Type 1

Kayb29

Hi!
I have been a T1 diabetic for 11 years now. Recently (October last year) I started getting thrush as a side effect of having high blood sugars around my period. Due to this I started on medication as normal Canesten treatments weren't working.

The thrush is now back, as well as regular UTIs. I am good at correcting insulin etc but due to period timing as mentioned above, its like I am resistant to insulin for a week just wondering if anyone is on the same boat or has experienced this and has advice?I am regularly in contact with GP and having treatment but sometimes feel alone in this.

The situation is really getting me down due to being tired with high bloods, fighting infections and also effecting intimate life. Just wanted to blab to the forum to see if any other females have went through this?

Thanks.

Kels*

Hi @Kayb29 ! You are 100% not alone in this it’s actually a really common symptom of high blood sugar . I have suffered with thrush since I was diagnosed age 15 it comes and goes constantly ! I didn’t know you can get other treatment than over counter medication and creams? I mention this to my Gp quite a lot and they don’t really say much! But I know how you feel especially with intimacy etc it is embarrassing and unfortunately even when it’s just a human thing we will always worry and feel the way we do. But hope that gives you some reassurance at least that you aren’t the only one and it is just a bit of a shame it comes with the diabetes. ( if there is any advice you have please let me know ) as I have just learnt to live with it if I am honest .

Kayb29

Hi @Kayb29 ! You are 100% not alone in this it’s actually a really common symptom of high blood sugar . I have suffered with thrush since I was diagnosed age 15 it comes and goes constantly ! I didn’t know you can get other treatment than over counter medication and creams? I mention this to my Gp quite a lot and they don’t really say much! But I know how you feel especially with intimacy etc it is embarrassing and unfortunately even when it’s just a human thing we will always worry and feel the way we do. But hope that gives you some reassurance at least that you aren’t the only one and it is just a bit of a shame it comes with the diabetes. ( if there is any advice you have please let me know ) as I have just learnt to live with it if I am honest .

Thanks for your reply! Makes me feel a bit better knowing I'm not alone in this, just a bit of a pain in the back side more than anything lol. I am on Fluconazole for it, really helps so worth mentioning to your GP? I took it continuously but GP said to see how I go without it, week 5 and thrush came back so it definitely works! Just a matter of getting it into my system again I think

Reactions: Kels*

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yup. Had the same at same age and found it pretty embarrassing and annoying. Other than keeping blood sugars on an even keel it is important to minimise antibiotics. I know UTIs are horrible and your doctor will want to prevent any possible kidney infection.
The trouble is the antibiotics do lead to a thrush friendly environment so you can get in a bit of a vicious circle.
I find if I get really tired, drink too much caffeine or eat badly I can get that UTI niggle. I then hit it with grapefruit seed droplets in warm water (nasty but effective IMO) and the cystitis powders if things get bad.
Anyway I do get UTIs much less and haven't had thrush for ages now so don't give up!

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Kayb29, and welcome to the forums.

Yes, used to get it a lot when younger but haven't for a few years now (maybe menopause is good for something?).

Have you spoken to your diabetic clinic rather than your GP, as they might be able to help with the diabetic control around periods.

You absolutely aren't alone.