Type 2 Type 2 and pregnant

christina2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m just reaching out for some advice ….. I’m desperate I feel so alone in this …… I visited diabetic doctor Friday in ante natal now I have only ever used diet control for diabetes and I’m a little lapse about it , I suffer with high anxiety and dealing with things I find quite over whelming and emotional. So when I visited the hospital and was told I need to take insulin 4 times a day , I need to take metformin , I have to finger prick 4 times a day another medication for anxiety has to change I’m blown away and finding it too much , they showed me how to inject which I’m so fearful of and sent me on my Merry way to crack on and just deal with it all , I haven’t started all of this and wondering if should or if I can the thought of injecting is making me feel sick. I spoke to a lady last might on a pregnancy app called peanut and she suggested doing keto diet as she said her sister changed her diet and didn’t need the medication and was in similar situation to myself ….. my question is can I do this just alone to avoid medication ? Or do I have to start this medication ? I’m just all over the place my head feels like it’s going to explode and I’m desperate for help and advice …… Thankyou to anyone in advance for your time . :)

Lakeslover

We can’t really advise you on the right thing to do, we don’t know your test results or why they have decided you should take insulin. But why not phone your maternity team (who I assume will have a diabetic midwife) and ask for a discussion with her about whether you could trial a change in diet first. If you are under a psychiatric midwife as well a chat with them might also help.

Reactions: EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You do need to clarify your situation with those who prescribed the medication.
Keto seems rather formulaic with amounts of carbs dictated.
During pregnancy I ate a wide variety of low carb foods just as I felt I wanted them. It was long before diagnosis, but I have never been able to cope with 'normal' amounts of carbs.
I had medics shrieking at me about underweight babies, fortunately after the birth.
When they paused for breath I told them the birth weight was over 9lb which rather took the wind from their sails....
What you need is more advice about keeping your levels normal, proper explanations - so it is clear what your situation is and how best to manage it.
Please don't embark on a restricted low carb diet - it has never been appropriate for someone in your situation.
I was already a decade into eating low carb when I became pregnant.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's best to speak to your team. How do you manage your diabetes normally? What was your most recent hba1c? If you are newly pregnant and have a high hba1c they will be wanting to lower your blood levels quite quickly which is why they have suggested insulin but it doesn't mean you have to be on it the whole time, dietary changes can help and having a walk after meals. I was low carb before getting pregnant, I'm 38 weeks now and whist blood sugars have been stable throughout I have had a lot more carbs than I would have normally. I would have found it difficult to go keto.