Type 1 - Weight Loss

weeza44

Hi there,

I've been diagnosed with Type 1 (hoorah!) and although I am coping well with needles and such forth the one thing that I am struggling with is weight loss. I am not over weight but just want to shape up - my nurse said that losing weight was harder when on insulin.. Are there any tips that you can give me to help with this as no amount of exercise or healthy eating seems to shift even a few pounds (either that or my scales are broken ;))

Cheers :)

Lel

Hey,

I learned the hard way that insulin is a fat building hormone so therefore the less you take the less you get fat lol.

I'm trying to remedy this by sticking to a very strict (i say very strict but i have very little will power lol)low carb diet to try and shift the Lbs.

Exercise plenty and count your carbs as much as possible and bolus accordingly.

Good Luck....wish me luck to i have a wedding in November and have to lose half a tonne lol :D

weeza44

Thanks for your response!
(Really love this forum - so handy for all those questions you feel silly asking your Dr or nurse)

So its back to basics and counting carbs, knew it had to be easy.

Good luck for the wedding; I'm sure you will look wonderful on the day :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just remember that's their job so no question is silly to them.
If only that was true, I might get paid for it one day! No, we're all strictly unpaid punters I'm afraid. :(
Hi weeza44. Your nurse is quite right about insulin - it's the body's principal fat building hormone. You should find any excess weight much easier to shift if you lower your doses because, as well as helping build fat, high levels of insulin prevent us from burning it too.
Using less insulin usually relies upon eating less starchy or refined carbohydrates.

All the best,

fergus