Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Life is not to slide into your grave in perfect condition, but to live life to the fullest, do everything you ever wanted and shout Wow what a fantastic ride that was.

Just read this thread and the above was a tag line from the first poster, BRILLIANT !

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got my results for my 2nd HBA1c and told the limit was under 11, my results told me it was 17.9%, it was high, but you can't really blame me for thinking it was a hypo on a hot summer/autumn day in turn eating a massive amount of food increasing my blood sugars by 10 mmol/l at least and an hour later giving my blood to the doctors should have given insulin and even tested my blood had I been able to, I was out and about with the stuff but nowhere to inject or test.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Last hba1c 6.7.

I acheived this on a high carb diet at the expense of a lot of weight gain and a fair number of hypos. I was suprised as I thought it would be higher, but maybe the hypos balanced out the highs.

Still it proves that in theory it is possible to still eat a lot of normal food if you are on insulin and inject a corresponding amount of insulin.

I don't recommend it and am now trying to eat lower carb.

Still it means those of us on insulin have a certain degree of choice, depending on what we are willing to put up with in exchange.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Anonymous

Unofficial HBA1c today of 6% (42) - that's 1 point higher than last month but I did come off the insulin for 2 weeks during that time so quite pleased it hasn't risen more.

david252

I have been diabetic for 34 years (since age 10) and my HbA1c's have fluctuated from 13% in my teens (I was going through a bit of a rebellious phase combined with the hormones of adolescence) to 6.5% over the last few years since starting pump therapy. Please learn from my experience that keeping your blood sugars under control is of the utmost importance. Unfortunately all my earlier years of poor control have left me with stage 5 kidney disease, 2 CVA's, neuropathy and retinopathy (requiring laser Rx). It is crucial to keep your Hba1c to as close to 7.5% as possible (or lower if hypo's aren't an issue). I don't want to panic anybody though and a few years at 8 or 9% won't make much difference but do try and get it down to target.

leahshort

Hi i'm new to the forum. Ive been diabetic for 18 years (not the best controlled at that). I have been on a pump since march which has brought my HBA1C down from 10-11 mark to 8 in only 3 months. Am awaiting results tomorrow so fingers crossed down even more. Everybody is different and as long as you try your best its all that can be asked of you. We are only human after all

JP83

Got my fist check up results yesterday. Got my reading down from 123 in July on diagnosis to 55 yesterday.
I'm chuffed, although my consultant said it's easier to manage in the honeymoon period. Still I had a celebratory drink or two :D

AMBrennan

Simples: Divide by 10.9 and add 2.15. Or use this tool.

Also, got mine back at 32 mmol/mol (5.1%). Consultant only made a nominal attempt to remind me about the dangers of tight control.

iHs

I'm fairly happy with an a1c of 6.8 - 7.2%. I've had an a1c of 6.4% which came at a price of having too many bg levels of 2mmol, so unless I get a cgm which is fairly accurate, tight control is somewhat dangerous for me as a type 1 (48yrs).

AMBrennan

Well, it all depends on how your diabetes is. My BG is very very stable - fasting BG is about 4.5, stays there all day and I don't get any hypos. [Thus the nominal reminder only]. Obviously it's not appropriate for everyone.

Goody

Been a Type 1 Diabetic for about 1 year now. My 1st HbA1c was 6.9 and my recent was 6.1 which im happy about. My nurse has said its slightly too low and should reduce my background insulin..

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
On diagnosis I was 9.7, the second HbA1C test I took in was in September '12 and it was 5.3. Credit goes to low carbing and lots of running. Hoping to get it below 5 in November now i've got a multigym in the garage and rapid insulin for tighter control.