Type 1 not allowed circuit training

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please guys... Calm.

I'm just really annoyed as hubby says I would be the fittest there.... And Type 1, not my fitness ir health personal to myself is being taken in to account. That is why I am so annoyed.

I understand Mike's info.. "Cover ass" and just classify all type 1's as too dangerous is quite discrimatory about me as a person with a long term critical illness but is fitter than " normal" persons.

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please guys... Calm.

I'm just really annoyed as hubby says I would be the fittest there.... And Type 1, not my fitness ir health personal to myself is being taken in to account. That is why I am so annoyed.

I understand Mike's info.. "Cover ass" and just classify all type 1's as too dangerous is quite discrimatory about me as a person with a long term critical illness but is fitter than " normal" persons.
I understand your anger but I'm just saying you can't demand participation. I apologise for myself and Douglas for detracting from your original post.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No, show me your case law that you can exclude any recognised disability on a pure whim.
You know you can't, so simply admit you are wrong, and the op can take the professional opinion from the doctor as the necessary proof they can be allowed on the course.
Stop messing the op about here.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I understand your anger but I'm just saying you can't demand participation. I apologise for myself and Douglas for detracting from your original post.
Don't apologise for me, you are talking nonsense, and playing down the effect it has on all of us, by accepting T1's and T2's should be treated differently, in spite of medical approval, and that really gets to me.
We are not second class!!

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Douglas, you are so tiresome. You claim to have "trumped me" by quoting an Act but nothing in it. You accused me of having a "rant" with no reply. I have made my response earlier informing you that it is the responsibility of the fitness centre for all members of the public who train there. If they deem a particular class unsuitable, they can prevent ANYONE from taking part. There are more than one rule that allows this. They can prevent people on certain meds or with certain conditions. That does not mean a diabetic can't use a gym, just certain classes. That's my last word as you clearly get a kick out of arguing as per a lot of threads you appear to be involved in.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Douglas, you are so tiresome. You claim to have "trumped me" by quoting an Act but nothing in it. You accused me of having a "rant" with no reply. I have made my response earlier informing you that it is the responsibility of the fitness centre for all members of the public who train there. If they deem a particular class unsuitable, they can prevent ANYONE from taking part. There are more than one rule that allows this. They can prevent people on certain meds or with certain conditions. That does not mean a diabetic can't use a gym, just certain classes. That's my last word as you clearly get a kick out of arguing as per a lot of threads you appear to be involved in.

So, bad advice, and completely ignoring any legislation, and no case to show any precedent?
Utter rubbish, and I hope the op sorts out a fair resolution.

Nothing allows discrimination, after a medical opinion allowing the actions.
I will call you out.
NAME the rules that you claim exist.
I have stated the ones that state they don't exist..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

I understand the exclusion as such, but can it be a blanket ban? I would prefer to be assessed as an individual. They have not even seen me. Just talked to my hubby and they didn't even know what an insulin pump was!! Just banned me without even assessing me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't apologise for me, you are talking nonsense, and playing down the effect it has on all of us, by accepting T1's and T2's should be treated differently, in spite of medical approval, and that really gets to me.
We are not second class!!
Are you getting me mixed up with someone else ? Did I call anyone a second class citizen and where did I say T1's or T2's are treated differently ? Strange.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you getting me mixed up with someone else ? Did I call anyone a second class citizen and where did I say T1's or T2's are treated differently ? Strange.
I understand the exclusion as such, but can it be a blanket ban? I would prefer to be assessed as an individual. They gave not even seen me. Just talked to my hubby and they didn't even know what an insulin pump was!! Just banned me without even assessing me.

No I'm not mixing you up.
Answer?

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But you haven't answered anything yourself ? Do you really think by ignoring everything I ask then responding with a ? is a valid post ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Micky25

I just want a fair assessment of my health and fitness as to whether I am more of a risk as a lean, fit, muscular, good hba1c, than an obese undiagnosed, unchecked out "normal" person. I know my limitations. These "normal" unchecked out GP, circuit training public are to me, more of a risk than myself. So I feel that excluding me without correctly assessing me in person under a blanket ban is wrong and unfair.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't care for personal arguments please.

I just would appreciate being anle to get my head around their ban without seeing me, as I do think that does veer towards a general disrimination.

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Micky25

I just want a fair assessment of my health and fitness as to whether I am more of a risk as a lean, fit, muscular, good hba1c, than an obese undiagnosed, unchecked out "normal" person. I know my limitations. These "normal" unchecked out GP, circuit training public are to me, more of a risk than myself. So I feel that excluding me without correctly assessing me in person under a blanket ban is wrong and unfair.
I totally agree and I think I'm getting a bit of a bashing for no reason really but no problem. Your best course of action would be to do exactly as you suggest and speak with manager and explain things. Discuss your control, the pump and your doctors letter.
My legal remarks earlier were only in response to a member who suggested you can claim discrimination etc but you can't. Any gym can prevent someone from a particular activity if they see fit after carrying out a risk assessment. If they deem you a hypo risk, they are covered. If it went to court, you would lose. I'm not saying I agree but that is how it is. Google type 1 diabetic gym ban in Kings Lynn for example. The Council upheld the gym's decision.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Micky25

removed inflammatory remark - anna29
the equality Act 2010 is what should be quoted.
If you are signed off by a HCP as fit, they cannot discriminate against you, without a full assessment that disproves your medical assessment.
And I firmly believe it''s our duty to stand up and be counted, not to get involved in stupid petty bickering on this forum, and let personal vendettas belittle the rest of us.

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a T1 myself. Am I missing something ? Douglas, I guess I must have upset you in a past life. Don't go through life so bitter. So your suggestion to OP is to "quote the Equality Act 2010". Should this be done in full of just those words ? This act consists of 116 seperate pieces of law and many hundreds of pages full of grey areas. Good luck.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I totally agree and I think I'm getting a bit of a bashing for no reason really but no problem. Your best course of action would be to do exactly as you suggest and speak with manager and explain things. Discuss your control, the pump and your doctors letter.
My legal remarks earlier were only in response to a member who suggested you can claim discrimination etc but you can't. Any gym can prevent someone from a particular activity if they see fit after carrying out a risk assessment. If they deem you a hypo risk, they are covered. If it went to court, you would lose. I'm not saying I agree but that is how it is. Google type 1 diabetic gym ban in Kings Lynn for example. The Council upheld the gym's decision.

NO

'A diabetic has claimed she is being discriminated against after she was barred from using a Lynn gym.'

Absolutely no legal decision, and the same discrimination as this thread..
Why are you trashing our rights?

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You make no sense. You continue to ignore my questions, you continue to make unsubstantiated claims. You have written a lot about nothing and you have read but not understood. You have bickered but not advised. So, are you suggesting OP can demand to participate in a gym activity ? If so, please explain why ? Don't just say Equality Act as that means nothing. Unless you can show otherwise.
The Kings Lynn case was upheld by Council.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Micky25 I am so sorry about how you have been treated on this thread. It's hard when you are new to a forum and someone seems to have taken a dislike to you. Please don't be discouraged from posting because of one individual. I have read some of your other posts and have enjoyed them. I hope this experience hasn't put you off completely.

@donnellysdogs I feel the gym owners simply don't understand and are making an issue of the pump unnecessarily. I'm sure if you were allowed to go in for an induction you would allay their fears. I hope this gets sorted out for you.

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You make no sense. You continue to ignore my questions, you continue to make unsubstantiated claims. You have written a lot about nothing and you have read but not understood. You have bickered but not advised. So, are you suggesting OP can demand to participate in a gym activity ? If so, please explain why ? Don't just say Equality Act as that means nothing. Unless you can show otherwise.
Case law
Quote it