Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My office for the day. I was in charge of the ramp at the back :D (and some general helping people with medical issues, obvs).

AE8839E9-09BD-4F59-8F8E-D21445DB738F.jpeg

Bloods behaved remarkably well considering it got QUITE EXCITING at one point. Air ambulance hovering overhead while we helped an octogenarian who had fallen off some scaffolding, but we had it in hand so stood them down. I’m getting officially trained to take blood sugars soon, bet I’m the worst in the class. Note to self, don’t lick patient’s finger afterwards...

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On Monday I called the clinic’s answering machine (they never answer the phone) to ask why it is 18 months since my last appointment. Apparently a new IT system meant I had dropped off their list.
They then asked if my GP did not see me - I said I have never seen GP for diabetes care, just prescriptions which we fight about and nurse for foot check.
Finally got DSN appt with a new nurse in May.
And some of you are greeted by name!
We have the same problems with hubby’s asthma clinic - every time we ring for an appointment the asthma nurse has left and they will let us know when the new one arrives so he can make an appointment for the clinic - this has happened twice in the last 2 years

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all from the very wet and windy north-again! New kitchen flooring today and guy due early.
@MeldCP still laughing at the licking finger bit.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all - I'm here, most unusually for a weekday morning, sitting still and keeping calm prior to a 24-hour blood pressure machine fitting at 10.00 a.m.! Be interesting to see how much chaos has ensued in my temporary absence. Main Colleague is still off, and I don't think we've ever had both of us absent before as neither of us are prone to sickness, but I'm sure it'll be fine just for a couple of hours.... maybe.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all, hope today goes as well as can be expected. Hope your bp behaves well Japes and the tv’s suitably entertaining karen.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, hope today goes as well as can be expected. Hope your bp behaves well Japes and the tv’s suitably entertaining karen.

Thank you. We're suspicious I suffer from a touch of white coat syndrome as one number is always good, one number always just over the line, and both go sky high when I'm in the hospital clinic, rather than in the GP surgery.

I'm just looking forward to the day's entertainment with me bleeping at regular intervals! Well, they did say just have a normal day... and today is likely to be as normal as any day in my workplace.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, had to cancel my day’s teaching RE IN A Catholic school (yes, really) as I’ve totally lost my voice and I want it to recover for my proper teaching Biology day tomorrow. So a nice lie in, old lady sewing club and lesson prep for the rest of the day :)

I might even catch up properly here...

Have a good one, guys.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you. We're suspicious I suffer from a touch of white coat syndrome as one number is always good, one number always just over the line, and both go sky high when I'm in the hospital clinic, rather than in the GP surgery.

I'm just looking forward to the day's entertainment with me bleeping at regular intervals! Well, they did say just have a normal day... and today is likely to be as normal as any day in my workplace.

I always appreciate docs and nurses who’ll do three tests as my bp always slides downwards as I relax. I think ‘best of three’ is the rule in many places.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always appreciate docs and nurses who’ll do three tests as my bp always slides downwards as I relax. I think ‘best of three’ is the rule in many places.

@Fairygodmother GP does best of 3 and he's the one who's requested it, so I'm willing to comply as he's sensible. Hospital won't do best of 3(I asked!).

@helensaramay Fortunately, Main Colleague suggested we do a catch up on written work today as much as we can, so I'll be sitting down with files and students for the day, until they all lose it and creep back to the workshops one by one with those of my colleagues who would rather be there. It's how we work best! The written work gets done, eventually, with me and I'm always intrigued by the most classroom phobic of students who don't mind me correcting their work and helping them get it right, but won't let anyone else do it.

But, I will, weather permitting, do my usual walking.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning oh holy ones
@Mel dCP I am crying here thinking of you testing someones blood and licking there finger :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
My bloods have been pretty good again. Was it the Fiasp insulin which had been out of the fridge for a week OR the chest infection finishing me off (again)
@helensaramay I had one of those BP monitors on for 24 hours! WOW what a PITA that was. And, same as you was told my BP was "OK" so I asked for the results and same as you they had deleted them because they were "OK".....much to my dismay and there subsequent ear bashing for not keeping my records in proper order :D

Reactions: hh1

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Ok Guys, this is CRITICAL!
I had a hypo situation at work today. So I reached into my "special stash" of Hypo goodies and pulled out my bag of Jelly Babies.
Shoved one into my salivating mouth and .....nearly broke a filling on my tooth!
:***:
"Rock Hard" doesn't even come close to describing what they were like!

I finally managed to gobble down 4 of them (like a good little Diabetic) and recorded my intake in xDrip+ (which doesn't have a special Jelly Baby shortcut... i must suggest that as an improvement).

So, my question to you all is...
"What do you use to store your emergency Jelly Babies in to keep them fresh?"

Got to go to the Sweety Shop on the way home tonight, cos there is no way I want to eat the rest of them.
Chris

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Capt-Slog sorry to hear of your hypo hope you are back in land of living now.

At work i am lucky i have my own desk and drawers. This has a bottle of full sugar cola, small container containing sugar, biscuits and a some sweets.

On rare occasions i have a low sugar, i normally just make a cuppa with couple of sugars and a biscuit or 2

As to your jelly babies question ( I prefer jelly beans) what about a small metal tin, or a small plastic food container

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also suffer badly from White Coat Syndrome and my BP goes through the roof when they do first check. I normally ask them to do a 2nd test which is usually much better although still high

I also had a 24hr BP monitor which was a bit bulky but TBH it did not bother me, I am fairly inactive anyway. BP was almost perfect over the 24 hours mainly sitting around 120/80. In clinic it is normally around 140/90

Reactions: porl69

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I have just been to "The Range" and bought a small plastic container but I am not sure how much longer it will extend their life expectancy. Has anyone done any deep research into the expected life span of a JB?

The girls in the Finance Office say that once the packet is open the life expectancy of a Jelly Baby is about 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the bag!

I don't think that they are taking this seriously!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have just been to "The Range" and bought a small plastic container but I am not sure how much longer it will extend their life expectancy. Has anyone done any deep research into the expected life span of a JB?

The girls in the Finance Office say that once the packet is open the life expectancy of a Jelly Baby is about 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the bag!

I don't think that they are taking this seriously!

I use the sealable bags that the pharmacy dispenses meds in, and any smaller ones that come my way too, to store jelly babies. I have a hinge top container by the bed but they go hard more quickly there as I unhinge the top (and my brain?) before going to sleep then close it in the morning.
My glucotabs are kept in the container tubes I bought them in and I refill from larger tubs of tabs.