Type 2 B.G. peak?

lindisfel

Expert
Hi all,
I am a type 2 diagnosed last October and with diet I have managed to get my HBA1c down to 46 (last two readings) from 50. However, from my post prandial BG which has been withing limits (unless I occasional bend the rules) I would have thought it should be lower.
I started to investigate lunch time today when I had my usual lunch (150grams bread and half a large apple and 25 grams sultanas and almond nuts)
At +1hr from start of my meal my BG was 14.0 and at +1.5hrs it was 13.6; +2..12.1; +2.5..8.3; +3.0..6.1; +4 hrs...3.8

Post prandial (two hours after completing meal) is usually under 7.0mms (c.+2.5 hours on starting meal)

Looking at the graphs it seems to indicate my pancreas has a very slow response to BG!

Please, does anyone know what's going on and why my bg peaks so early, much earlier than the BG graphs indicate?
Thank you

regards
Derek

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not a T2 but I'll try and answer to keep your post up on top as it's slipping down.

Non diabetics actually have a peak glucose level at much less than 1 hour, It's on the way down after that. You might like to look at this graph which shows normal glucose response. By 2 hours they are well on their way back to normal

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php (the blue line was the average for the group; 130mg/dl is the same as 7.2mmol/l)

.Though your peak might be a bit later, it might still be earlier than 2 hours. (indeed lots of people on forums report it to be at before the hour)
As you know the target for non insulin users in the UK is less than 8.5mmol/l at 2 hours. If you normally eat this for lunch and are normally back at 7.5mmol/l then most days, it seems your second phase response is coping quite well . ( I've no idea why this days example was different)

I don't low carb and use insulin but to be honest I would find difficulty, even using insulin to cope with eating 150g of bread in one meal. It would have a very high glycemic load* so would tend to make glucose rise a lot and quickly.
Have a look at this calculator, I've set it for a relatively low GI bread though TBH there are very few really low GI breads. With a portion size of 30G I it has a reasonable glycemic load but at 150g it's very high.
http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/glyc ... s=g&id=154
Personally, I would eat a much smaller portion of bread but also eat some protein/fat .

*http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/glycemic-load.html

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Phoenix,
Thank you for your reply.

I have lost over two stone as a result of cutting carbs and my BMI is now less than 24....I guess I have had a big appetite since I am 1.96..still a tall but scraggy old man! :)

I think the key to cracking this is as you say, cutting down on the carbs further and increasing the protein/low GI intake.

I shall try cutting the porridge and bread I eat down to half the present amount.
Porridge spiked me up to 11.1 today one hour after starting breakfast.
I had 150 grams bread today with cheese for lunch and I was 10.8..I had no fruit until mid after noon.

I've already cut my potato intake right down but I reckon I may have to cut down further...my wife is giving me 4oz atm.
Last night for dinner I had : chicken breast; microwaved 0.5 red onion; grated raw carrot; broccoli; peppers, 4 oz new pots. and for afters I had a fresh apricot and c.30 almond nuts. Since I had a lot of low GI with the potatoes it kept my +1hr from meal start down to 8.7.

Finding these early spikes after eating has made my HBa1c results since diagnosis much more explicable.

Problems is; the medics think my BG is under control because my HBa1c is 46!
However, I reckon I must still be having damaging spikes c.+1hr after meals, but the later control brings down the average glucose.

best regards
Derek