1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1's: how old were you when diagnosed?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Dannii, Aug 26, 2008.

1. TROUBR

TROUBR Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was (and still am) 38 when diagnosed.

I have been told that at my hospitals clinic they have had someone diagnosed in their 70's. My age was one of the reasons (apparently) that my doctors missed it (that and the fact that I am far from slim unlike most t1's) any excuse other than they mucked up!!

Louise

2. clivedon

clivedon · Newbie

i was 60..symptoms appeared very quickly and dramatically over a period of a few days.

3. willogs

willogs · Well-Known Member

I was 27 and 28, I was diagnosed in pregnancy and then again 6 months after giving birth. Was ok while I was breastfeeding and did not need any insulin.

4. sugarybibs

sugarybibs Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Danni, I was 17 am now 55 in great health look younger then all my younger mates (doctors said it must be my good diet) went really thin before i was diagnosed.That is why i go mad when diabetes is advertised because ignorant people think you get it because you eat too much sugar or were really fat.I hardly ate any sweets anyway years ago and only ate good food my ma used to cook us.I thought that my diabetes would go away being so young getting it and never being told much in the 1970s.

5. nathansdiary

nathansdiary · Well-Known Member

I was 13 at the time. I really wish I had access to more information at the time as I really didn't understand it.

6. bobbykins1810

bobbykins1810 · Newbie

Hi,

I was, and still am 36. February 7th this year i was diagnosed and remember it well.

Rob

7. diabetesmum

diabetesmum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My daughters were 8yrs and 2yrs respectively - no family history on either side!

8. dietfizzy

dietfizzy · Active Member

i'm type 1 and i was 38 when diagnosed april 08
    xx

9. hails

hails · Well-Known Member

I was 23... caught it early! :D :lol:

10. crafteclaire

crafteclaire · Well-Known Member

I was 2 years old when diagnosed. The GP my parents called to the house diagnosed me with measles - we're still waiting for the spots!!! Good job mum saw past the old 'doctor knows best' way of thinking and took me to A&E, eh? :p

11. Chi'ch

Chi'ch · Member

I had just turned 6.

12. greenmonkey

greenmonkey · Member

13. lala

lala · Newbie

29 on mar08 wife was in having are 3rd baby and i was not well at all the doc that was looking after my wife had we look at me and bloods were 42.2 :shock: was in hospital for week

14. crafteclaire

crafteclaire · Well-Known Member

Lala,

BM of 42!!!! How were you still standing?? I can hardly get myself out of bed if I'm over 30 :?

Claire

15. bigredruss

bigredruss · Member

i was diagnosed on march 25th this year aged 38. it felt like my world had fallen apart when i got discharged from hospital and actually wished that i had died, which i was very close to :cry: . now i feel totally different now :p

16. lilibet

lilibet · Well-Known Member

34 - 5 days ago.

Still in a variable state - mainly still negative - despair, frustration . The biggie is fear.
    Am reading lots, had couple of follow up appts post hospital and SO desperate to be further down the line when I am knowledgeable, stable and can commence some semblance of normal life.
    Glad to read bigredruss post - gives me some hope

This site is great though I was hoping I would be stable, manage my diet and that would be that. Am quite disheartened to see how tenous the grasp is on keeping things level - illness, excercise, wrong food etc etc. Also lots of peope diagnosed long term still struggling.

Thoughts of stability were keeping me going. Think we should start a new thread on success stories

:|

L

17. DiabeticSkater

DiabeticSkater · Well-Known Member

I was diagnoised in 1979 aged 2 and a half years.

18. joe159

joe159 · Active Member

Friday aged 49, when told I had diebetis and I was producing nothing from my pancreas I said is that all. (thought I had cancer)
    Ive raised my family have a grandaughter and fell Im lucky' I live in the Uk where I got the best of emergency treatment, when I see how young kids get this and worse then what have I got to complain about.
    Joe
    So type 1 insulin rest of my life' Im more worried about the constipation I have.

19. MDolla

MDolla · Member

My son was diagnosed 10 years ago at aged 3. :(

20. chocoholic

chocoholic · Well-Known Member

50. (After wrongly being diagnosed Type 2 five years earlier :roll: ).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook