1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

type 1 on metformin

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by ronialive, Mar 30, 2016.

1. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have had my Metformin changed to slow release. instead of having 2 twice a day they have changed it to 4 at night. Is this normal as I am a little anxious
    I pump Hypurin porcine neutral.

2. jane12

jane12 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you are type 1 why are you on meteor in?

3. jane12

Or even metformin!

4. Flakey Bake

Flakey Bake Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Metformin can help type 1 who are insulin resistant, or those who have both type of diabetes (the dreaded double-diabetes). I take Metformin has really help me keep my BG more stable and reduce my insulin requirments.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Flakey Bake

Flakey Bake Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was on slow release metformin a while back and it was 2 tablets a day ( a total of 1 gram metformin SR, which was the maximum dose). I personally would check the amount of the amount of drug per tablet and read the instructions leaflet that comes in the pack. I would just check that 4 tablets is not more than maximum dose per day. However I am a worry wart about these things.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. jane12

That's bad luck!

7. ronialive

because people who are type one can develop insulin resistance just like the rest of society. It is mor elikely the longer you are on injections- so after 43 years it is quite normal for a type one.

8. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hiya, I was also under the impression that metformin might also be be more common for type 1 ladies with PCOS, trying to get pregnant or already pregnant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ronialive

it is used for that for any people and not connected with diabetes treatment in that case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ronialive

having checked- thanks the maximum dose is indeed 2000mg so the 4 tablets I have been put on. It is exactly the same as non SR but just all given at the same time. Is anyone else on this dose?

• Like Like x 2
  11. ronialive

Hi Jane- are you on slow release and did it help?

I was on normal 2 3 times a day (which was recommended dose when I started). My new consutant changed me to twice a day as she said side effects were better and I noticed a massive change in blood sugars dropping 1000mg a day. Now I am going to SR as the stomach problems were too great as put on orlistat also. Hoping that I will be able to tolerate both.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook