Type 1's: how old were you when diagnosed?

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was (and still am) 38 when diagnosed.

I have been told that at my hospitals clinic they have had someone diagnosed in their 70's. My age was one of the reasons (apparently) that my doctors missed it (that and the fact that I am far from slim unlike most t1's) any excuse other than they mucked up!!

Louise

clivedon

Dislikes
incorrect use of apostrophes
i was 60..symptoms appeared very quickly and dramatically over a period of a few days.

willogs

I was 27 and 28, I was diagnosed in pregnancy and then again 6 months after giving birth. Was ok while I was breastfeeding and did not need any insulin.

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Dannii said:
Hi
just wondering how old everyone with type 1 diabetes were when they got diagnosed and what is the kinda cut-off point age wise of having type 1 diabetes?

Dannii
Hi Danni, I was 17 am now 55 in great health look younger then all my younger mates (doctors said it must be my good diet) went really thin before i was diagnosed.That is why i go mad when diabetes is advertised because ignorant people think you get it because you eat too much sugar or were really fat.I hardly ate any sweets anyway years ago and only ate good food my ma used to cook us.I thought that my diabetes would go away being so young getting it and never being told much in the 1970s.

nathansdiary

Dislikes
Non diabetics who think they know better and people who keep asking me "are you allowed to eat that?"
I was 13 at the time. I really wish I had access to more information at the time as I really didn't understand it.

crafteclaire

Dislikes
cheats and liers
I was 2 years old when diagnosed. The GP my parents called to the house diagnosed me with measles - we're still waiting for the spots!!! Good job mum saw past the old 'doctor knows best' way of thinking and took me to A&E, eh? :p

lala

29 on mar08 wife was in having are 3rd baby and i was not well at all the doc that was looking after my wife had we look at me and bloods were 42.2 :shock: was in hospital for week

crafteclaire

Dislikes
cheats and liers
Lala,

BM of 42!!!! How were you still standing?? I can hardly get myself out of bed if I'm over 30 :?

Claire

bigredruss

i was diagnosed on march 25th this year aged 38. it felt like my world had fallen apart when i got discharged from hospital and actually wished that i had died, which i was very close to :cry: . now i feel totally different now :p

lilibet

34 - 5 days ago.

Still in a variable state - mainly still negative - despair, frustration . The biggie is fear.
Am reading lots, had couple of follow up appts post hospital and SO desperate to be further down the line when I am knowledgeable, stable and can commence some semblance of normal life.
Glad to read bigredruss post - gives me some hope

This site is great though I was hoping I would be stable, manage my diet and that would be that. Am quite disheartened to see how tenous the grasp is on keeping things level - illness, excercise, wrong food etc etc. Also lots of peope diagnosed long term still struggling.

Thoughts of stability were keeping me going. Think we should start a new thread on success stories

:|

L

joe159

Friday aged 49, when told I had diebetis and I was producing nothing from my pancreas I said is that all. (thought I had cancer)
Ive raised my family have a grandaughter and fell Im lucky' I live in the Uk where I got the best of emergency treatment, when I see how young kids get this and worse then what have I got to complain about.
Joe
So type 1 insulin rest of my life' Im more worried about the constipation I have.