1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Need to gain Weight

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by IanDmcc, Jul 22, 2019.

1. IanDmcc

IanDmcc Type 2 · Newbie

Hi

I am type 1 Diabetic and have lost so much weight i would like to gain some I struggle to eat a lot of nuts as they make me Cough is there a simple way to gain Weight as I do Carb count and i am on an insulin Pump

Ian

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum :)

Firstly have you been checked out at the GP to see if there's any other reason for your weight loss ?

Protein shakes, adding more fat into your diet and of course increasing carbs are the first things i'd do if I wanted to gain some weight, but best to get your GP to review first in case there's another reason for your weight loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

hi ian ive been type1 for just over 2 years now .i had an appointment this morning with my diabeties team i told them im concerned over still losing weight and they have told me to go to gp over this as they doubted it was diabeties related how long have you been diagnosed for ?

4. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The first thing you must do is get your BS levels in check, assuming you haven't already. Elevated glucose levels will lead to muscle loss, and low glucose levels will leave you with a host of its own problems.

Once BS levels are stable, weight gain is essentially the same as with anyone else, stay in a calorific surplus (by eating healthy foods which wont advocate excessive fat gain). Nuts are typical as they are very calorie dense. You need to track what you are eating etc, for example a 250g steak can have almost 700 calories in it, add to that some sides etc., that's easily a 1000 calorie meal. A few eggs can have over 200 calories, you may be surprised how much you are actually consuming.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook