Type 2 and Confused

RBT84

Hi

I'm Rob 32, from the Midlands.

I have been diabetic for a number of years and to be perfectly honest I've pretty much ignored it and buried my head in the sand.
My mother passed away last December from a hart attack related to diabetic problems etc. I have spent far to much time ignoring my problem and I need advice moving forward. I have been reading the benefits of both the LCHF way of eating and switching to a plant based diet as Dr. Neal Barnard recommends as they both seem to work how do you chose witch to follow? I have started exercising regularly so that one good thing.

Thanks for reading

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat and dairy will not put up your blood sugars, so I see no reason to avoid them, unless, of course you wish to go veggie for other reasons. They will also provide you with many essential nutrients.
Carbs will always put up your blood sugars, so for a T2 diabetic there is every reason to avoid them as much as possible and they are not an essential part of the human diet.
No contest really.
Sally

Reactions: RBT84

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I honestly am a bit worried about shifting to a diet of 80% or 70% fat...

but I do have the lchf diet in my radar.... if what I do now doesnt Work...

I am loosing my overweight right now, eating only 1000 calories pro day ...
and at the moment the calories is about fairly shared in 3 parts one for proteins, one for carbs and one for fats...

that Means I eat aroung 80-120 grams of carbs a day 80-120 grams of proteins a day and around 45-55 grams of fats a day as the fats are about dubble the calories pro gram as compared to both carbs and proteins.

today I got my cholesterol numbers , and luckily them have turned out to be normalized from my resent eatings, even though my doc. said it would be impossible.

most of my carbs are from vegetables green salats tomato sauces beens and a few roots though never potatoes.
I altså eat about 40-60 grams of fullgrain blackbread a day... and a few low glycemic fruits or berries like green unmatures pears and blueberries and one kiwi at a time , but never more than 3 peices of fruit a day and never in the same mel..

I also do fast from 19 o´clock untill 12 o´clock the next day, to get my insuline levels down and to also have plenty of time where my blood glucose isn´t up.

this works fine for me, the first 3 days the hårdest with a bit of headace, but since that very satisfying to Loose 1 kg pro week, and also a surprisingy high level of energy.. though a few days of very tired hours ...where I let myself sleep as much as I wanted....

besides all this I drink about 2,5 to 3 liters of Water pro day... 0,5-1 liter of them with 1 spoonfull of apple cider vinegar (the mother) , very often before meals or before bedtime also to get my blood glucose down... I do think the reason apple cider vinegar Works is that it prevents some of the carb from disolving in our guts... and thereby leading to lower blood glucose... and maybe also protecting the tissue in our guts from getting inflamated and becomming in a bad state...
I eat "Skyr" an icelandic low fat high protein youghurt and skimmed milk in very Little amount , only for my coffee
I eat very little amounts of meat only 300 grams pro week, as all statistics tells that vegans and vegetarians do have only half or less the chance of getting diabetes in a lifetime... thefore I do think it is a good thing to not eat meat more than only a few times a week.. I do eat fish also one or two times a week, mostly salmon or tuna

I do eat some nuts every day (30-40 gram) too mostly paranuts which I actually buy in GB very cheap

Last edited:

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @RBT84
I will tag @daisy1 who will post some helpful information for newcomers. I know you are not new to diabetes but it might be helpful.
Well done on the exercise and also looking at taking things in hand. I found a meter and testing a really helpful way of working out what my body could cope with and what was better avoided. There are many different diets, ways of eating that people seem to have success with. There is no one size fits all.
For me it was restricting my carbs and carefully also restricting calories to lose weight which helped. Using a meter I found my body could not cope with any breakfast cereal so that had to be cut out. I also reduced portion sizes of certain foods, by testing again and again. Having lost the weight I needed to lose I can now eat some carbs that I had to cut out completely earlier. I only used walking as exercise.

Reactions: RBT84

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF is for winners! Proofs in the pudding!

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I'm Rob 32, from the Midlands.

I have been diabetic for a number of years and to be perfectly honest I've pretty much ignored it and buried my head in the sand.
My mother passed away last December from a hart attack related to diabetic problems etc. I have spent far to much time ignoring my problem and I need advice moving forward. I have been reading the benefits of both the LCHF way of eating and switching to a plant based diet as Dr. Neal Barnard recommends as they both seem to work how do you chose witch to follow? I have started exercising regularly so that one good thing.

Thanks for reading
The benefits from a low carb diet on blood glucose are usually apparent very quickly (my blood glucose levels, aside from the dawn phenomenon) normalized within 3 days of diagnosis. People have reported success with plant-based diets - but I doubt the changes are as immediate because you would still likely be eating relatively large quantities of carbohydrates, which directly (and immediately) influence blood glucose. I think the idea is that the plant-based diet changes the underlying metabolism - which is a much slower process).

At any rate, I didn't want to continue damaging my body with elevated glucose when it was within my power to immediately decrease my blood glucose. That's why I went the low carb route. My results are in my sig line (at nearly 1 year post-diagnosis). Cholesterol was normal (at 6-months - my 1 year test is coming up), as is my A1C.

I consider my diabetes controlled, although I'm trying for remission. (Controlled because it is only normal as long as I strictly limit my carbohydrates.)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@RBT84

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful in addition to the other replies to your post. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

RBT84

Thanks for all the advice and information, LCHF seems to be the way to go, I just find it hard to wrap my head around bacon & egss for breakfast being good for you however like @Daks said the proof is in the pudding. I will book in to see my doctor and ask to get some blood test done etc and book an appointment with the diabetic clinic.