likely to have a substantial effect on my BG levels. I'm about to watch the video once I've finished replying to you.

Ladybirdy75

My hospital Doctor said to me, you are taking tablets but you have to have a life and need to do the best you can. Words of wisdom I have carried with me for many years, I enjoy life to the best of my ability and do the best I can with Tablets. I had large doses of metformin 2000 mg a day and found that after working up from 1000 a day it was not progressing well. There were no side effects from the metformin, and I quite liked the weight control that improved, after a few years of Metformin. Careful monotoring by my primary care practice diabetic team has helped enormously, and we have introduced Trajenta 5mg, and Laaglyda MR 60mg and keeping the Metformin 1000mg daily. By talking to the team and my GP we seem to be managing OK, I play golf regularly and at 79yrs old have a good standard of life, I would suggest that metformin has been very helpful to me, and that working with the medical staff and regular monitoring, 3,6 and 12 month for various bits, feet, eyes, general condition etc has enabled a reasonable standard of health. I trust my G.P. and follow his advice. It has been suggested in other literature that Metformin may have additional benefits too.

Thank you for your reply peter7. I started my Metformin last night (1000mg) and woke with a hypo this morning so there's going to be lots of adjustments for me to make on my insulin pump, etc. it was really encouraging to read about your experiences with Metformin and it's lovely to hear about how active you are despite having to take different medications.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for that AndBreathe. I really do need to swat up on insulin resistance. I started my Metformin last night. Woke up hypo this morning lol. I guess in these early days of taking it I'm going to have to do lots of adjustments on my insulin pump and lots of basal testing. From reading the comments above it's likely to have a substantial effect on my BG levels. I'm about to watch the video once I've finished replying to you.

Metformin doesn't have a huge impact on blood scores in T2s. It suppresses the appetite, improves insulin resistance (meaning the pancreas probably is under less strain). For T2s, the biggest impact on their blood levels comes from diet. And, coincidentally, many report that they feel better on Metformin when they curb the carbs a bit too.

Curiously enough, this morning I picked up Trudi Deakin's book, "Eat Fat" as I wanted to read her summary on various artificial sweeteners, but I fell upon a few paragraphs on insulin resistance. She concludes if we have three or more of the following symptoms, we are likely to have the metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance:

• Increased waist size - for men, greater than 94cm and women 80cm (Asian men 90cm)
  • Raised triglycerides - greater than 1.7mmil/L (or on medication to lower cholesterol)
  • Reduced HDL - Less than 1.03mmol/L for men, and 1.29mmol/L for women
  • Raised blood pressure - Systolic greater than 130mmHg; Diastolic 85mmHg (or on BP lowering medication)
  • Raised fasting glucose - plasma glucoes of greater than 5.6mmol/L
Most Ts will have metabolic syndrome, based on those factors. I did. I have no idea how prevalent it is in T1s.

I have read loads, and loads about diabetes et al, since diagnosis, and although I'm not the biggest fan of the layout of Trudi's book, it is a fabulous concise document covering the low carb, enough fat lifestyle and the theory behind it.

Ladybirdy75

Thank you AndBreathe, certainly makes for interesting reading. From the pointers you took from Deakins book i hit every one of them and really, when you think about it, although i have to externally administer my insulin if i am one of these unlucky people whose body struggles to utilise insulin then why wouldn't i end up having problems such as Type 2? There's not that many of us out there (T1's with T2 on top) but there is a few of us. Just as with obesity, it doesn't necessarily mean you will end up with T2, fit and lean people end up with T2 too so it makes sense to me that there would be T1's who end up with insulin resistance.

It's all about education for me now on the subject and lots of fiddling with my pump. I have to say that i was pretty much amazed at how low my blood sugars were yesterday, i had 4 hypos. Will se what today brings then start making some necessary adjustments.

I've also just bought that book off Amazon.

Thank you for your help AndBreathe, very much appreciated.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Thank you AndBreathe, certainly makes for interesting reading. From the pointers you took from Deakins book i hit every one of them and really, when you think about it, although i have to externally administer my insulin if i am one of these unlucky people whose body struggles to utilise insulin then why wouldn't i end up having problems such as Type 2? There's not that many of us out there (T1's with T2 on top) but there is a few of us. Just as with obesity, it doesn't necessarily mean you will end up with T2, fit and lean people end up with T2 too so it makes sense to me that there would be T1's who end up with insulin resistance.

I suspect that there are more T1's with insulin resistance on top than is actually acknowledged or understood.

I'm reasonably sure that I had developed it: I'm now 181 cm and 70 kg (that's 5'10" and 11 st 1 lb in old money), but with a couple of inches of excess blubber around the waist. I was also a high-carb eater and consequently my insulin dosage was more than three times my current level. I've done a lot to change past errors, including lower carbohydrate diet and increased physical activity, the combination of both has greatly improved my sensitivity and insulin requirements.

Good luck with things, and don't give up if they're having success because it can get much harder before it gets better.

Ladybirdy75

Thank you ConradJ. Sounds very much like my predicament there and like you i think there have to be more T1's suffering the same. I shall persevere and report back in a while as to how it's going.

GrahamLush

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too have been diabetic Type 1 for over 40 years (diagnosed at 10years old) and am now on a pump.

I also was becoming resilient to insulin and finding that my dosage was increasing to keep my blood sugar levels down.

I was put on Metformin about two years ago, but stopped after a week or so as I was feeling nauseous after taking it with my breakfast and again with my evening meal.
I have since been moved onto a slow release version and am finding it fine.

I have reduced my daily basal rates and my HbA1c is still coming down with constant monitoring and adjustment.

When on an insulin pen I was taking 84units of Levemir together with around 50units of Actrapid each day.
My daily intake since being on a pump was originally 53units for my basal rate and 42units for my main meals, has now reduced to 37units for my basal and around 25units for meals and snacks.
My HbA1c has gradually been coming down from 10.6 when on a pen, to 9.2 a year after being on a pump to now a reasonable 7.8 in February.

I would suggest having a word with your GP or DSN to get some information on what the benefits are expected to be for you and how they will identify whether it is working or not.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Haven't had time to read all the replies but I've been T1 since around 1972 when aged 4
A few years ago I was put on Metformin which made no difference to my sugar levels.
Since losing 7 Stones in weight in the last 7 months (was 22st now 14st 2lb) I've been taken off Metformin
Perhaps I was put on it as I was on on average 130 units a day which is now only 40 (the only reason I had for loosing the weight was to reduce my insulin intake due to intolerance worries).
Common side effect of loosing so much weight so quickly is carb to insulin ratio has dramatically changed and I'm now working with my diabetologist and diabetic nurse to regain the excellent control I had when I was bigger but it's an uphill struggle that I will conquer and a slow step by step process with each stage having to be accomplished before being able to move on to the next stage.So far I've gone from 5 injections to 6 a day (was 4 x Novorapid and 1 x Levemir now 4 x Novorapid and 2 x Levemir so backround insulin doesn't run out before next jab)
I was never told I was a T2 on top of a Type 1 which I've never even heard of.

Good luck with your issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, it's been a long time since I've visited the forum but i have a question that I'm hoping somebody may be able to help me with.

I've been a Type 1 diabetic for 40 years now (I'm 45) and recently suffered a heart attack (mid March) which required a stent. Ironically I'd already been working with my wonderful DSN for the previous year to lower my high HbA1c, lose weight with an LCHF diet and exercise but unbeknown to me I already had coronary heart disease.

After my heart attack I've been very motivated to bring my levels down and stabilise them (I'm on a pump) and be as healthy as i can. I went to see my consultant on 17th May and although my levels are stabilising, my HbA1c has reduced greatly and I've had no c-peptide tests he has decided that I've developed Type 2 on top of my Type 1 and has prescribed Metformin to be started 3 months on from the heart attack (so mid June). I feel really worried about this as I've never heard of a T1 having to go on this drug and i can find only limited info on it and it seems to be all doom and gloom (people dying of lactic acidosis, horrid side effects, etc). There's plenty of info on T2's on Metformin having to go on insulin but not the other way around and i can't seem to get an appointment to discuss it.

I'm really thinking of not taking it. My May HbA1c was 67 which I've got down from 83 and I'm still working on getting it in range and although I'm around 20lbs overweight it is slowly coming off! I can't understand the need????

Is there anybody out there with a similar experience?

Hi LadyBirdy75 :)

I have just joined the forum!

Just wanted to tell you that I was on Metformin when I was a teenager as well as injections. Due to being overweight my body found it hard to recognise the insulin (bit similar to being type 2). I was on Metformin for a little while but once the weight came off I came off of the Metformin. Hope this is helpful xxxx