Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.5 the other day. I hadn't tested it in probably 7 years, but it's always been between 5.8 and 6.5. I buy the test kits at CVS or online.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How quickly (with control below 10, ideally under 8) can it be reduced? Just recently diagnosed, HbA1c was 125 on admission. Target is 54 or lower. It there a certain number of months it would take (eg. Reduction of 10 per month so 7 months?). I understand it won't drop stright away as the test is a historical snapshot of how things have behaved but I'm just curious.

eddiemac

Mine is currently 59 but god only knows how!! Wake up most mornings between 10 and 20! Trying to get funding for the new Libre meter which will tell me whats going on in the night!

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How quickly (with control below 10, ideally under 8) can it be reduced? Just recently diagnosed, HbA1c was 125 on admission. Target is 54 or lower. It there a certain number of months it would take (eg. Reduction of 10 per month so 7 months?). I understand it won't drop stright away as the test is a historical snapshot of how things have behaved but I'm just curious.

It's only 1 month average, so theoretically straight away.

Last one was 37. Been told to get it up.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Today's result.... 30 I was gobsmacked!

Reactions: CathP

linda_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!
After 25 years of (I'm going to admit being an awful diabetic) I got my latest HB1AC yesterday. Four years ago I was diagnosed with DKA after suffering Diabulmia for three years I then experienced retinopathy in my left eye so I've been through it all! My HBA1C at that time was 14. Over the last few years I got it down to 8 then 7 but have never managed to get lower than that. Yesterday I was told it was 6.5! I'm so happy and relieved I finally got there. I know it's only one reading and it could change but I've been working so hard to get it down and to finally get there is an amazing feeling!

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!
After 25 years of (I'm going to admit being an awful diabetic) I got my latest HB1AC yesterday. Four years ago I was diagnosed with DKA after suffering Diabulmia for three years I then experienced retinopathy in my left eye so I've been through it all! My HBA1C at that time was 14. Over the last few years I got it down to 8 then 7 but have never managed to get lower than that. Yesterday I was told it was 6.5! I'm so happy and relieved I finally got there. I know it's only one reading and it could change but I've been working so hard to get it down and to finally get there is an amazing feeling!

Good for you linda_b! Good feeling I bet!

Reactions: linda_b

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got result from GP today for blood test I had 2 weeks ago, HBA1C was 53.

Now to go to my hospital for blood test in the next week or so for my diabetic team at the hospital...

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got my letter today with latest result (was being tested for wacky thyroid and spoke to endocrinology consultant about that one last week, but forgot to ask what my HbA1c was). It's 36 - I'm staggered.

Have been having more hypos than usual thanks to not quite adjusting correctly for all the exercise I've been doing. And it's showing.

When I saw my consultant in February (admittedly not the one I see for my diabetes) and he noticed my previous HbA1c had been 42 he gave me a bit of a lecture and said he'd be more comfortable if if was 48.

So, low enough but still high enough seems to be the aim of the game. Between two lines. I HATE those two lines........!

;):banghead::)

Reactions: βɪℒʟẙ

finn99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most recent - 6.7%, which is a great improvement on my previous ones - making great progress!

Reactions: Diakat

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This quote from the Forum Rules:

"We will talk about HBA1c numbers using the terms ‘below range’, ‘in range’ and ‘above range’. Please don’t use the specific number as this may be triggering."

My question is: triggering what?

Your referring to the rules in the Eating disorders and diabetes (a sub-section in the Type 1 forum). The forum rules are in the Greetings and Introduction section of the forum, here they are:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This quote from the Forum Rules:

"We will talk about HBA1c numbers using the terms ‘below range’, ‘in range’ and ‘above range’. Please don’t use the specific number as this may be triggering."

My question is: triggering what?

Youre quoting the rules for the diabetics with eating disorders forum. It should be fairly self explanatory what the triggering is referring to in that context.

This thread is not a part of the eating disorder sub forum.