Type 1: Tips?

AmberFelipa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going on a girls party holiday in the summer,does anyone have any tips and advice?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Make sure you have all your kit.
Make sure a mate knows what to do if you go hypo and has some jelly babies in her bag too.
If abroad write down insulin dependent diabetic in the local language in case you need to show anyone.
Have fun!

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going on a girls party holiday in the summer,does anyone have any tips and advice?

Take plenty of testing strips and test regularly. Take hypo treatments too, and maybe some handy snacks.

If you're drinking alcohol be extra-careful not to go low.

Enjoy yourself but don't forget to test/inject. It's annoying, but keeping good control will allow you to relax and have fun.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have fun!!!
I notice when I'm on holiday I tend to run on the low side so beware if you do too. And alcohol and the sun ( though a beautiful combo) can really make make me go low.

I would bring back ups af all my tools.

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Hi :)

It would be best to separate your insulin/testing strips, etc in different bags. If you put them all in one bag and lose the bag, you have a problem. If you spread it all out and lose one bag, at least there's another bag full :)

Reactions: Diakat

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't let your insulin overheat n the sun and be careful of using hotel room fridges in case they are too cold. If you're in Europe get your ehic card.