Type 1 Overweight & Depressed

yingal26

Dislikes
Patronising doctors mainly. Taxi drivers.
Hi
I just joined today. Ive been a type one diabetic for 13 years and I just feel like I cant deal with it anymore. Ive had nothing but problems from the start. At the moment I am 18 stone 8 pounds, on antidepressants for anxiety and depression and on Novorapid and Lantus insulins. My Hba1c is 10.2. I just feel utterly useless. Does anyone else ever get like this?

Thanks for reading.
Yingal26.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.
Welcome to the forum. You are in the best place to get all the help and support you need. A lot of us have been depressed and felt the same way as you. It can and does get better. We can help you to take control of your Diabetes and your life again. Just ask questions when you are ready.

Ken.

stewpid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

And welcome to the forum.

I'm in much the same place as you.

I'm 55 years of age and diagnosed T1 nearly eleven years ago on Humalog and Lantus. Lots of other medications too for high blood pressure (Ramipril, Bisoprolol, Felodopine), Cholesterol (Atorvastatin), plus Clopidogrel (instead of aspirin), and Omeprazole for a hiatus hernia. Recently also put on Fluoxetine to cope with the low feelings I've had for some time.

I've never really felt in control and my HbA1C had been getting worse over the past couple of years (it was 8.4 last March). Weight was out of control, having put on over two stone and topped the scale at 17 stone 2 lbs. BP was 135/90 or worse. No matter what I did, or how good I thought I was being, nothing seemed to improve.

However........ my last visit to clinic in March was the turning point. I was asked to go on a dose adjustment course (like DAFNE) to see if I could gain some better control.

I did this a few weeks ago and things have turned full circle. I now understand more about what I'm eating and how it affects me, my BG is regulalrly 5.0-7.0, I eat lots less carbs than I did before, and I'm losing weight (slowly - down to 16 stone 11 lbs today). Other benefits are that my BP is also way down (113/65 last weekend) and my HbA1C was 7.8 at clinic a couple of weeks ago. And I feel a lot happier because I am in control.

I guess my message to you is I understand where you are and sometimes it feels like the world is against you. But you just need to find the thing which will give you a kick start. Speak to your local health professionals to discuss options. I'm more than happy to share my experiences in more detail if you want, but I'm sure there are lots of others out there with stories which reflect mine.

Keep your chin up.

Stewart :wink:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi yingal26.
Depression can be partly a response to feelings of not being in control, I think. That was always the trigger for me. I guess your weight and blood glucose are a big factor behind those feelings?
Fortunately, that's something we may be able to help you with.
Have a look around the forum. In particular, the Success Stories thread might be worth a look because you'll find many examples of people who have turned themselves around using a few simple principles.
I'm confident we can help you make huge strides in improving your numbers and that you'll soon feel in control again. In the meantime, we're here for you.

Very best wishes,

fergus

yingal26

Dislikes
Wow I didnt expect to get so many replies! Thanks so much.

I did go to see my doctor a couple of days ago and he put my dose of Cipralex back up to 20mg from 10mg. Im also on Simvastatin 40mg and Ramipril 2.5mcg. It all started going downhill when my Dad died 3 years ago because up until then I was finally getting a good grasp with my blood sugars. He had type one aswell and died from complications of it, aswell as other things like smoking and drinking. He was only 58.

To be honest the only thing I know about how foods, is how they affect me is like white bread, rice and pasta dont keep me going long and if I eat anything sugary Im guaranteed to get a headache! I dont smoke or drink alcohol either and I only drink tea, water or diet coke.

At the moment I see getting my blood glucose sugars under control as a monumental task. My doctor is convinced my weight is playing a major role in poor control (which I dont dispute) but the thought of having to lose near 9 stone just overwealms me. I just dont know where to begin.

Stewart, what did you have to do at your adjustment course?
Fergus, unfortunately I dont feel in control of much these days, you are right. I will have a read of the sucess stories as you suggested. I'll let you know how I get on and I will ask any questions when I have some!

Thanks loads Yingal26

Giraffe

The thought of having to lose 9 stone woud overwhelm anyone! Don't see it as one impossible task, break it down - aim to lose maybe a pound a week? That way it's an achievable goal and not something that will make you lose hope.

I would say get an exercise bike, or what I have got is a cross trainer (bought for 60 quid from ebay) which is brilliant, because you can just hop on for a gentle ten or twenty minute session after meals, or aim for a more strenuous workout if you feel brave.

Exercise is so important for control, I have found, and it doesn't have to be horrible!

I know after I've been on the trainer, I feel great, energetic, tingly, happy - it's really brilliant.

Good luck :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi yingal
I can totally empathise on the loss of your dad. The 20th anniversary of my Dad's death is next month and there's still a huge gaping hole in my heart.( and I'm a grandmother myself)
The only way I have been able to come to terms with it over the time is to remember what a wonderful relationship we had and whenever something happens that I would have told him. I still do.
I used to get panic attacks in confined spaces, but that's over and done with. I still don't like them, but I just get out.
However, I DO control my diabetes( I'm a T2). Dad would have expected it of me.
As Fergus says look around the forum for help. If anyone sets an example to T1s, it's Fergus.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Yingal

Sounds like DAFNE or something like it will be very useful for you. It's not just carb counting, but how to adjust your insulin to what you want to eat, correct high readings quickly but still see underlying trends, and keep sugars under better control when ill. You no longer "have to" eat between meals and you decide how many carbs to eat, so it could help you lose weight.

I found it improved quality of life by making me feel in control of it (not the other way round) for the first time, as well as removing frustrating "rules". Testing is much more fun when you have some influence over the results!

If your own diabetic clinic doesn't offer DAFNE, there are similar local programmes and an online version (don't know the www but someone else will if you're interested).

lionrampant

Lantus isn't a fun insulin to be on. You might want to talk to your Diabetic consultant (or... nurse, if you're unlucky enough to not have a hospital clinic) about changing to something like Levemir or another background insulin. Lantus MAY (MAY) also be related to your weight issues but don't expect it to all just fall off if you change insulin.

iHs

Hello Yingal

The website that LittleSue mentioned that explains carb counting and adjusting yr insulin for what you eat is http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/.

Unfortunately DAFNE courses are not 2 a penny. There is according to where you live 'a long wait' in order to get on one in the first place and some D consultants and DSNs are not too supportive of them which doesn't help :roll:

If you are not already doing it, have a go at testing yr bg levels about 4 times a day and also mid morning and mid afternoon. By doing that you should be able to sort out how much insulin you need to use for the carb that you eat so that you can stay 'on target'. This is all down to 'trial and error' and takes a bit of time but proves to be an education in itself.

Also, if you split your Lantus dose into 2 (morning and bedtime) you should find that your control will be a bit more evened out. Lantus's action though is for some a bit swift, so changing to Levemir often turns out much better.

ChocFish

Hi yingal
Welcome to the forum, you have already been given good advice and welcome here and as type 2 diabetic I am of precious little use to you so just wanted to say I care.
I am so sorry to hear of your bereavement, emotional traumas such as this cause things to go haywire, have you considered bereavement counselling? Your Dad is in your heart forever and though we are told that time is a great healer I know that is true but even so I still cry now and then for loved ones that I lost years ago.

Re losing weight, I once weighed 23st, I found it helpful to not to think that I need to lose 14st to reach my target, my goodness, no, I wouldnt have handled that at all so I just attacked it mentally as one stone at a time, it took me just over two years to reach target weight. I am a comfort eater and I also felt deprived on the low carb diet, well in the beginning, but I learnt to compensate and reward myself with other treats, not food, eg I bought books, perfumes, CDs, etc (sheeesh I ought to move to a bigger house, I have accumulated that much stuff over the years, hmmmm did I really need all that comfort?!), I also pinned up little notes in strategic places to remind me, things like little pickers wear big knickers and a moment on your lips a lifetime on your hips, but I was even struggling with that for a time, who cares about big knickers and hips? Whats that? Mine were well hidden obvious.
But I did get there in the end, with setbacks of course, and if I can lose weight, anyone else can do it too.
Take one step at a time, work out a plan, dont attempt to tackle your current issues in one go, even if they are interlinked with one another, I am sure that you will succeed in reaching your goal.

#All the best
Karen x

Giraffe

Yes, another vote for Levemir - I used to be on Insulatard (? I think!) and it was no good for me, but switched to Levemir a while back and it's great, very smooth, no night time lows/breakfast highs, I really would look into getting it changed?

Just from this forum I have read bad things about Lantus - I love my Levemir and would definitely try seeking a change?

And yes, small steps, don't feel swamped!

yingal26

Dislikes
Thank you for all your welcomes and support. I feel so much better already knowing that I have you guys (and gals) to talk to now. I've always felt rather isolated where my diabetes treatment was concerned. Even though Dad was a type one, he didnt care about it and so wasnt much help, unfortunately.

I think I have heard about a similar programme to DAFNE at The Royal, in Belfast which is pretty close to me. Its a calorie counting/carb idea. I will definitely follow the link supplied (thanks iHs). It seems to be the way to go. Just looking at food seems to make my sugar levels skyrocket at the moment. I will try to lose a stone at a time I think 9 stone is too mammoth a task. If I lose even half of that I will have a party lol let alone 14 stone! lol.

Once again, thanks so much for replying to me I honestly feel like there is some hope for me now. I will let you all know how I get on and I will talk to my GP (diabetic doctor too) about changing from Lantus to something a bit more user friendly!

Thanks
Yingal.

yingal26

Dislikes
I'm just curious. Why hasn't my doctor (or the clinic) advised the low carb idea? Are they just slow with the uptake? I was looking through some old papers I'd kept when I was a teenager. I found a peice of paper that came from an old clinic I attended as a teen. It said that at age 16 my Hba1c was 17!

My stats are currently: (1 Aug 2009)

Weight: 18 stone 8lbs, BMI: 45, Hba1c: 10.2, Insulin: Novorapid 22units x 3, Lantus 46units at night

I think I am going to research this low carb counting diet thingamy some more and get started. I feel inspired! Wish me luck!

Yingal26. :D

lionrampant

yingal26 said:
I'm just curious. Why hasn't my doctor (or the clinic) advised the low carb idea? Are they just slow with the uptake? I was looking through some old papers I'd kept when I was a teenager. I found a peice of paper that came from an old clinic I attended as a teen. It said that at age 16 my Hba1c was 17!

My stats are currently: (1 Aug 2009)

Weight: 18 stone 8lbs, BMI: 45, Hba1c: 10.2, Insulin: Novorapid 22units x 3, Lantus 46units at night

I think I am going to research this low carb counting diet thingamy some more and get started. I feel inspired! Wish me luck!

Yingal26. :D

Low carb is a controversial approach in both medicine and the greater diabetes community. If you look back at some of the older threads on here you will see some quite heated debates on the matter. The official theory goes that if you count your carbs, regardless of quantity, and adjust your insulin accordingly (or, vice versa adjust your carbs to your insulin).

I should say the best solution, in my opinion, is the middle ground. Eat however much you feel is right for you - adjust your insulin accordingly.

yingal26

Dislikes
Ah man, I have no resolve. I just couldnt get out of bed the last couple of days I havent done a bloody thing! I feel like I have no energy... :( I feel like eating my weight in glazed ring donuts!

Grrr argh.
Yingal