Type 2 can be reversed

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 last September. Have lost three and a half stone. Done everything they told me. My last test I was 40 (not sure what that is) but was taken off the Metformin. Having my next test on 25 July, will be the first without medication so hope I have stayed the same. Got all new clothes. Air Ambulance have had my large ones. Nice to have a waist again.

Hope others manage to do the same. This site is very encouraging. I bought the book about how to reverse type 2. Very useful and interesting. I gave it to my doctor to read as well.
Brilliant. Good luck

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Way to go, keep up the good work. It is definately achievable to keep your Hb results down into non diabetic levels but it takes.work and they will start to slowly climb if you fall back into old.habits.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Good luck keeping the blood sugars down. Very pleased for you. On the other hand, and I don't say this just to be a negative spanner in the works...I don't accept this term "reversed" in relation to Type 2 diabetes and I think it can wind up being a poor choice of words to describe a current and undoubtedly well-earned situation - I'm sure other will disagree but I see no so far that Type 2 can be "reversed" if by that what is implied is some kind of permanent development allowing for "Oh good - I'm cured and can now do what I want" mentality. That way lies disappointment. For your average Type 2 (if not indeed for anyone with Type 2) to ensure that blood sugars drop and then stay low (or normalish) calls for self-maintenance and continued awareness of diet and lifestyle. That said, I think you've done very well and I hope it stays that way. I also wish there was a "cure" but so far that is not the case.

davecatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, I'm just starting on my journey, so it's great to read about so many successful people who have achieved.

melliemars

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When you've gotten down to the right weight for you and you're all level and doing great, can you have the odd meal or treat, like once a month or once every few weeks but still do LCHF most of the time?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you've gotten down to the right weight for you and you're all level and doing great, can you have the odd meal or treat, like once a month or once every few weeks but still do LCHF most of the time?

Yes of course you can. There will always be birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, Christmas and other occasions. Life wouldn't be worth living without a few treats. The secret is to have your treats then get straight back on the wagon and don't be tempted to increase the treat days!

melliemars

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes of course you can. There will always be birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, Christmas and other occasions. Life wouldn't be worth living without a few treats. The secret is to have your treats then get straight back on the wagon and don't be tempted to increase the treat days!

Oh what a relief to hear that. I am someone who gets a bit over controlling and obsessional about stuff. Food was the only thing I would delve into with abandon and it got me diabetes and 20 stones to lose. I've already lost 10lbs but have completely changed. T2D doesn't feel so desolate if I can have a cheat meal every 6 weeks or something.

Reactions: 2 people

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congratz on the numbers .Reversed not so sure but it can certainly be supressed by a good diet and regular excersise if you drop that then unfortunatly the numbers will rise again that is the nature of the beast

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
congrats on achieving good BGL numbers :)

I managed to get good control of my BGL's too for about 7 years until controlling by diet and exercise alone no longer worked. I needed oral meds, they then stopped working and I was placed on insulin due to having insulin deficiency.

So what I'm saying here is that yes you may think you've reversed it for now... but in fact it is controlled. If you eat different from what you're doing you soon realise your sugars levels change. You can keep good control and try your best at it and sometimes it stops working. It did for me. But my endo explained to me that it's not uncommon for T2 to progress as I felt defeated at the time when I could no longer get the normal range from my diet and exercise. I hope you can manage longer than I did without any additional help. We're all different. But the main thing is to remember is to firstly notice, and if things aren't working look to change it. Also needing help to manage your BGL's at all in future isn't failing... it's just the disease. You can only try your best and keep at it. I wish you the best. :)