Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hi Oaldgreymare,

Thanks for your reply. I was diagnosed in 2012 and rumbled along well until this year.
Saw my gp in Feb and told him my monitor was measuring from high teens to mid 20's with no apparent reason (no dietary/lifestyle changes). He increased my metformin to 2g daily and added 80mg glicazide.
I asked him if he'd let my endo know and refer me for an appointment, which he refused to do.

I went to the surgery yesterday and saw a locum, who pointed out the hbAc 1 test result, I just wondered if, once my gp had the test result, he should have made the referral, as my endo appt has been postponed until 31st July.

Sorry if it's all a bit rambling, but I really don't want to encounter the complications that can result from chronic high bg. I've tried to get an earlier endo appointment, but they won't make one without a letter from my gp - I feel as if I'm going around in circles.
Hi Ness,

Given the target HbAc1 for Type 2 is 48 (6.5%) or less, it is disappointing that your GP isn't offering more proactive support. That said, I note your result is from February and your GP did up your medication. Are you still monitoring your BG levels - have they changed at all since you have increased medication? Until your BG control is acceptable I think it is reasonable to ask for a HbAc1 test every 3 months. Once stabilised on a regime that works for you many doctors may reduce monitoring to every 6 or 12 months. Just ask your GP to rerun the HBAc1 this month and give you the results before your next endo appointment. Worst case I understand that you can order a private HbAc1 via Lloyds pharamcy.

But diet and exercise can be very powerful tools for some Type 2's to manage their BG levels, with or without additional medication, as many on this site can attest. Reducing carbohydrate intake can work very well plus regular aerobic exercise (even just brisk walking). Lots of references and resources on this site. :)

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you so much for your advice Oldgreymare, yes you're quite right the results are a bit out of date!

I will ask my gp to rerun the test, hopefully the numbers will be better now my meds ave been changed.
As for diet, I'm pretty good, I watch my carbs and if I do eat them, I go for the lowest gi.

Exercise is a problem as I have hidradenitis, which makes movement a bit tricky, particularly as I'm having constant abscesses at the moment. This is arguably what's behind my high blood sugar - a friend who is a surgeon, suggested that tackling the hidra might bring my numbers back in line. Think I'll take that up with my endo in July.

Thanks again for your interest and support.

Reactions: 2 people

Spatta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fake people
Mine has been slowly increasing and is at 100% from 86% so my nurse took me off the pump and put me back on pens =[

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lin 26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
New result is 72 so very pleased since diagnosis in February. What is this as % anyone?

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
7.8% today (or 62 in new money, I think) - not great but going in the right direction.

Brought up the subject of improving it and was told I'm doing well and don't need to worry :-/

Reactions: 3 people

Saber

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cucumber
My most recent one was 9.7% and I was very disappointed. This is after going onto the insulin pump. I did have a good patch of 8% for a few years and I would really like to get it even lower than that. 7% would be a real achievement for me. I also have to say I need a bit more education on the new measuring system of HBA1c's.

Desert Diva

My latest on was 5.3 which I am really pleased with:)only to be met by the G.P's comment " oh, we prefer our Diabetics to be around 6!' ...seriously!?!.:mad::facepalm:

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My latest on was 5.3 which I am really pleased with:)only to be met by the G.P's comment " oh, we prefer our Diabetics to be around 6!' ...seriously!?!.:mad::facepalm:

You just cannot win either way! Well done on that result. What do GP's know anyway! :D

shr1969

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who claim they know how I feel.
Been told to test my blood when I'm grumpy.
Constantly been asked "should you be eating that".
In March mine was about 15% - a lot of focus and in May was 5.1% :)