Type 1s: GP confusion re type 1 type 2--anyone else get this?

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
3 years ago I needed to have a private medical. I obviously told the GP who gave me the medical that I was type 1 YET he spent considerable time lecturing me about the fact that I had metabolic syndrome. When I chipped in that I had an auto immune disorder this was ignored. I needed the certificate so ceased to argue and let him wallow in his ignorance.

After a particularly bad hypo I saw my gp for the 1st time in years. She told me I was having too much insulin and then asked me what I was injecting (1st time I have been asked this in years), I told her & as it was 3/ 3/ 5/ 11 she then retracted her former statement. Then it was what I had eaten that day--I told her & because I had had a sliver (30g cho) of cake and had weighed & measured the amount eaten to ensure I had had 30 g cho--she told me that that had caused the hypo. I asled her why. She told me that because it was sweet it caused my body to produce more insulin.

Dilemma--do I remind gp I am type 1 & that if I had eaten too much fast acting cho it would put bm up, where it would remain for hours (not cause me to produce more insulin---I am type 1 & have not produced any insulin for 55 years now--if I were able to prouce insulin I would be cured!!-- when I started to explain this she cut in & told me that I must be a brittle diabetic then !!!!!

IT IS NOT THE PUBLIC THAT NEED EDUCATING (after all, does it really matter?) BUT DOCTORS in my opinion--what they write about us, in often an uninformed way, can have a detrimental effect on our lives eg driving!!!

Oh and when I told consultant I would like to use a CGM he told me that they were only for DIAGNOSTIC PURPOSES--how stupid does he think I am?

Has anyone else who has had juvenile diabets for many years (I have had it since 8 years--55 years--no complications--must be doing something right) experienced similar with medical bods? Would love to read about them.......

martin_1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being ill .and idiots
my dear friend i was diagnosed with borderline diabetes then told they have the wrong person then 6 years apx told i have t2 then a while later possibly t1 as i went straight on to insulin then got called back a year later and told i have brittle diabetes now my new dr says i just need a good diet and thats without knowing what i eat which is fairly good and maybe a takeaway once a year and i honestly dont know which way is up these days oh i nearly forgot the first time i saw a consultant in my very first purpose built diabetes clinic told me theirs no such thing as brittle its just bad management of food and carb intake . i do not understand all the medical details and the numbers but my cholesterol is good by all accounts and always has been i eat good food ,i dont drink gave up in 2007 and quit smoking last year but the one thing i do know is i want private mental healthcare and all these drs to pay for it because if somone doesnt make their bloody mind up i am going to go madly insane .your not on your own..

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, do say something! You'll be doing the GP's future Type 1 patients a favour!

I often get assumed to be Type 2 because I'm an adult. Only children have Type 1, you see *rolls eyes* Once I had to tell the surgery diabetes nurse twice that I was a Type 1 and had been for 22 years. She then asked me if I was on insulin!

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
my dear friend i was diagnosed with borderline diabetes then told they have the wrong person then 6 years apx told i have t2 then a while later possibly t1 as i went straight on to insulin then got called back a year later and told i have brittle diabetes now my new dr says i just need a good diet and thats without knowing what i eat which is fairly good and maybe a takeaway once a year and i honestly dont know which way is up these days oh i nearly forgot the first time i saw a consultant in my very first purpose built diabetes clinic told me theirs no such thing as brittle its just bad management of food and carb intake . i do not understand all the medical details and the numbers but my cholesterol is good by all accounts and always has been i eat good food ,i dont drink gave up in 2007 and quit smoking last year but the one thing i do know is i want private mental healthcare and all these drs to pay for it because if somone doesnt make their bloody mind up i am going to go madly insane .your not on your own..
A real mess--I really do feel that consultants, GP s & DSN s are the ones that need educating. It is easier for us, we know what affects us and how we feel and why. We can also reseatch specific points but to have to put up with silly remarks from those who should know better is ridiculous. Have also found the sillier the remarks are the more medics are trying to cover their own backs......

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, do say something! You'll be doing the GP's future Type 1 patients a favour!

I often get assumed to be Type 2 because I'm an adult. Only children have Type 1, you see *rolls eyes* Once I had to tell the surgery diabetes nurse twice that I was a Type 1 and had been for 22 years. She then asked me if I was on insulin!
Oh dear.................