Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Minion.jpg

Reactions: karen8967

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm surprised at the seller, and hope it all gets sorted out.

I have filled in the online form with the British Heart Foundation for them to come and collect all the spare furniture from my ex-office (now craft room again). I asked for a Wednesday morning, preferably during June and they will phone me next week.

That makes me feel better because all the furniture is in very good nick, and I very much didn't want it just wasted. I filled in a form for a different organisation a couple of weeks ago but never heard a peep from them. They were a small local concern that I wanted to support. However, I'd rather support a nationwide charity than none at all.

Once that furniture has gone, I can deal with the re-arranging on the sitting room (to include taking some stuff up to the craft room) so that by the time the new suite arrives it should all look a lot more open and spacious down here. Or so goes the theory .....
Ooo I love rearranging and reorganising stuff and rooms, :eek:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made a delicious meal - everything smothered in soy sauce on a bed of Thai fragrant rice and a glass of iced coffee. Placed it on my favourite unicorn bowl and I'm not hungry, so I'm just sniffing my food. :hilarious: Anyone else not hungry after cooking?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, folks, thought I'd flutter a few thoughts past you all on the joys of falafel, hummus; basically chickpea derived stuff, and I'd be interested in views on this.

I hadn't eaten them for a long time, but my experience over the last week is suggesting that they might be stunningly good at stabilising bg for extended periods.

Or was it the spinach, or walnuts, or mozzarella or my sock colour, I don't know?

M&S were doing a 3 for £7 deal on Mediterranean deli items, so I ended up with some falafel, hummus and other stuff.

Plated them up for a few evening meals over a couple of days with some fresh spinach and salad leaves, mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, gherkins, capers, chicken empanadas, chopped red onion, and so on.

The hummus went on ryvita Thin crackers, so with the falafel, the crackers, empanadas and fruit dessert, (melon, figs), we're looking at 80g, with a 20 to 30 min pre-bolus.

Lunchtime meals were a mix of 60g baked potato, 65g spring vegetable soup and blt roll, and 50g brown rice, pulses and prawns.

Anyway, the upshot is that, although there was a fair bit of fast carbs in that which would normally lead to some post-prandial bumps, adding in chickpea stuff like falafel and hummus - it's the only major difference compared to my usual routine over the period - gave me insanely stable bgs for four days, 97% in a 4 to 8 range, with a minor blip to 3.9 spoiling it.

Chickpeas have a really low gi and just seem to digest differently to other pulses. I reckon the slow digestion rate just seems to match my insulin time pattern, and mitigates the fast carb absorption. And not only for that meal, but for an extended period.

Has anyone else found this with falafels or am I talking guff?

Here's the pics:

20190528_191121.jpg

Screenshot_2019-06-01-16-44-56.png

Reactions: porl69 and WuTwo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last day of hollybobs in France.. 28c in saint Arnoult today.. The dog was thankful for his Frio style dog attire.. & I was thankful for the wallet..

A couple of nip ups with BGs in the heat with IS.
Though decent AC in the van kept it reasonable (& legal.) whilst driving..

All in all. A tad bit hotter than antisipated. :grumpy:

Reactions: hh1 and SueJB

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Scott-C . Can’t comment on your findings as I’ve never ventured down the chick pea derived food stuff route.
BUT on viewing your picture and now feeling insanely peckish to say the least. I may well give it a go in the near future.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Scott-C . Can’t comment on your findings as I’ve never ventured down the chick pea derived food stuff route.
BUT on viewing your picture and now feeling insanely peckish to say the least. I may well give it a go in the near future.

Cut the falafel in half, smear some ketchup on it, and it'll seem just like a part of a full English brekkie fry-up!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cut the falafel in half, smear some ketchup on it, and it'll seem just like a part of a full English brekkie fry-up!
Sorry mate , not quite buying into that one yet.:)
But it does look surprisingly tasty and would go down well on a warm summers evening.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good evening all. Well had an interesting evening...did a set change and put 1 of my last longer mio's in....went out to make a cuppa and the pesky door handle decided to pull my 5 minute old canulla out. Grrrr. Another set put in....shorter one this time

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning! Warm night, another dull, cloud filled sky. Not happy! Nice straight line all night til 3 then a rocket to 10.5. Injected an hour ago with Fiasp still only 9. Not happy-hungry!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning all and wishing you a Happy Sunday.
Went to bed on a 10.00 so I took 1 unit of NovoRapid and awoke on a 7.5 :), as it's Sunday, hallelujah :happy: Also I had cheese, crackers, dip, raw veg, fruit and a yogurt last night,no hot meal, as I felt lazy and didn't fancy a dinner.

Going out about 12.30 ish, depending on the weather, sunny or cloudy,so we will either go down by the river/canal, or to the local kite festival, which is on from 10 am to 5 pm. If I go @kitedoc I will try to upload some pics :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I like chickpeas, falafels, hummus and all that stuff. Amazing what you can do with chickpeas. I use chickpea flour, ordinary flour and either water or plant milk to make batter for tempura - works brilliantly! The batter works well in quiche too. Chickpea pasta is very slow for me compared to ordinary durum wheat pasta.

The liquid in a tin of chickpeas is called aquafaba, and in cooking it can take the place of egg-whites to produce really good meringues (if you like them). It's often included in vegan baking, and is very useful!

Reactions: porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Today is a don't do much day - old dog's arthritis is hurty, very, so we will take it very gently with him today and have given him his painkillers. Husband will take young dog out for a run, and Dizzy will stay home with mum. I think he overdid things yesterday because the weather was nice and he could play out, and is suffering for it today.

I just want to bake muffins, and potter. Also I need a chat with daughter in law who is a particularly good baker - she makes a scrummy salty caramel fudgy type cake and I want to beg her for the recipe. Also her bannoffee pie is a bit yummy ......

Reactions: porl69 and hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Talking of old dogs, mine was 9 in December, is remarkably obedient, always comes back to the whistle. Until yesterday evening. I don't know if she's going deaf or was just being never-seen-before ornery, but walking in the fields at about 5.30 she would not come back. Until she did, and collapsed because she was exhausted. Sides heaving, tongue to the ground; luckily after she lay down for a few minutes she recovered enough so that I could nurse her along to the nearby river and cool her down. And then I had a hypo. The joys of dog walking.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Dizzy is rising 12 and has brought us enormous joy all his life. Even when he has been ill and we have been incredibly worried he has still been an extra helping of love in our lives. He has slowed down tremendously now but still has his moments!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I like chickpeas, falafels, hummus and all that stuff. Amazing what you can do with chickpeas. I use chickpea flour, ordinary flour and either water or plant milk to make batter for tempura - works brilliantly! The batter works well in quiche too. Chickpea pasta is very slow for me compared to ordinary durum wheat pasta.

The liquid in a tin of chickpeas is called aquafaba, and in cooking it can take the place of egg-whites to produce really good meringues (if you like them). It's often included in vegan baking, and is very useful!

I do like chickpea, spinach and sweet potato curry :hungry:

Reactions: WuTwo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Talking of old dogs, mine was 9 in December, is remarkably obedient, always comes back to the whistle. Until yesterday evening. I don't know if she's going deaf or was just being never-seen-before ornery, but walking in the fields at about 5.30 she would not come back. Until she did, and collapsed because she was exhausted. Sides heaving, tongue to the ground; luckily after she lay down for a few minutes she recovered enough so that I could nurse her along to the nearby river and cool her down. And then I had a hypo. The joys of dog walking.

My dog, Holly( we brought her home on December 1st, hence the name and we used to call her Holly Wally lol) lived until she 14, my son wanted to watch over her in his bedroom. In the evening he shouted out to me, 'mum, mum it's Holly' and he ran down stairs with her in his arms and then she was gone, it's bringing a lump to my throat:(. She is buried in my back garden, with other beloved pets <3

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Thinking of sweet potato - bake one, cut in half lengthways. Scoop out the flesh and mix with a tablespoonful of full or half fat creme fraiche (or plain yoghurt). Pile back into the hollowed out skins, and flash under the grill. Obviously if you have a humungous sweet potato you might need more creme fraiche. The idea is to have it not too sloppy, but definitely soft, so that it holds shape and can be piled into the skins.

Scrummy!

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning everyone
Madam is still being goodish. 5.8 first thing although did dip last night at 10 to a mild hypo
Another lovely sunny day so it's a walk by the river, pub and home for lunch of salade Lyonnaise. Need to buy a shredder