Type 2 and Statins

kandy5

Diagnosed 5 weeks ago with type 2 and today had results of cholesterol test- 6.5.
I have been prescribed Simvastatin by my nurse, but concerned about all the side effects. Can anyone give me any info :?

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi there

There is lots of debate on the forum about the pros and cons of statins - so if you put in a search, you'll be able to read some of the posts.

Just speaking purely personally, I have managed to reduce my cholesterol without statins by eating foods such as avocado, nuts, linseed etc and taking a Benecol drink every morning. I also found out that caffeine can raise cholesterol and I was a big coffee drinker..... So I now just have de caff coffee.

I was given a period of grace in which to lower the cholesterol by diet - and I managed to do it. But we are all different. However you could ask your nurse/ doctor if having a go at the diet approach would be a good idea for you.

I'm sure that a few Simvastin users (or ex users!) may be along soon, to give their opinion. I know there are lots of pros and cons.

Whatever happens - good luck and keep using the forum, especially in the first months of diagnosis it is exceptionally helpful and supportive.

cathyN

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
hi am type 2 and been on simvastatin for 10 days now apart from upset tummy which could have also being caused by gliclazide as i started both same day but apart from that all ok sugars are well now in normal range & my cholestrol was 8.1 & nurse wants it to be 4.i had tablets 3 months before being put on it fineally as tried my best & despite losing 4st 4lb the cholestrol was not coming down neither was the diabetes. but all within range now good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
kandy5 said:
Diagnosed 5 weeks ago with type 2 and today had results of cholesterol test- 6.5.
I have been prescribed Simvastatin by my nurse, but concerned about all the side effects. Can anyone give me any info :?

If you suffer from side-effects on the Simvastatin inform your gp, there are alternatives statins so don't suffer in silence if you get some unwanted side-effects.

Both my Mother and Brother were on Simvastatin and both tolerated them well, brother's Total Cholesterol went from 9 to under 4 which he was pleased about.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had trouble with statins. About four different ones were tried and I had everything from leg muscles tightening up so I couldn't walk, gastro enteritis and rigid shoulders and neck. I ended up in physio with the last one. My file now says "intolerant of statins".

I asked for other peoples experiences on this forum since I didn't believe I was the only one or even 1 in 10,000 etc. and I got some interesting comments.

Some people have no trouble with them at all. Some people refuse to take them. Some people take them and have side effects as I did. The two strangest groups of all were the people that collected them from the dispensary and threw them in the dustbin and those that did similar and kept it a secret even from their spouse. These last two appear as if to be taking them without complications. What price 1 in 10,000 now.

All you can do is take them, read the paper that comes in the box so that you are alerted early to any side effects and contact your nurse at the first signs of trouble. My nurse was quite happy to try them all until none suited me.

L

Luna21

I was diagnosed statins as soon as I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, although I too was given 3 months of just diet and exercise to see if that alone would bring my diabetes under control....which it has. :)

I take Simvastatin 40mg daily, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. My cholesterol has gone from 5.9 to 3.4. My doctor wanted my cholesterol low as I have other health problems which make me more susceptible to heart problems.

Everyone is different though, so you have to either try them and see how you go, or make the decision not to use them at all; but that decision is ultimately yours.

I'm quite happy to be on them , although many seem to think they are the drug from hell. :***:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, I read a lot of bad things about them, so stopped taking them although I had no side effects, I'm hoping that eating better and losing weight will do the trick with my chol, if not ill have to rethink in July when I'm being tested again, the doc thinks I'm taking them so I suppose I'm in the weird group lol

Geocacher

For some of us statins are the drugs from hell, whilst others seem to tolerate them well. Current estimates are that 20% of people who try statins suffer from serious side effects.

The side effects from statins are so debilitating for me that I'd rather take the chance of a heart attack. And that is a very real risk for me, in my family the T2s don't tend to make it past 60 years of age.

Below is a link to an article from the Mayo Clinic website about the benefits and risks of statins, I think it's very well written and less biased than the advice the NHS tends to offer.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/statin ... ts/MY00205

mpe

Squire Fulwood said:
I had trouble with statins. About four different ones were tried and I had everything from leg muscles tightening up so I couldn't walk, gastro enteritis and rigid shoulders and neck. I ended up in physio with the last one. My file now says "intolerant of statins".

Possibly you are actually intolerant of hypocholesterolemia.

Hypocholesterolemia appears to have been somewhat ignored. Which is worrying given that Diabetes UK now has guidelines of less than 4.0mmol/l total. when The American Heart Association, in 1994, came up with a definition of less than 4.1 mmol/l total.

It probably isn't the total which matters here. But levels of VLDL, IDL or LDL since these lipoproteins deliver cholesterol to cells.

IIRC neurons don't metabolise fatty acids, thus may be especially sensitive to low LDL levels. Neuropathy related to hypocholesterolemia does not appear to be confined to the peripheral nervous system. Including "mental" illnesses such as depression and anxiety.

oggymitch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i have only recently been diagnosed type 2, caused by high level courses of steroids following a lung transplant, I was on Simvastatin for about 2 years but changed to Atorvastatin 2 months ago, at the moment I am on a daily cocktail of 18 different medications so don't really know if i'm coming or going.

kathiehayhoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was also put on Simvastatin and endured nearly two years of cluster headaches and migraines. I had a MRI scan of my head and have taken many tablets to try and eradicate the headaches.

I had to stop the Statins to try and sort out what was problems with IBS and low and behold the headaches stopped. They came back when the statins were restarted.

I have tried other statins but I am now officially statin intolerant.

renee

I was given Simvastin 40 some years ago' Was always in pain or feeling lousy. the doc said cut the tablet in half and just take half . Still no good And I stopped taking it altogether. Starting early this week I thought I'd try half again. Already I hate my food Also feel sick and pain when walking. I'm 86 yrs old so have decided to leave them to the dustbin. As my doc still puts them in my tray. So from now on I'm hoping to feel better soon. :sick:

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
I was put on Simvastatin and Gliclazide when I was diagnosed T2 in Nov 2011, even though my cholesterol was only 3.9. Five months ago, my low carb (therefore higher fat) regime meant I could come off Gliclazide, so -as I was having some shoulder problems - I requested to come off the statins (I don't believe in wasting taxpayers' money by chucking them out). After 3 months, my HbA1c was fine (31) but cholesterol had gone over 5 and the LDL:HDL ratio was worse, so I'm back on Simvastatin now. Never had side effects (the shoulder problem was due to over- exercise). I await next HbA1c and cholesterol check in a month's time with great interest.

mpe

Sketcher said:
I was put on Simvastatin and Gliclazide when I was diagnosed T2 in Nov 2011, even though my cholesterol was only 3.9.

Which isn't hypercholesterolemia by anyone's definition, maybe even be hypocholesterolemia.

Five months ago, my low carb (therefore higher fat) regime meant I could come off Gliclazide, so -as I was having some shoulder problems - I requested to come off the statins (I don't believe in wasting taxpayers' money by chucking them out). After 3 months, my HbA1c was fine (31) but cholesterol had gone over 5 and the LDL:HDL ratio was worse, so I'm back on Simvastatin now. Never had side effects (the shoulder problem was due to over- exercise). I await next HbA1c and cholesterol check in a month's time with great interest.

What effect did taking the satin have when you were initially taking it?
Are you also getting liver function checks?

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
STOP SIMVASTIN AS SOON AS YOU CAN: I'm a very new T2 and still learning but, I had to respond to your post on SIMVASTIN. My wife has had 3 heart attacks ( myocardial infarctions) and was put on lots of meds very quickly which included SIMVASTIN. She developed severe joint pains that were 24 hours a day and pain killers had no effect, she just couldn't switch off the pain.

I took her to the GP and she was diagnosed with osteo arthritis, this was a crushing blow. By chance and some two years later, a client of mine told me a story of the same problem he'd had only his best friend was a cardiac surgeon. His friend saw him limping and suggested he wanted to examine him. First thing the surgeon did was look at the meds he was on and spotted SIMVASTIN and said there was no need for the exam, there was the problem. He gave him a lecture on VASTINS as there are many and some had been banned in the USA by the FDA. Within days of stopping the drug (for another STATIN based drug) his pain went. I took my wife back to the GP and after an argument he agreed to change the STATIN to another and, within a week, the severe pain of over 2 years faded, I was so angry.

Please key word search on YouTube, you will find non commercial videos by cardiac surgeons who won't use statins for cholesterol control especially the group called VASTINS. Research shows many surgeons in the USA using Niacin at high doses to reduce cholesterol and blood pressure for patients with CVD (cardio vascular disease) - I have been using niacin to control my BP and the home machine shows a clear and obvious result. Whether diabetes or CVD both groups are wide open for heart attacks or strokes.

Please spend some time researching on YouTube on VASTINS and statins, there are some damming video clips given by passionate doctors and consultants on this subject. But for sure SIMVASTIN is well known for some horrible side effects, please don't suffer. Q007

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had bad experiences with simvastatin, increasing doses over a period of 7 years while at the same time cholesterol continuously climbing. Had pretty much all the aforementioned side effects, most significant being continuous muscle problems. Late last year ona 40mg daily dose my cholesterol went over 8. Doctor wanted me to go to 80mg simvastatin and warned me that this level of statin was going to cause me further problems. We talked it through and decided to try a different statin so I changed to atorvastatin 40mg instead. All side effects disappeared within a couple of weeks and at my next test in march my cholesterol was down to 4.1

I am highly suspicious that my T2 is entirely down to simvastatin. I had no problems with bg before I went on it, my diet was extremely good, i was not overweight and I was getting lots of exercise. The side effects involving muscle and joint issues made exercise increasingly difficult and my weight kept going up until i was at a BMI of 28. Eventually I was diagnosed early this year as T2.

Coming off simvastatin has made a huge difference. I can exercise again, although it has to be low impact due to the arthritis so I tend to do a lot of rowing, cycling and walking. i also do a lot of resistance training with free weights. My T2 is pretty much under control, but I still spike very badly if I get any kind of infection or eat too much carb so it's definitely not reversed.

I would not say come off statins, given my family history of cardiac issues and strokes it was probably a good idea for me to go on them, but I do think that if you have any of the side effects you should ask to try a different statin, especially if it does not appear to be helpin your cholesterol levels.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Yes I partly agree, one of the consultants on YouTube says that if you have existing CVD or have family history and therefore a prime target, the statins are a good choice. My point is that from the experience I went through and from what I've researched statins are needed for the above statement but not the VASTINS variety. The VASTINS happen to be the cheapest to prescribe if you see where I'm going with this. Profit before patients is the code of conduct for many GP's so please beware.

All the data is on YouTube that you can see for yourself, please don't suffer.

kandy5

Thank you all for your replies.. after some careful thought I have not started them. Have been to DN to tell her, would rather try to lower cholesterol by diet etc. I do not go back to drs until end of August- I thought there would be more support for me, but no. I am not on meds for diabetes, only diet, which I have had no help whatsoever... shall let you know in time if my way works. I have enough getting my head around being type 2 without all the worries/concerns about taking statins.

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
been on 25mg Simvastatin for 11 years now after a T.I.A. never gave me any problems cholestrol is 3.9

beercan

I was put on simvaststin but had problems with leg muscle cramps, upset stomach etc. After a few weeks changed to prinvastatin and did not get any side effects at all. You may not have any bad effects with simva. but if you do, try a different one.