1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by 1974darrenh, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

yes I dont spike much as I don´t eat much that spikes, bus a type 2 I have serious bloblems with my overactive liver that produces far too much glucose .
    Like today I didn´t eat anything but some cottage cheese, and then did 4.5 hours of intencive excercise and my blood glucose did only go down from 6.0 till 5.3 even though I did burn the highest numbers of calories on a single days excercise today 1750 calories... so I have some Mountains to climb before my levels would be normal on a 2200 calorie diet in the far future...(now today I´ll eat only 1400 calories, as I have used more energy than usual, but tomorrow only 1000 calories..)

I think right at this point diabetes type 1 is different from type 2 at least in the earlier stages

2. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

oh this is for type 1, sorry for interfering :);););););):rolleyes:

3. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not at all - I think it's for all types to try and keep levels in range as best we can :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. SRO

SRO Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Had my hba1c today!
    Down to 52!!!

Wasn't expecting it to be quite so low (compared to where I've been), but I'm bloody proud of that!

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Swissgirl

Swissgirl · Active Member

Mine was 6.8%, best Result since Diagnosis.

6. Anna Lozikevich

Anna Lozikevich Type 1 · Member

7. Natalie1974

Natalie1974 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

6.2%...down from 6.6%...and the lowest I've ever had since diagnosis...feeling quite smug :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

4.9 % , so I stay in the 4 % club.

9. dexocracy

dexocracy Type 1 · Member

5.3%, down from 10.3% at diagnosis in late September.

10. DR_Hornet

DR_Hornet Type 1 · Member

7.2% very happy. A lot of credit to the Libre

11. fleurtess

fleurtess Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My last test this month was 6.5mmol

12. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Back down to an HbA1c result of 42mmol/mol, which is 6% in 'old money' - and without anything like the number or severity of hypos I was having pre-pump.

God bless the Freestyle Libre....

:):):)

13. KezG

KezG Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not been tested since diagnosis in November when it was 139.. I was told this was ''Sky high'' but still don't know how this relates to my current glucose levels which are usually between 5.5 and 10.mmols. Id imagine my Hba1c wouldbe a good bit lower today than it was back in November.

14. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A HbA1c of 139 equates to an average blood sugar of 21. But your last hba1c result does not in any way shape or form relate to your current glucose levels. A hba1c test is showing you what your blood sugar was looking like for the previous three months. Your hba1c taken on diagnosis is likely to be your highest because it's measured your levels during a period when you had untreated diabetes. Now you are treating with insulin you should have a bit more control over you blood sugar, whereas before you didn't even know blood sugar was a thing that needed controlling. You should make sure you leave it three months since your last hba1c before getting tested again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. KezG

KezG Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for answering my query @catapillar. With luck my next test will show a decent improvement.

16. DiabeticSince1

DiabeticSince1 Type 1 · Member

Elaborate please. Do you want the NGSP unit or the new IFCC unit? (which is what all hospitals use now) let me explain the two;
    NGSP = %HbA1c | Is the old percentage unit, (less accurate since its percentages) example; 5.1% which mean that you have an average bloodsugar level of 5.4 <---- the unit most people here are answering with.
    People before me has answered with that unit, its really odd to be honest, since it was changed so long ago.
    IFCC = mmol/mol | Is the new system, more accuracy based, where they use 20 to 110 instead of percentages.

I use the new system, so.... 32, which in NGSP units is 5.1%
    Been slacking ._.

17. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

You can answer with whatever unit you like. Many people use both.

For many people, the older unit is more memorable/relevant to their targets. It's just like the way many people happily use centimetres and metres in daily life, but might still give their height as 5 foot 10 or whatever in the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. DiabeticSince1

DiabeticSince1 Type 1 · Member

Okay, fair enough ^.^ Thanks for responding!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. leking

leking Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just got mine back after 4 weeks on the libre.

45/6.3

The previous one prior to the libre was 53/7.0.

That doesn't tell the whole story though.. My management used to be full of massive highs and lows, now days go by without me going over 8mmol..

In 3 months when I test again, hopefully it'll drop again after a full 3 months on this fantastic machine!

20. .gurley

.gurley Type 1 · Active Member

Been getting good figures recently with a 5.0 or 30 depending on conversion and have maintained between 5.0 and 6.0 for over two years now. On Medtronic pump with CGM works very well but you end up kind of married to it wearing 24/7, but if it keeps me healthy and live a longer life its good!!!

• Like Like x 1
    #1500 .gurley, Jan 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2017
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook