Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
5.0 % today, despite the heat and hyper from hell when out cycling on Sunday.

Libre's average prediction was 5.05% for the last 90 days, very impressed with that :)

Reactions: JoBodensee

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
With Endo' today, and was given a number of 7.5%.

Curiously, my Libre also gives last 90 day average as 7.5. I don't know why I'm surprised by this!

Reactions: Wurst

Leaden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food
Hi I was diagnosed T2 in 2010 after 10 months of testing . My last HbA1c in April this year was 49 prior to that it was 97 I don't know what the units are. I don't follow any diet, eat and drink what I like when I like and if I don't want to eat then I won't. My diabetes lives with me I don't live with it.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
37 (5.5%), which is the same as 6 months ago. A year ago was 38.

Good results, yes, but is hard work and still insanely frustrating sometimes.

Would not be possible for me without Dexcom.

ajd564

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: What are your H test results?

Just in case we've reallly confused you now, :-
Our tests are mmol/l, your "instant" blood sugar
HbA1c teat, the "average" test, WAS a %, and still often referred to as that
NEW figures for HbA1c now in mmol/mol, just converted!
Confused?

Hi, I'm still fairly new to the diabetes world, so sorry if I'm being dumb! I get my HbA1c in mmol/mol should i also be getting a %. Also some people are saying their HbA1c is 7.2 but mine come as 72 mmol/mol so is that just an average of 7.2?

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm still fairly new to the diabetes world, so sorry if I'm being dumb! I get my HbA1c in mmol/mol should i also be getting a %. Also some people are saying their HbA1c is 7.2 but mine come as 72 mmol/mol so is that just an average of 7.2?

Hi in the Uk we're not given the % number anymore ( that was the old way of reporting), but for some it is easier and more familiar to state it that way.

Put your 72 into the middle box on this link and you will see your scores.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

The left hand box is the old % way of reporting (8.7%). The right hand box is what that implies your average blood sugar fingerstick reading would be (11.3).

And this explains what HbA1c is and targets to aim for.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
5.7%/39mmol/mol - exactly where NightScout was predicting. Not unexpected either thanks to the artificial pancreas.

@Draco16 - if you have a CGM, do you have a pump? Sounds as though you're sugar surfing at the moment, and the APS systems really take the effort out of achieveing lower Hba1C values.

Reactions: JoBodensee

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Draco16 - if you have a CGM, do you have a pump? Sounds as though you're sugar surfing at the moment, and the APS systems really take the effort out of achieveing lower Hba1C values.

Hi Tim, I don't use a pump, but yes do sugar surf. I look back at what I now view as the madness of fingerstick testing (say giving 10 snapshots a day) v CGM data and suppose the same principle applies to the pump v 6 or so injections per day. I think I view pumps as immobile, inflexible... limiting in some way.

I probably need to think about this more as i've just read the Bloomberg article you posted on APS and it's awesome stuff. I even work in the field of data, tech, python, GitHub, etc and all that good stuff so really should look at this!

Reactions: tim2000s

JoBodensee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So excited! I had a 8.9 when I was diagnosed in May.

My Libre/xDrip predicted a 5.9 which I was already super pleased with but not sure I should believe. I got results from the clinic today of 5.28!

Woohoo!

Reactions: gemma_T1 and CathP

XxBeaudynexX

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve had type 1 diabetes since I was 10, now 24. Struggled with my bloods my whole teenage life, my HbA1c would never drop below 12% but once I turned 19 and met my now husband I started getting my act together. My HbA1c was 7.2% 3 months ago and 7.6% 3 months prior to that. I’m having another blood test in about a week and my dexcom is estimating that I’ll be around 6.5%.....once I get down to 6% or below we are hopefully going to try for a baby