Type 1: Swimming

M

mist

How drastically would say an hour of swimming lengths affect blood sugars? Have you ever had a hypo while in the pool?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How drastically would say an hour of swimming lengths affect blood sugars? Have you ever had a hypo while in the pool?

It depends how you react to exercise. Some people find it makes their BS high, but I find the opposite, so I start my swim with a good BS, topping up with a few glucose tablets if necessary.

My advice is to tell the lifeguard you have Type 1, put your meter and glucose by the pool, and stop to test at frequent intervals. I find swimming burns off a lot of glucose personally, but you'll need to find how it affects you.

M

mist

It depends how you react to exercise. Some people find it makes their BS high, but I find the opposite, so I start my swim with a good BS, topping up with a few glucose tablets if necessary.

My advice is to tell the lifeguard you have Type 1, put your meter and glucose by the pool, and stop to test at frequent intervals. I find swimming burns off a lot of glucose personally, but you'll need to find how it affects you.

Thanks, exercise in general lowers my blood sugars.

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, exercise in general lowers my blood sugars.

Well then, I think you'll probably find swimming lowers them a fair bit so watch out for lows. Even starting at a higher sugar, I find I still need glucose tablets. I also find that the lowering effects of swimming can continue for a bit after I leave the pool, so keep testing for a few hours afterwards.

Enjoy your swimming :)