Type 1 Type 1 - slow digestion

Gafspa

I was diagnosed last August. I’m doing okay but I’ve noticed that when doing my bloods 2 hours after eating they are good and where I’d expect, however by bedtime they’ve shot up, often to low teens.

Since I’ve noticed this pattern I’ve been doing my bloods a lot more and this is a regular occurrence with every meal. I’ve also got an under active thyroid which I’m presuming is what’s making my digestion incredibly slow. I take novorapid- I have explained this to my consultant who was most unhelpful but is there a fast acting insulin that lasts longer?

I’m obviously still digesting food 3/4 hours after eating and then bloods are spiking.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Injected insulin follows a fixed curve over 5 hours that does not match the food you are eating. So you should be checking your blood sugars before eating and 5 hours later to see if your dose is correct.

Gafspa

Injected insulin follows a fixed curve over 5 hours that does not match the food you are eating. So you should be checking your blood sugars before eating and 5 hours later to see if your dose is correct.

Then why are you advised to take your bloods 2 hours after eating?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Gafspa, could you do half your insulin at whatever time you normally do it (pre-bolus?) and then half a bit later? For some meals I do a dual wave bolus on my pump - 50% as a pre-bolus and 50% over 2 hours, so you could do something similar but would obviously mean more injections.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Then why are you advised to take your bloods 2 hours after eating?
That's what they advise type 2 diabetics not on insulin. Type 1's are advised 5 hours after eating. Injected insulin doesn't work like a normal persons insulin.