Type 2 +adding Conditions And No Weightloss

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I supplement with T3 that I have to buy abroad. The GP in the practice was on board with me doing this and told me 'well done on helping yourself'

Reactions: zand

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks I´ll have a look on your link, but my problem is I really do not have a thyroid gland or well it is totally killed so I will never be able to repair or speed its function... I totally depend on thyroid hormons taken orally

Trust me, Freema - Just as we are here, with diabetes, there are people with thyroid issues of every sort over there.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I supplement with T3 that I have to buy abroad. The GP in the practice was on board with me doing this and told me 'well done on helping yourself'
what country do you buy it from ?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing I have learn from being diabetic. is that our bodies filter out and remove excess glucose (especially in the early hours of the morning) We also exhale and perspire ketones. Both of these are energy sources that our food gets converted into and is used to supply our daily needs. We also excrete excess fat in the form of bile, and we have mechanisms in place to control the digestion of carbs and fats as a basic control mechanism. Metformin uses one of these principles as does XLS fat reducer pills. Dietary fibre also mops up some of the excess and packges it neatly into stools for expulsion. So the energy in / energy out equation does not often hold true due to interactions and variations in all these processes.

We also have mechanisms for storing energy in various parts of the body for later use, and in non diabetic people this process is automatic and does not lead to obesity. There are two types of fat store in the body - muscle and skin (mitochondrial storage) and in special fat cells (adipose tissue) but the contents of each is different, so when we say we use a diet to lose weight by calorie restriction, it is usually only the glucogen stores (glucose+ water) in the mitochondria that gets removed, The adipose tissue fat is much, much harder to remove. It requires severe restriction to remove this fat such as prolonged fasting or the Newcastle 800 cal diet regime to start on that. So most weight loss diets are just removing the small glucose stores by eliminating mainly water, and this is easy to put back on when the diet stops, or, as explained by others, the metabolism slows down to compensate. We all know that love handles and beer gut are the last things to go and these are the adipose tissue stores.

As this thread asks, yes there are many conditions other than diabetes that can affect weight gain/loss, and is why there is no one size fits all remedy. And many of us suffer more than just diabetes. Some have thyroid problems, others have heart or kidney conditions, and others may have IBS or other gastric problem to deal with. What we are learning on this forum is more about how carbohydrates operate in our personal ecosystem, and blood glucose measuring gives us insight into ways of measuring the effectiveness of a diet other than pure weight loss or before and after photos. We can see hour by hour day by day what effect our dietary choices are having on us, and for the first time on my life, this gives empowerment back to the people that matter, We now have choice!

Last edited:

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Freema I don't think I would be allowed to post the link. If I knew how to send you a PM that would be one way of letting you know.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing I have learn from being diabetic. is that our bodies filter out and remove excess glucose (especially in the early hours of the morning) We also exhale and perspire ketones. Both of these are energy sources that our food gets converted into and is used to supply our daily needs. We also excrete excess fat in the form of bile, and we have mechanisms in place to control the digestion of carbs and fats as a basic control mechanism. Metformin uses one of these principles as does XLS fat reducer pills. Dietary fibre also mops up some of the excess and packges it neatly into stools for expulsion. So the energy in / energy out equation does not often hold true due to interactions and variations in all these processes.

We also have mechanisms for storing energy in various parts of the body for later use, and in non diabetic people this process is automatic and does not lead to obesity. There are two types of fat store in the body - muscle and skin (mitochondrial storage) and in special fat cells (adipose tissue) but the contents of each is different, so when we say we use a diet to lose weight by calorie restriction, it is usually only the glucogen stores (glucose+ water) in the mitochondria that gets removed, The adipose tissue fat is much, much harder to remove. It requires severe restriction to remove this fat such as prolonged fasting or the Newcastle 800 cal diet regime to start on that. So most weight loss diets are just removing the small glucose stores by eliminating mainly water, and this is easy to put back on when the diet stops, or, as explained by others, the metabolism slows down to compensate. We all know that love handles and beer gut are the last things to go and these are the adipose tissue stores.

As this thread asks, yes there are many conditions other than diabetes that can affect weight gain/loss, and is why there is no one size fits all remedy. And many of us suffer more than just diabetes. Some have thyroid problems, others have heart or kidney conditions, and others may have IBS or other gastric problem to deal with. What we are learning on this forum is more about how carbohydrates operate in our personal ecosystem, and blood glucose measuring gives us insight into ways of measuring the effectiveness of a diet other than pure weight loss or before and after photos. We can see hour by hour day by day what effect our dietary choices are having on us, and for the first time on my life, this gives empowerment back to the people that matter, We now have choice!

hey well yes, I have learned more in this last year than in all the rest of my life of how complex and varied our different bodies and metabolisms are ... even when having the same diagnosis....

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
t:(hanks dear , for your advice, my thyroid gland has been totally killed by radioactive iodine, so no matter what I do I cant speed that one, my THS is too suppressed my GP says but at the same time my T3 is too low, and as many of you know our GP´s are like GODs they can demand and reject giving us medicine, and especially in Denmark all GP´s are told to have their eyes fixed only on the TSH,,:(

I have looked for less narrow-minded GP´s but the few that have argued against this solo minded way of interpreting metabolic blood samples have been restricted by health authorities and even had their right to prescribe levothyroxine and other alike metabolic hormones so that they can not prescribe them at all at the moment , it is by special allowance possible to get a solo T3 hormone (Liothyronine ) as a small supplement besides the levothyroxine but almost all GP´s won´t prescribe it and in my very conservative town it seems there are none that will prescribe it...

if I keep gaining I am going to keep bringing that possibillity up to my GP so that maybe finally she will give in and let me have a try... :( the level she wants me on I am afraid will let me take on around a pound a week
Oh no.

I will look up a Facebook thyroid help team tomorrow or if busy Thursday to give you their details. They may be able to give you more advice.
Pigs dry thyroxine I believe is still around. Not sure if still has to be prescribed thou.

What does your endocrinologist suggest?