Type 1 low blood sugar symptoms

Carpay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been a type 1 for over 40 years and was just wondering if anyone else had experienced extreme thirst as a symptom of LOW blood sugars? I can get exactly the same symptom for both low and high BS which can be very confusing especially if it happens overnight. This is not new for me as I started experiencing this over 10 years ago but cannot find any information when I research it so I am looking for a second opinion. Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been a type 1 for over 40 years and was just wondering if anyone else had experienced extreme thirst as a symptom of LOW blood sugars? I can get exactly the same symptom for both low and high BS which can be very confusing especially if it happens overnight. This is not new for me as I started experiencing this over 10 years ago but cannot find any information when I research it so I am looking for a second opinion. Thanks

Hi,

I don't know about extreme thirst with low symptoms. But I do want to swigg down a "chaser" if I've eaten a solid to treat the low?
A night low. I can wake with a dry mouth as a matter of course anyway.. Dehydrated from the sweating?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Carpay I get the thirst too when running high, have always put it down to the kidneys action of trying to eliminate glucose from the blood stream, but haven’t had when it low, instead I get the urge to pee when low !

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been a type 1 for over 40 years and was just wondering if anyone else had experienced extreme thirst as a symptom of LOW blood sugars?
Hi @Carpay , and welcome to the forum.

I've occasionally noticed a sudden extreme thirst, particularly when dropping quick.

jazzyone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I sometimes get extreme thirst when low, but not always, I crave fizzy juice like coke, but because I don't always get it it can be confusing

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, welcome to the forum. Yes I started feeling thirsty with lows as well as highs some years ago, (type 1 for 55 years), and it really confused me, especially to begin with. You have my sympathy!!

Reactions: Margie@home

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Carpay many people feel very hungry when low (hence a hypo feeding frenzy) it could be the same sort of reaction. Our hunger and thirst mechanisms having a connect. Hi and welcome by the way.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Welcome
Only within the last year or two I've started getting pins and needles in my mouth when low!
I know !
Our symptoms change as we get older and I do try to run as low as possible and i'm all teched up with libres and miaow miaows so I suppose its natural.....
Good luck with yours

Tony

daffadam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I am having a very bad hypo I have at times felt thirsty, though 'extreme' thirst is something I normally feel when running very high so yeah that must be very confusing at times