Type 1s with bad control are more prone to fractures..

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fell off my bike on black ice this morning so was not cheered to see this one in my in box!
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/908377?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=295486MT&impID=1871688&faf=1#vp_2

Was interesting to see that type 2s are not more prone to fractures which implies that insulin deficiency plays a role in this. It is hypothesised that insulin plays a role in bone formation as it is an anabolic hormone so if you had type 1 before age 30 ( I think this is the age we are still building bone density) and had HBA1c of 8%+ you be at greater risk...

No fractures here but possibly a bruise! At least we are not in a US style 'Polar vortex' today!!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Ouchy! Go steady, lass.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Based on trying to do a yoga boat pose just now, I would conclude that my tailbone is definitely tender. Maybe I will walk home...

Reactions: Knikki

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I had a bone mineral density scan done in 2016 as a routine check. Above normal for age.
I reckon I shall keep walking and carrying the shopping home.
Also wear 1/2 kg arm and leg weights when walking.
Maybe I shall apply for a space mission to a higher gravity planet .....

Reactions: Dodo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Fell off my bike on black ice this morning so was not cheered to see this one in my in box!
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/908377?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=295486MT&impID=1871688&faf=1#vp_2

Was interesting to see that type 2s are not more prone to fractures which implies that insulin deficiency plays a role in this. It is hypothesised that insulin plays a role in bone formation as it is an anabolic hormone so if you had type 1 before age 30 ( I think this is the age we are still building bone density) and had HBA1c of 8%+ you be at greater risk...

No fractures here but possibly a bruise! At least we are not in a US style 'Polar vortex' today!!

You will probably feel it more tomorrow,but glad you are okay though. I was diagnosed at 31, about 5 years ago I fell from a height, decorating, fell badly and smashed down on my left arm, wrist was shattered and it was manipulated in hospital, but complications set in, CRPS. I had never broken a bone before, I have coeliac and then 3 months later diagnosed with osteoporosis.
Photo's of my arm looked liked something from a John Carpenter film, It looked strange and felt strange, I called it' The Thing' and it was the most painful experience I have ever had in my life :inpain:
Take care :)

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had a bone mineral density scan done in 2016 as a routine check. Above normal for age.
I reckon I shall keep walking and carrying the shopping home.
Also wear 1/2 kg arm and leg weights when walking.
Maybe I shall apply for a space mission to a higher gravity planet .....

I walk a lot and I am active too, so good weight baring exercises. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 3 months after being diagnosed with coeliac. I had my 2nd bone density scan last October.
You never know what the future may hold, to infinity and beyond :D

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It was looking distinctly slippy out last night. I'm quite cautious around ice on a bike these days since breaking my hip 9 years ago and missing the best winter in ages. Studded tyres work quite well...

Reactions: NicoleC1971

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch........BIG HUG........I'm not sure about T2's not being prone to fractures though.......I fell in my garden in late 2016 and broke my right hip, which according to my Dexa scan is my good hip, I was told I had osteopenia and osteoporosis of the hips, spine ok though so some good news.........was advised not to do it again......der like I did it on purpose........:banghead:........though my Hba1c has been steady at 38 for a few years now .

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think that Charcot Foot has a preference to which type of person with diabetes it affects. The following extract shows that the fracture risk is the same in T1s as 2s, regardless of bone mineral density:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/9/2123
Diabetes may be associated with osteopenia, but the available evidence suggests that reduction of Bone Mineral Density is a feature of type 1 diabetes more so than type 2 diabetes (12). Any reduction of BMD in type 1 diabetes may relate to loss of islet peptides such as insulin and amylin (IAPP), both of which act as growth factors for bone. Despite this, the fracture risk in type 2 diabetes may be no less than in type 1 diabetes (12), and this would explain the fact that the presentation does not appear to differ between the two types of the disease. Any associated deficiency of vitamin D—with or without renal failure and secondary hyperparathyroidism—would increase the possibility of reduced BMD in diabetes.

Anyone not knowing what Charcot Foot is, can find an over view here:
https://www.foothealthfacts.org/conditions/charcot-foot

Last edited:
Reactions: kitedoc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I walk a lot and I am active too, so good weight baring exercises. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 3 months after being diagnosed with coeliac. I had my 2nd bone density scan last October.
You never know what the future may hold, to infinity and beyond :D

Robinredbreast, osteoporosis is significantly more likely (than the general population) in those with Coeliac. I'm assuming that's because of the malarbsorption issues associated with the coeliac.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Robinredbreast, osteoporosis is significantly more likely (than the general population) in those with Coeliac. I'm assuming that's because of the malarbsorption issues associated with the coeliac.

It could be and more so in women too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
20180529_083624_resized.jpg These 3 after about 3 weeks
20180529_082511_resized.jpg 20180529_083608-1_resized.jpg
20180529_082524_resized.jpg after 6 weeks ( The Thing)

Attachments

• 20180529_082524_resized.jpg
    20180529_082524_resized.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 270

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was looking distinctly slippy out last night. I'm quite cautious around ice on a bike these days since breaking my hip 9 years ago and missing the best winter in ages. Studded tyres work quite well...
I have mountain bike tyres and my main strategy today will be to avoid tarmac. Alternatively I may just take a train. Can't drive anymore due to diabetic eye damage. Hope you stay safe with unbroken hips. It is a lovely crisp day down here in Surrey at least!