Type 1 w Neuropathy - some questions

Bux7phx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just recently joined the forum and had a few questions regarding neuropathy:

1. People speak of pain, pins and needles, or numbness - is one specifically better/worse? I don't really have any numbness to speak of, but definitely a pins and needles feeling that exists on top of feet and calves primarily. It causes a bit of pain (maybe a 2 out of 10 on pain scale).

2. Are there any specific foods that can assist with lessening these symptoms?

3. When getting blood sugars under control, using the proper supplements (a-la), and applying your diet, how much improvement to neuropathy is seen? Does it only flair up when blood glucose gets high, or does neuropathy reduce so significantly that an occasional high situation does not come into play?

I will probably have many more questions on here, as occasionally, I can't tell if something is considered good or bad if I feel a little flare up of a nerve in my leg or anywhere else on my body. Thanks.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bux7phx, from what i read the only sure way to prevent or heal(limited) neuropathy in type 1 or 2 is make sure your bs is total in good control , when i mean good control it do not mean spiking to 11 mol every time you eat it mean never spiking more than 7.8 mmol/L after 2 hour after meal and keep fasting level below 6 if can. You can read about the effect of bs level here http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php .

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just recently joined the forum and had a few questions regarding neuropathy:

1. People speak of pain, pins and needles, or numbness - is one specifically better/worse? I don't really have any numbness to speak of, but definitely a pins and needles feeling that exists on top of feet and calves primarily. It causes a bit of pain (maybe a 2 out of 10 on pain scale).

2. Are there any specific foods that can assist with lessening these symptoms?

3. When getting blood sugars under control, using the proper supplements (a-la), and applying your diet, how much improvement to neuropathy is seen? Does it only flair up when blood glucose gets high, or does neuropathy reduce so significantly that an occasional high situation does not come into play?

I will probably have many more questions on here, as occasionally, I can't tell if something is considered good or bad if I feel a little flare up of a nerve in my leg or anywhere else on my body. Thanks.
Since getting my BG under control mainly because of the low carb diet and 300 mg of ALA daily most of the neuropathy
Symptoms are slowly disappearing, I have to credit this forum for the many excellent posts and following their advice
Stick around it’s well worth it.