Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Replicant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cara, I have been type 1 about 2.5 years. My first HbA1c test after diagnosis was last week. 6.4% or 46 mmol/mol.

I do not follow any particular diet but I typically eat less than 180 gram carbs per day. Meals with high (>50 gram) carb content mess my system so I avoid them. No Pizza, no pasta, no white bread, not much rice, no sugary drinks, no sweets, no cakes. I drink about a bottle of red wine per day :).

Levemir twice a day, evening 12 units, morning 10 units. Novorapid before meals, estimate or count carbs. I use on average 15 units of Novorapid per day. My height is 182 cm, weight 78 kg. I exercise three times a week (7 km brisk walk).

This works for me, very seldom over 10.

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Replicant - useful to know - I always think I'm quite good with my diet but definitely need to be stricter with low GI and low carbs if I want a better HbA1c!

Would love to exercise more but I am busy with a toddler and a baby so walking and running after them is all :) Luckily weight is good.

Had my HbA1c result back today and it was 8.1% (65) so down 0.5% in 2 months - in the right direction! x

Reactions: 2 people

FrankieAngels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed and just recently got my first HbA1c test results back. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that it was 10.7% seeing my blood sugar was up to 35mmol when admitted to hospital!

I'm working really hard to get my numbers down and I'm mostly under 10 on a daily basis. I understand it'll take some time to see those efforts reflected in the HbA1c but you can only do what you can do from day to day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alshaqaq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My HbA1c is 6.4% ( that was one month ago). Diagnosed in 2011 and since then this is the lowest HbA1c I have got. I was not aware of the importance of exercising and the right choices of meals in controlling my blood sugar.

Lantus 25 units in the evening + Novorapid twice before lunch and breakfast (total of 8 units).
I'm working hard to make it in (4 -5)% range.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My HbA1c is 6.4% ( that was one month ago). Diagnosed in 2011 and since then this is the lowest HbA1c I have got. I was not aware of the importance of exercising and the right choices of meals in controlling my blood sugar.

Lantus 25 units in the evening + Novorapid twice before lunch and breakfast (total of 8 units).
I'm working hard to make it in (4 -5)% range.
You don't need NovoRapid before dinner?

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't need NovoRapid before dinner?
Some people prefer to do it before dinner and some do it after dinner/lunch or otherwise, I personally only inject when my sugars get high i.e. above 9 mmol/l.
You may say that is why I have such a high HbA1c but i'm keeping it in range in the short term and I say thats why HbA1c is a bit inaccurate on how well you are controlling your diabetes. I wish the hospital focus more on complications or other diseases rather than hba1c.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1434088602.893804.jpg

Yes I'm a geek, and so pleased with my results I made a little picture, like a child! Lmao

Reactions: 17 people

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Some people prefer to do it before dinner and some do it after dinner/lunch or otherwise, I personally only inject when my sugars get high i.e. above 9 mmol/l.
You may say that is why I have such a high HbA1c but i'm keeping it in range in the short term and I say thats why HbA1c is a bit inaccurate on how well you are controlling your diabetes. I wish the hospital focus more on complications or other diseases rather than hba1c.
I think an HbA1c of 14% is high. What does your GP say?
If you only inject when your BG is higher than 9, your blood glucose is running much higher than that as the insulin will not be peaking for around an hour after you inject. So until the insulin starts to work your BG is continuing to rise.

Tracey 68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my daughter had hba1c of 50 and have been told it would be type 2 as not high enough for type 1 she originally went to gp for something completely different, im not as sure as she has a sister who is type 1

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Cara, I have been type 1 about 2.5 years. My first HbA1c test after diagnosis was last week. 6.4% or 46 mmol/mol.

I do not follow any particular diet but I typically eat less than 180 gram carbs per day. Meals with high (>50 gram) carb content mess my system so I avoid them. No Pizza, no pasta, no white bread, not much rice, no sugary drinks, no sweets, no cakes. I drink about a bottle of red wine per day :).

Levemir twice a day, evening 12 units, morning 10 units. Novorapid before meals, estimate or count carbs. I use on average 15 units of Novorapid per day. My height is 182 cm, weight 78 kg. I exercise three times a week (7 km brisk walk).

This works for me, very seldom over 10.

Not surprising really, in view of how much wine you're consuming - 'one bottle a day'!!!

You may be keeping your diabetes under control, but you will drink your liver into sclerosis (that's another term for cancer, by the way).

For your own benefit, reduce that by six bottles per week.

Otherwise, well done - no easy thing.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
my daughter had hba1c of 50 and have been told it would be type 2 as not high enough for type 1 she originally went to gp for something completely different, im not as sure as she has a sister who is type 1

Hello @Tracey 68,

The information you need is located here:

www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-test.html
Your daughters results would suggest type 2.

Kind regards,
Conrad

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Two months ago = 76, last weeks result = 49 !

Reactions: 4 people

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I had my first HbA1c test result at the start of May = 47. I was told it was (unexpectedly) good, but to be honest, as a newbie it didn't mean anything.

I can see now that it is a good start, but I know I'm in the honeymoon period.

Once I found out what I was doing (thanks for everyone's help) and I do have good support from the NHS, my BG readings tend to stay in a range of 6 - 8. (This is much better than the 20ish I started out with at the start of this year.). I'd like to lower this slightly to 5 - 7 (not too low as I drive).

I've changed my diet to lower my carbs to about 150 - 180g per day. It's difficult to go much lower as I'm vegetarian, so eat pulses and wholegrains. Moreover, since my original illness (acute pancreatitis) that led to diabetes, I'm fighting to stop losing crazy amounts of weight. There's a limit to how much protein I can eat (no meat/fish) and I'm already force-feeding myself what seems unhealthy amounts of fat, so I can't cut back on carbs too much. (I'm 5ft 8in and 10st 6lbs at present, which is a healthy weight and I've not been this size since a teenager, except I keep losing 1 or 2 lbs every week).

I walk briskly every day for 30 mins (if anyone's interested, I've measured my BG several times before/after and observed a 3 - 4 mmol drop on each walk, so simple exercise is worth doing). I'm not well enough to do anything more energetic.

Good health to all of you!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Got my latest set of results back from the doctor today. Interesting reading and changes that reflect what is different in my diet.

Firstly Hba1C - last time out 6.0%, this time round 5.8% or 40 in new money! :woot:

Secondly Kidney function - eGFR 90 vs 71 last time round. The difference? I think I'm eating less protein than I was and this is reflected in Creatanine level, which has dropped from 105 to 76. All good :D

Finally Cholesterol, which has done the following:

Total Cholesterol - 4.25, up from 3.6
HDL - 1.6 down from 2.03
LDL 2.44 up from 1.47
Trigs - 0.46 up slightly from 0.42
i.e. Non-HDL Cholesterol is 2.65 up from 1.6

Now then, commentary on diet. Since my last time around, I've been eating slightly less protein, more carbs and we reintroduced dairy into the diet. I've also stopped the statins. Clearly the combination of more carbs and dairy + the lack of statins has made a difference to the Cholesterol levels, even though they aren't currently anything to be worried about.

The best part for me is that the Hba1C level is now below 6. The only thing really driving that has to be the use of the Libre CGM.

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Brief update on this one, went back and checked Protein levels as well, and basically everything (Kidney Funciton, Liver Function and Hba1C) is better than it was, in some cases quite a lot, except for Cholesterol, which is a bit worse but not worth worrying about.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my appointment with my Endocrinologist and my blood work shows my HbA1c to be 5.7%!

I am fairly surprised since I was expecting it to be in the 6% range. Since starting my pump my sugars have been higher then i would like them to be over night and still have lots of tuning to do. But i will take it while i can get it! lol

@tim2000s Have you read that research paper that came out of Japan saying that people with higher cholesterol live longer lives? haha if not i think you should take a look! I posted a link to it on this forum a while back, but if you need it i can post again.