Type 1,omnipod 8 weeks in....diagnosed 3 months ago

Red_Letti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm 12 and now have an omnipod.I love it ,it's so much easier and less painful than injections.I just don't understand why all type1 warriors talk about low carb diets and special food types when I've been told I can eat whatever I want as long as I work out my ratio......confused and want to learn☺️

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Red_Letti :) Not all Type 1s talk about LC. Most of us eat moderate carbs. As long as you get good numbers that's the main thing :)

I love my pump too :) Its a Vibe not an Omnipod but it makes me feel normal.

@noblehead has an Omnipod and so does @himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm 12 and now have an omnipod.I love it ,it's so much easier and less painful than injections.

Pleased your enjoying your pump, I've been using the Omnipod for 20 months now and wouldn't like to go back to injections.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @Red_Letti
welcome to the forum :)
I love my omnipod -- I have been pumping for 13 months
it is a bit more work than injections but I get much better control with a pump.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Red_Letti good for you for asking and wanting to learn more, if only every diabetic, what ever the type, was as pro-active as you!

I certainly don't low carb, although I do recommend it for T2.

Some T1s like to LC as a way of minimizing the peaks and troughs of their Blood glucose levels, there's less scope for insulin calculation errors and over doing hypo treatment if you're determined to keep very low carb.

I'm trying to think of an analogy for this....................and failing!.............

Think of it as a lorry with a tall unstable load on the back, driving along a flat straight motorway is easy - nice steady smooth steering and application of the brakes/accelerator, however using a route that's twisty and bumping makes it even harder to keep the load on the back of the truck, start to make sharp hard turns, and stomping on the breaks and hard acceleration you're going loose some of that cargo in the back of the lorry!

Perhaps I'm a A-Road kinda guy!