Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
We must all do our own research and decide how we want to manage diabetes though. If I can maintain below 6 that is my mission accomplished.

Ali

Indeed, but it's also good to share knowledge - as you have done; life can sometimes be overwhelming for anyone and people can loose the will to do the legwork so any quick nods, such as yours, can really help.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer to try and aim lower, put it that way. Some agree, some disagree, but I enjoy low carbing so why not.

Ali

Reactions: 2 people

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiteful people, noisy naughty kids
We must all do our own research and decide how we want to manage diabetes though. If I can maintain below 6 that is my mission accomplished.

Ali
I would love to know why a Dr got really mad at me because my months levels were pre-diabetic. He was quite horrid about it. I decided to ignore him and carry on

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I would love to know why a Dr got really mad at me because my months levels were pre-diabetic. He was quite horrid about it. I decided to ignore him and carry on

Perhaps he was worried about his job... I mean, if you can maintain pre-diabetic levels without his involvement...

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Fleurtess, in what way? Too low, too high, what was he mad about?

Ali

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Small portions of food and Lord of the rings .
Perhaps he was worried about his job... I mean, if you can maintain pre-diabetic levels without his involvement...
At the end of the day you are the one who has to live with it...and the greater risk complications should you follow their advice.

mod edit - anna29

Last edited by a moderator:

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly, thankfully all the medical peeps I deal with are supportive.

Ali

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I prefer to try and aim lower, put it that way. Some agree, some disagree, but I enjoy low carbing so why not.

Ali

I intend to hit 6% by next spring and 5%-5.5% by autumn 2016... Although I will adjust those timescales accordingly if I reach 6% this year, etc.

I dare not go lower or faster as that can worsen my retinopathy.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can we all get back on track and stick to the title of the thread, if people want to discuss diets then start off a separate thread, lets not derail this one.

Reactions: 4 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Done it again, 3 months ago 4.9 % and today 4.9% again. Bit surprised as I didn't put much effort in this time around and wouldn't class myself as a lower carber anymore. Also blitzed my LDL cholesterol , 3 months ago it was at 190 mg/dl and after lots of artichoke now its 106 mg/dl.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After just over a month of low carbing there is a slight improvement...down from 9% to 8.5%...I'm determined now though...I will get it into normal happy numbers again.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my first one since diagnosis and really happy. Was 10% in January and got results today of 6.3%! Still think I can do better but not complaining :)

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely gutted. Just got mine back and they were 49.
No idea why but my sugars have been going mental and in the last 3 weeks they've been the highest since diagnoses.

Can't make any progress it seems

Replicant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosted type 1 2.5 years ago. Last week I had my first follow up. HbA1c was 6.4% or 46 mmol/mol. Quite pleased about that since I had no idea what to expect.

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just got my results back yesterday. It was 36 and I was so happy. Then the doctor started telling me it was too low and it needed to be closer to 50. I said "you realise 50 is an average of about 8 mmol/l?? I'm pregnant and I'm meant to be between 4 and 7." to which he responded "It's fine to go up to 11 after a meal..." I got so mad! Is he trying to harm my baby?? What is wrong with doctors?? Why don't they want us to have a normal HbA1c??

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
October 2014 16.4%,
February 2015 6.8%,
May 2015 6.8%

Could be better, could be worse.

Goldmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got my results 3 weeks after diagnosis- dropped from 15% to 11.8%. I'm so relieved- makes it all seems worth it. And I figured out a plan with the diabetes nurse so I can have a glass of champagne AND a small slice of chocolate cake to celebrate a big family birthday at the weekend!

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last HbA1c was 8.6% (old way) in March - just had it done again last week!

I have been T1 for 26 years now and always been between 7-9% after a few bad teenage years of being in the 10% area - worrying about the future now (28 years old now).

I keep trying to get my HbA1c down to 5-6% with no success! I test my glucose levels every hour or two to try and keep track - getting very obsessed! I still use multiple daily injections - basal bolus.

How does everyone with a HbA1c of 5-6% do it?!?! Would love some honest advice :)

x

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last HbA1c was 8.6% (old way) in March - just had it done again last week!

I have been T1 for 26 years now and always been between 7-9% after a few bad teenage years of being in the 10% area - worrying about the future now (28 years old now).

I keep trying to get my HbA1c down to 5-6% with no success! I test my glucose levels every hour or two to try and keep track - getting very obsessed! I still use multiple daily injections - basal bolus.

How does everyone with a HbA1c of 5-6% do it?!?! Would love some honest advice :)

x
I got down to mid/low 6s by medium-carb diet (around 150-180g/day) but didn't get into the 5s until I went low-carb.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was looking for this thread last week but couldn't find it.
New personal best last Thursday - 5.5% (37)

Reactions: 9 people