Type 2 and Alcohol

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondering about experiences while drinking. My story is quite strange (I think). After first been diagnosed i was told while going out not to drink alcopops once i'd had my fill of lager, so instead started drinking vodka/diet coke and lets just say i got in some states and far worse than i should be for how much i'd drank, so ended up drinking alco -pops again (only a couple at the end of the night). I have never tested but always looked after myself, am not overweight and my results at the GP's have always been very good. My point is i feel far better (night and day after) drinking alco-pops instead of vodka/diet coke.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest you test. It may put you off, and the lager won't be helping either. Beer is known as liquid bread. Vodka won't raise your blood sugar levels if drunk with sugar free mixers.

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suggest you test. It may put you off, and the lager won't be helping either. Beer is known as liquid bread. Vodka won't raise your blood sugar levels if drunk with sugar free mixers.
I may be slightly ignorant but doesn't alcohol lower sugars initially, which is what i put the drunkeness down to and the fact i drink alco-pops and feel not drunk and better all round

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe beers raise levels initially as there are a lot of carbs involved. It can then lower them too quickly, causing possible hypos in insulin dependent diabetics. I suggest you test your alcopops and lager at frequent intervals after drinking one, say every 15 minutes, and see what they do to your levels.. Alcopops have a high sugar content.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
for me red wine (cabernet sauvignon) reduces my BS almost instantly about 2mmol (but I'm a weirdo :¬) from say 6 mmol to 4 mmol )
Holstein pills gradually pushes my BS up to about 11 before my body reacts and brings it down to about 8mmol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
For me it's got to be Auchentoshan triple distilled Malt Whisky occasionally that is.

Reactions: 3 people