1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Type 1 - slow digestion

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Gafspa, May 28, 2021.

1. Gafspa

Gafspa · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed last August. I’m doing okay but I’ve noticed that when doing my bloods 2 hours after eating they are good and where I’d expect, however by bedtime they’ve shot up, often to low teens.

Since I’ve noticed this pattern I’ve been doing my bloods a lot more and this is a regular occurrence with every meal. I’ve also got an under active thyroid which I’m presuming is what’s making my digestion incredibly slow. I take novorapid- I have explained this to my consultant who was most unhelpful but is there a fast acting insulin that lasts longer?

I’m obviously still digesting food 3/4 hours after eating and then bloods are spiking.

2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Injected insulin follows a fixed curve over 5 hours that does not match the food you are eating. So you should be checking your blood sugars before eating and 5 hours later to see if your dose is correct.

3. Gafspa

Gafspa · Well-Known Member

Then why are you advised to take your bloods 2 hours after eating?

4. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Gafspa, could you do half your insulin at whatever time you normally do it (pre-bolus?) and then half a bit later? For some meals I do a dual wave bolus on my pump - 50% as a pre-bolus and 50% over 2 hours, so you could do something similar but would obviously mean more injections.

5. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's what they advise type 2 diabetics not on insulin. Type 1's are advised 5 hours after eating. Injected insulin doesn't work like a normal persons insulin.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook