Type 2 And Cirrhosis Of The Liver

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I have been type 2 for about 6 years well controlled on metformin until I was put on steroids about 3 years ago. This caused my bs to go sky high and I was started on insulin. The steroids and insulin caused weight gain and even after I was weaned off steroids my bs remained high.
I started to low carb in January this year and lost two and a half stone. I went for my yearly blood tests which although showed I was in the non diabetic range also showed anaemia. To cut a long story short this set off lots of blood tests, gastroscopy and colonoscopy and a referral to a haematologist who requested a liver scan. The scan showed an enlarged spleen with varices and cirrhosis of the liver.
Since all this I have struggled to lose weight although my legs are getting thinner due to muscle loss but the enlarged spleen and liver means that my tummy is still big. I am still trying to low carb as much as I can but the cirrhosis makes it difficult for the liver to convert protein into energy which is why many cirrhosis patients are mal nourished. They recommend several small meals a day and a high carb snack before bed. This is obviously counter intuative to the low carb diet.
I am going to ask for a referral to a dietician when I next see the consultant...but god knows when that will be.
Any advice welcome. Deb