1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 With A Fear Of Needles

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by TTTE, Sep 3, 2018.

1. TTTE

TTTE Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hello @TTTE This is a terribly sad story however if you read the article she had lost alot of weight and because of the compliments she had received she had decided not to take her insulin despite having a cannula fitted to make insulin dosing easier, so having a fear of needles sounds like a cover for the real reason of her not taking her insulin which was in fact diabulimia.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't feel so bad about my comment on the other thread. She needed psychiatric help. Three DKA in a short space of time must have rung alarm bells.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Sadly I feel a lot of her problems were society’s unhealthy obsession with thinness - combine that with a genuine fear of the injections, and you have the perfect recipe for diabulimia. She had an easy way to lose weight, and a sound excuse for not doing her injections (the fear). One of the articles I read about this tragic story was saying that all her friends and family kept complementing her appearance as she wasted away, and that she was terrified of gaining weight. Just so sad.

5. Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure Type 1 · BANNED

This makes me so angry.

Not at her killing herself out of vanity, but because of her parents and doctors not taking action to prevent her self-harm after the first coma proved she was unable or unwilling to manage her disease. This was a preventable suicide and from what I've read, those closest to her bear some moral if not legal responsibility for what happened.

I also had rapid weight loss and barely survived DKA + coma, and the doctors were furious that my completely oblivious mother didn't bring me in long before I got to looking like a Holocaust survivor. I even went to school that morning (a Jewish high school) and they were mortified and made comments asking what had I been subjected to in order to look like I had just escaped a WWII-era horror flick. They sent me home in a taxi and I collapsed at my door after walking through it, pissing myself in the process apparently. The body vacates itself when it's about to die.

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook