Type 2 Diabetes and Dental implants

ShugaShuga

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ShugaShuga . When I had to have most if my lower teeth removed, my dentist sent me to the hospital for the extraction (I had other complications as well as diabetes). Before the extractions my dentist explained to me that because of my diabetes, the healing process could be longer than usual and that although she outlined my options she made it very clear that we couldn't make a final decision until I was completely healed. She suggested that I had NHS dentures for the first year to allow complete healing of the gums and to ensure that no further problems developed before I spent shed loads of money on my 'final' teeth. I would consider her a good dentist! As it happens it took three months before I healed properly due to infection, and I didn't get on with the NHS dentures as they were too hard in my Diabetic gums. Ended up with the private dentures after six months and they are fantastic!!
I suppose I'm saying I agree with @CatLadyNZ , sounds like you might need a second opinion. Good luck hun, I know exactly what your going through. Sue xxxxx
Hi.
Again, I'm intrigued about how you managed to eat until your lower jaw had healed?

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
I'm intrigued about how someone in your position (all teeth removed) managed to eat. How did you do this, until your extractions had healed sufficiently?
With great difficulty is the answer. Plastic dentures pressing onto unhealed gums are painful.
I was on liquid painkillers and antibiotics for a while.

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi.
Again, I'm intrigued about how you managed to eat until your lower jaw had healed?
mashed food for about a week, lots of pain killers! Then moved on to cooked veg/soft food for another week then it was fine. Just avoided really hard stuff that could scrape the gums (nuts, crusty bread, crackers etc)!!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Oh dear, the Ibuprofen issue is worse than I thought. I went to my GP and asked him. He said that the problem arises if you are diabetic and taking ACE Inhibitors to control blood pressure. In which case case, you shouldn't take Ibuprofen for more than a week otherwise this combination can cause kidney damage!
I am taking Perindopril (an ACE Inhibitor - 'don't know what that actually means) and have been mixing ibuprofen and paracetamol for about three months. I haven't used ibuprofen continuously, nor have I exceed the max dose, but.....
ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme - I think how an ACE inhibitor works is that the AC enzyme makes the blood vessels tighter and the drug blocks that so the vessels relax. This type of drug is the first line choice for reducing BP. There are lots of others if it's not suitable.

There is info about ACE inhibitors and NSAIDs like ibuprofen here:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046942.php

The biggest risk seems to be if you take both of these with a diuretic (water pill, like furosemide).

I take paracetamol daily for chronic pain... it's not ideal but I think it's the safest option. I have regular liver and kidney tests to make sure damage isn't being done.

The bottom line is if you are concerned about any drugs discuss them with your doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.

ShugaShuga

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme - I think how an ACE inhibitor works is that the AC enzyme makes the blood vessels tighter and the drug blocks that so the vessels relax. This type of drug is the first line choice for reducing BP. There are lots of others if it's not suitable.

There is info about ACE inhibitors and NSAIDs like ibuprofen here:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046942.php

The biggest risk seems to be if you take both of these with a diuretic (water pill, like furosemide).

I take paracetamol daily for chronic pain... it's not ideal but I think it's the safest option. I have regular liver and kidney tests to make sure damage isn't being done.

The bottom line is if you are concerned about any drugs discuss them with your doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you for that. The contents of the link are very interesting. It's a bit like the problem of diabetes and gum disease. Nobody seems to tell us type 2's anything about this kind of thing. Ibuprofen is the "pain killer of choice" for dental problems and it is good at conditions where inflammation is involved. I have been given Ibuprofen by a dentist, but he never asked me if I was diabetic. Don't they know of the potential problems? Or are they so wrapped up in the world of dentistry that they have no thought for the effects upon other branches of medicine?

Reactions: 2 people

ShugaShuga

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mashed food for about a week, lots of pain killers! Then moved on to cooked veg/soft food for another week then it was fine. Just avoided really hard stuff that could scrape the gums (nuts, crusty bread, crackers etc)!!

Thanks. Sounds a bit like me. I didn't have all my teeth out, but I did have a 3 month saga, with toxic wisdom teeth and ineffectiveness of antibiotics. I had to eat on one side of my mouth and reduce my chewing because if I chewed on one side, the teeth on the other side still banged up and down together and caused pain. I learned to eat a banana by mashing it against my upper palate with my tongue. I learned to eat an apple by peeling thin slices with a vegetable peeler and using the tongue and palate to mash it. The gum is still healing from where they were eventually extracted, so I still haven't had a good chew. Frankly, I don't know if care if I never do. Especially if it's going to cost me thousands of pounds.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thank you for that. The contents of the link are very interesting. It's a bit like the problem of diabetes and gum disease. Nobody seems to tell us type 2's anything about this kind of thing. Ibuprofen is the "pain killer of choice" for dental problems and it is good at conditions where inflammation is involved. I have been given Ibuprofen by a dentist, but he never asked me if I was diabetic. Don't they know of the potential problems? Or are they so wrapped up in the world of dentistry that they have no thought for the effects upon other branches of medicine?
Indeed, they don't often take much notice of other conditions, in my experience. I think people assume Ibuprofen is fairly harmless, but it's not, if taken with certain other drugs. This is why I try to get a handle on all of my meds and I read up on any new ones that are suggested.

Lukey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What should blood sugars levels be when you have you tooth extraction and do your sugars rise or go low