"Type 2 affects 7,000 under 25's in England & Wales"

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46290849

I've just seen this article on BBC News website, published this morning and I'm so frustrated that, although the message seems to be to lose weight and exercise more, there is little to explain the best way to beat Type 2 Diabetes.

"Change lifestyle"
"Healthy Eating"
"It's a life-long condition ..."

"Chapter 2 of ... Childhood Obesity Plan" - This seems to be all about sugar reduction and calories; no mention of carbohydrates! Cereals are still promoted for breakfast, although with less sugar, for instance!

Why can't they spell it out and say "Avoid/Limit Carbohydrates and sugars"??? Oh, of course ... The Food Industry wouldn't be happy, would they!!! NICE wouldn't like it either!!! It would go against all the Medical staff were taught too, I suppose!!!

Apologies for being so cynical but it makes me so cross!!! :(

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the government efforts are very much about being seen to do something about the bomb whilst not really doing anything that is seen by the electorate as too 'nanny state' or that rocks the food industry boat too much.
Some of the press have usefully picked up on the point that if you are fat whilst pregnant it will also increase circulating insulin in your baby and hence increase it's chance of being fat regardless of your environment. Hence the 2nd generation of bigger babies since the onset of diaobesity in the 1980s.
Come April 1st, l et the cereal waggons stack and let the bacon ones roll by!

BloodThirsty

I think the government efforts are very much about being seen to do something about the bomb whilst not really doing anything that is seen by the electorate as too 'nanny state' or that rocks the food industry boat too much.
Some of the press have usefully picked up on the point that if you are fat whilst pregnant it will also increase circulating insulin in your baby and hence increase it's chance of being fat regardless of your environment. Hence the 2nd generation of bigger babies since the onset of diaobesity in the 1980s.
Come April 1st, l et the cereal waggons stack and let the bacon ones roll by!
Fifteen or so years ago the UK Government made it mandatory for cigarette manufacturers to publish health warnings on their tobacco products. Evidence that smoking caused serious health issues had become overwhelming and this strategy negated any attempt to sue the Government for deriving tax revenues from a dangerously unhealthy substance.

I wonder how long will it be before the penny drops and similar warnings start appearing on cereal boxes?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fifteen or so years ago the UK Government made it mandatory for cigarette manufacturers to publish health warnings on their tobacco products. Evidence that smoking caused serious health issues had become overwhelming and this strategy negated any attempt to sue the Government for deriving tax revenues from a dangerously unhealthy substance.

I wonder how long will it be before the penny drops and similar warnings start appearing on cereal boxes?
I think Smokers more than pay for their 'sin' (cost of treating lung cancer versus tax on ciggies).
More lives have been saved by the alleged 'nanny state' (who actually has a nanny that isn't a goat or a female grandparent anyway?) deciding to take action versus giving education:
e..g turning off infected water supplies in cholera outbreaks, mass vaccination, taxing and then banning smoking from public interiors and seat belt legislation.
But whilst we cannot agree on what makes us fat and ill (is it too many calories or too many carbs?), I don't thnk a penny will drop anytime soon especially when the effects of the Cereal Killers are not acute but chronic over the decades.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . . we cannot agree on what makes us fat and ill (is it too many calories or too many carbs?),

Especially as there is more to weight gain or loss than the amount of food we eat.

Research in twins, real live human twins, has led to the realisation that gut bacteria diversity plays an important role in our metabolism, the chemical processes that occur within us in order to maintain life.

Insulin resistance is also a factor and again there's some interesting research that has led to some surprising results. By destroying the mucous membrane in the small intestine and causing a new one to develop, scientists stabilised the blood sugar levels of people with type 2 diabetes for up to a year, without medication. Source: https://www.theguardian.com/society...-treatment-could-end-daily-insulin-injections

So, while the media keep banging on about how poor diet and bad diet choices is causing an obesity epidemic which in turn is leading to greatly increased numbers of type II diabetes, epidemic might be the operative word. it's just that it's bacteria behind it all.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
All we can do is vote with our purses/wallets and spread the word. Politicians, have you noticed, keep unpopular legislation for the beginning of a term in office in the hope that by the time the next election comes up we the people will have forgotten their 'meddling in our lives'. They should have the courage of their convictions and stick to their promises (and yes, I'm looking at Tom Watson, here).

Ooops! I forgot, these are carreer big wigs I was thinking of, as you were folks.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Won't be voting for Tom in spite of his low carb transformation. Don't like his boss much.