1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Found it for 25 euro's in a thrift store, works perfectly, except for the missing, erm, thing.
    I expect them to be bakelite, as what else could they be?

I'm definitely missing something in your language as I fail to find anything funny in the word knob, but I've got the feeling you can't explain it to me without me having to moderate the answer...
    In Dutch you'd call it 'knop', where you can hear the k and which isn't funny in any way, not even for 13 year olds. I only use 3 burners, as handling the sticking out part with a wrench is impractical, especially should anything go wrong in the kitchen and you need to turn off the gas quick. I call the sticking out part a 'piefje', which is a pretty meaningless word usually used to describe something small and pointy for which you don't know the word, like with car parts.

Bought everything for a big omelet/fritata/casserole and then I found those for 1 euro... So now I'm hoping for a little hypo tonight which needs adressing :)

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Blood red :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

On a drive back from Rome in July a few years ago in a car with no air conditioning, the jelly babies all turned into a big lump.

(I think we did it in < 24 hours to Boulogne without touching a French peage. The Grand St Bernard pass was the best bit.)

• Like Like x 2
  4. LooperCat

I hope this anecdote will pass the mod test... delete if not, but it’ll explain things perfectly!

When I was at school, doing Biology A-level, we were covering the male reproductive system. Me being me, I asked my teacher what the plural of penis was. Penises? Peni? Penodes? He just chuckled and said “Mel, if you’re ever fortunate enough to encounter more than one at a time, I suggest you just call them nobs” :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks! Not what I guessed either :) Not sure about this one from a mod perspective, but as it clearly is part of the school curriculum in the UK I guess it's ok :angelic:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. LooperCat

When I was teaching the other week, I had to teach 13 year old boys about the female reproductive system. So I started the lesson by just getting them to shout out any words they knew for “vagina” just to get it out of their system, and wrote them on the board. Once we’d done that, I rubbed all the non scientific words off, and left the proper names for all of it up there and said “these are the words we use in here”. I learnt a few new ones :D

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I just love this thread!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  8. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I love vegan Magnums - just like their dairy ones but better, 'cos I can eat them! They do dark chocolate or almond milk chocolate covered. Both scrummy!

• Like Like x 3
  9. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They are indeed scrummy and I got my insulin for it on point :D I agree they taste exactly the same as their dairy ones.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WuTwo

We have got some Ben & Jerry's that I can eat but somehow I always fall for the idea of a Magnum.

We were talking about proper Orange Maid ice lollies today and I really want one. We are going shopping tomorrow morning (early while it's cool) so I might take the freezer bag thingy so we can get ice lollies. I know I should make them with juice but I haven't any moulds to do them in. I used to have when my son was small, but not these days.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The solara ones are my fave, fruit juice outside, ice cream centre. Not sure if they’re vegan tho.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Delticmatt100

Delticmatt100 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I hardly had anything bad for lunch. Tested my blood just now and got that reading. Mind u been out in the heat a bit. Does it raise it up? IMG-20190725-WA0009.jpeg

13. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Walked round the supermarket on the way home from mud pies: car said it was 37 in the car park, even under a tree, and all the blinds were down over the cold section displays. Lovely and cool after the hot drive. Car said 36 as I pulled in when I got home. Thank you contigo for keeping iced coffee cold .

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. LooperCat

It can do - I’ve had to increase my insulin by about 20% this week.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Don’t like ice cream in any shape or form...runs and hides!

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. WuTwo

There's an entire cabinet full of vegan ice creams and lollies in my Sainsburys - I shall spend a little while looking through. Also, son and very nearly vegan d-i-l are coming for dinner on Sunday so I'd better get extras. And think of something to cook that we'll all like!

I might do another quiche for the three weirdoes, and get some meat for my son. Also want nice size spuds for jackets, and better get some more salady stuff. The kids have appetites like young horses!

• Like Like x 1
  17. WuTwo

Yep - I'm firefighting but don't want to change my ratios - this weather won't last....... will it???

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
  18. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I love that - 'hardly' had anything bad :hilarious: Depends how 'hardly' it was really. I've had to reduce basal and bolus in the hot weather and still fire-fighting hypos, but YDMV

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. LooperCat

I love my fan.

That is all.

5C622736-3E08-4BA1-BB2C-847F195F6B52.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Peaked at 28 degrees here, apparently. Not as bad as some places where 38 has been recorded, but hot enough for me. Blood sugar this afternoon better than yesterday, don't know whether that's related to the weather or not. or just me changing my behaviour.

Nice civilised 23 degrees peak tomorrow. I haven't eaten ice cream in years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook