Abi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,
I am Abi, i'm 24 and was diagnosed type 1 in August 2016.
I am really struggling if i'm honest.. I feel i am failing at being a diabetic (as stupid as that may sound)
I am struggling to keep my BS levels in normal range, so (as bad as it sounds) i tend to not check my levels and ignore the fact i am diabetic, which i know is really stupid of me.
Currently i have quite a lot of stress at home arguing with partner constantly and practically being a single mother to a two year old. Diabetes has been put on the back burner.
Over the last couple of days i have been really trying to monitor my levels and act when they're out of normal range.. However i feel so much worse for doing so .
They have been SO up and down, and its really getting to me and upsetting me.
My partner thinks i am just being over dramatic and if its that bad i should just go to the doctor.
I need some sort of motivation to stick to this... does it get easier..
I don't really know what i'm asking in this post.. i just felt it'd help to get it out.. maybe someone has had similar experiences.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Abi123
Here's a hug.
Now, your partner is being a idiot and you know that. You can't change that.
You can to some extent change your levels (stress won't help). So test and treat.
Diabetes is not a test that we fail it is just something we deal with. Highs happen, have you been taught carb counting and correction doses?
Look after yourself so you can better care for your daughter.
Ask questions here and people will try to help.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi Abi, i really hope you feel better soon. Maybe you feel feel better once you have really taken back control & things may not be as bad as you think. You might need to go back to basics, get your basal dose sorted & then you're bolus dose, make an appointment with your diabetic doctor or nurse, they aren't going to judge you but will help you get back on track. Your insulin needs can change a lot in the first year, maybe the doses you needed when first diagnosed have now changed, stress won't help either. You're not alone we all struggle at times. I'm diabetic 27 years & still have bad days that I can't get my BG to balance but every day is a new day. If you get help & feel better hopefully the other aspects of your life don't feel just so bad. Best of luck x

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I am Abi, i'm 24 and was diagnosed type 1 in August 2016.
I am really struggling if i'm honest.. I feel i am failing at being a diabetic (as stupid as that may sound)
I am struggling to keep my BS levels in normal range, so (as bad as it sounds) i tend to not check my levels and ignore the fact i am diabetic, which i know is really stupid of me.
Currently i have quite a lot of stress at home arguing with partner constantly and practically being a single mother to a two year old. Diabetes has been put on the back burner.
Over the last couple of days i have been really trying to monitor my levels and act when they're out of normal range.. However i feel so much worse for doing so .
They have been SO up and down, and its really getting to me and upsetting me.
My partner thinks i am just being over dramatic and if its that bad i should just go to the doctor.
I need some sort of motivation to stick to this... does it get easier..
I don't really know what i'm asking in this post.. i just felt it'd help to get it out.. maybe someone has had similar experiences.
You're always welcome to vent here:)

I'm going to be very, very blunt here - so please don't be offended. Motivation to take control of your diabetes? How about living long enough to see your child grow up, retaining your sight and avoiding a catalogue of complications that us T1D's are susceptible to?

The above may appear quite abrupt, but I find that we need to be aware of the stark reality and the potential impact of poorly managed diabetes.

Diabetes is not an easy condition to manage, you are a very recent diabetic so try not to be too hard on yourself:) The good news is that over time your knowledge of the condition, carbohydrate counting skills, understanding of foods and their impact on BG, insulin dosing, etc, will all improve. Those improvements will by default lead to better control and management of your condition.

Extra stressors such as conflict with your partner and bringing up a young child will not be helping your glucose levels any. It's maybe worth having a long talk with your partner to ascertain the source of your conflict and make an attempt to resolve it. I understand as well as anyone that it's easier said than done though...

Another good means of improving BG control is by setting your basal dose correctly. It's really the foundation of successful diabetes management. Have a look at the below link for reference:

https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

If finances permit, the Freestyle Libre makes adjusting basal insulin so much easier - and it doesn't have to be long term use, just one or two sensors can be enough.

I hope you are feeling okay @Abi123, try to relax and remember that people on the forum are always here to help when you need it:)

Reactions: db89

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi abi123 ask your partner if it was the other way round and he had diabetes and you kept having a go at him bet he would be first to complain diabetes is not a flash in the pan thing I afraid it's life long so tell him to get his act in gear and start supporting you .I could say more but I won't.good luck with everything

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Abi123 ,

It does take some time to get right. In my (warped) mind I sometimes liken it to a game of snakes and ladders - it takes a long time to get to the top but it's very easy to slide down again.

Can I ask you what insulin regime the quacks have put you on?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Abi123 you are only 6 months diagnosed. If in that 6 months you've got to the point where it easier to ignore it I'd question if you've ever had a period where you are managing your diabetes?

Only because you say when you've been testing recently your levels are up and down. Well unfortunately, if you are a living breathing person that's what blood sugar does, it doesn't stay static, it will move up and down depending on what you are doing, how you are feeling, what you are eating and what insulin you are taking in.

If your just now starting to monitor and seeing your levels out of range is overwhelming that's totally understandable. It is hard to be faced with doing the job of your pancreas and doing the testing and seeing how all over the place your levels can be makes it very clear how hard it can be.

But it does get easier. If you decide to take control there are things you can do to take control over it.

First step would be to educate yourself on type 1. That might make conversations with your loved ones about what it means a bit more straight forward for you. Think like a pancreas is a great book that sets out the basics on what you need to know to manage type 1 diabetes.

If levels all over the place are making you feel unwell it is fine to seek help from the medics. Do you have the number for a DSN to call for support? The other thing the medics might do is put you forward for some diabetes education (a DAFNE course) which might help in learning about how to take control.

You're doing the most important thing at the moment to take control- lots of testing. Don't stop testing just because you don't like the results your seeing. Yes it can be disheartening and frustrating to see unwanted numbers. But try not to think of the as good/bad results. They are just results. And you can only do something about the results if you've done the testing to get them.

If you're on a basal bolus regiem it would be worth doing some basal testing to make sure you background dose is right for you.

Then you can check your insulin to carb ratio is right for you. You can learn more about carb counting with a free online course.

Once you've got the basics down the controlling it part will feel easier. If your levels are constantly swinging it will feel like you're fighting it all the time. Taking control should ease that feeling. And, unfortunately, @GrantGam 's points on the consequences of uncontrolled diabetes are very true, you can ignore your diabetes but your diabetes won't ignore you. If you've got it controlled and taught yourself the skills to manage it you can reduce the risks of the diabetes complications.

Reactions: db89

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
does it get easier..

Can't really add much more to what's already been said, but YES it does get easier @Abi123

Just don't struggle alone, do make your diabetes team aware of the problems so that they can provide help & support. Good luck.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Abi123 Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear of your struggles, it's alot to deal with emotionally and physically in keeping yourself well.

Putting yourself first is an absolute priority, your daughter relies on you, if you're well and managing ok then everything else falls into place. Stressing about your relationship is going to affect your blood glucose levels, knowing this will help you understand more the importance of staying on track, so it's important to put yourself first above all else. Sadly relationships can test your control, we are only human, but having a good regime of testing, injecting and correcting will help stablise your blood glucose levels. Start as suggested above with checking your basal levels, this will help you see if this is keeping you on target.

I also urge you to speak to your DSN or consultant and explaining your difficulties with them, they will also help get you back on track.

Sending you a big hug, things will get better, you've asked for help now so don't stop until you get the advice you need and can use it to get back on track, I call them blips, I have a few also but they help us to educate and focus us on what we need to do ;)

Reactions: Diakat

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My nurse told me that when you feel like this and control isn't great, to work on one thing at a time. E.g. Maybe just your morning readings or making sure you take the right amount of hypo treatment. I thought this was really good advice which is helping to motivate me as it seems a more manageable task rather than trying to fix everything. Good luck

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Harnessing T1 feel very much like learning how to roller blade. When you feel like you've got the hang of it, 2 secs later you fall flat on your face because a different stone got in your way.
Don't feel like you've failed. You can never win with it. See it like a video game. A new level every few weeks. New challenges, different ways to adapt. It will never stay the same but you'll conquer that level if you focus on it.
Instead of saying you've failed, think of it as you've reached a new level.