Type 1 maybe?

NZ_Type_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi people Joel from NZ here...Just wondering how long the honeymoon period lasted for everyone? I have been on Insulin for 3 years now and still seem to be producing alot of my own I take 4 units Lantus at night and about 2-4 units of novarapid each meal.
Cheers

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @NZ_Type_1

Welcome to the forum.

There isn't as such a definitive lifetime for the pancreas, some report reduced insulin requirements for a year, some for a few. It seems that the better your control, the longer the pancreas can continue with what support it can as it's less stressed. Keeping well and exercising can also help with maintaining reduced insulin requirements. Whilst this is going on its good to read up and become an expert, there are some good type 1 reads out there such as 'think like a pancreas' and 'diabetes solution'.

I am going to move your post into the type 1 section so more type 1's can see it and respond ;)

NZ_Type_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi JOEL welcome to the forum.

There isn't as such a definitive lifetime for the pancreas, some report reduced insulin requirements for a year, some for a few. It seems that the better your control, the longer the pancreas can continue with what support it can as it's less stressed. Keeping well and exercising can also help with maintaining reduced insulin requirements. Whilst this is going on its good to read up and become an expert, there are some good type 1 reads out there such as 'think like a pancreas' and 'diabetes solution'.

I am going to move your post into the type 1 section so more type 1's can see it and respond ;)[/USER]

Thanks :) I have the 'think like a pancreas' Just not sure if i am a true type 1

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry I wasn't sure if you were asking about being a type 1 or about the honeymoon period ! How were you diagnosed and what were the circumstances ? Type 1 diagnosis can be sudden so onset and symptoms develop very quickly, personally I became very ill over a week, some people get picked up through a healthcare check up and a high blood glucose reading. Your doctor can carry out a C Peptide test or antibodies test to determine what type you are if your unsure. However as said above the honeymoon can last for a few years particularly if your managing well so it's possible to believe mis-diagnosis if it is lasting a long time.

NZ_Type_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thats ok I was diagnosed in 2013 was feeling really tired and drinking heaps of water for about a month went to doctor for blood test next thing im in hospital for 3 days while they bring my blood sugar levels down. So was diagnosed as type1 because was fit healthy and not insulin resistant. I have never tested positive for antibodies and my blood/glucose is pretty easy to control I think i am still producing about 2/3 of my insulin? doc said could possibly be one of the rear monogentic diabetes but not enough funding to to the DNA test yet.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had a look at the LADA / 1.5 section of the forum (or just google it) it refers to a slow onset form of type 1 where there is a long honeymoon period.

You can have a c-peptide test to see if you are producing your own insulin.

You can have a GAD test to see if you have the type 1 antibodies. A negative GAD test doesn't mean you aren't type 1. I think 25-33% of type ones test GAD negative.

In the UK, I don't think they proceed to MODY genetic testing until you have had a negative GAD test.

But if you are needing to bolus 2-4 units every meal to manage your blood sugar I don't think a different diagnosis is going to change your management at all. So don't be over concerned with diagnosis - just be pleased that you are managing it well!

NZ_Type_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you had a look at the LADA / 1.5 section of the forum (or just google it) it refers to a slow onset form of type 1 where there is a long honeymoon period.

You can have a c-peptide test to see if you are producing your own insulin.

You can have a GAD test to see if you have the type 1 antibodies. A negative GAD test doesn't mean you aren't type 1. I think 25-33% of type ones test GAD negative.

In the UK, I don't think they proceed to MODY genetic testing until you have had a negative GAD test.

But if you are needing to bolus 2-4 units every meal to manage your blood sugar I don't think a different diagnosis is going to change your management at all. So don't be over concerned with diagnosis - just be pleased that you are managing it well!
Thanks catapillar :) i have had C-peptide done and am still producing my own insulin.
I have had the GAD test done twice negative both times.
Just want to know as much as i can about what my body if doing haha