Type 2 Diabetes - hypo?

psbridge

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes earlier this year, control is being effected by diet and Statins.
I went out with some friends for lunch a few weeks after diagnosis and decided that perhaps a Gammon steak plus a few oven cooked chips might be OK. Something must have reacted quite badly with my condition shortly afterwards, because I had double vision and could hardly stand unsupported. The cavalry arrived and after a few blood tests and an ecg in the ambulance, I was ferried off to casualty where I remained wired up for a few hours until things returned to normal.
A conversation with someone working in catering revealed that sometimes Gammon is stored in Honey to keep it moist, and if stored for a while before distribution to restaurants, obviously this sweetness will sink into the actual joint which is then cut into steaks.
I've heard of "Honey Roast Ham", so would obviously avoid this at all costs, but was totally unaware that an ordinary Steak might be affected in this way.
Could my reaction have actually been a "hypo", although I was also unaware that these could affect a type "2" sufferer?
The other suggestion was a TIA, a small bit of fat coming adrift from a remote artery as a result of the Statins and the recent drastic change of diet / lifestyle!

Peter

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T2s can get hypos.Usually caused by medication, such as sulphonylureas.
Statins treat cholesterol, not blood glucose.
A hypo is a symptom of LOW blood glucose, so not likely to be caused by honey.
From what you've written, a TIA sounds more likely. If you keep your blood glucose under control, you can reduce the chances of its happening again.
What blood glucose readings are you getting? How often do you test? Do you have a recent HbA1c?
We can help you more if we have this information.
In the meantime read a bit more about hypos and T2 perhaps starting with information in this forum. You seem a little confused about the condition
Hana

psbridge

HbA1c was 9.4% and Cholesterol was 6.2% at last visit to Nurse in July. Another visit tomorrow with updated results of 2 x more recent monthly Blood tests plus the recent Eye scan results. I'll update you if it is vastly different. I'm actually expecting to be asked to visit the Dr as well for the 6 monthly review, medication is often adjusted or changed at this point was a comment I picked up during the last chat.
Peter

Reactions: 2 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Peter
HbA1c of 9+% isn't good. NHS target is <7.5% and that's a pretty slack target. If you keep to that for years, you are still at risk of developing serious complications. To be as safe as possible, you need to get to 6% or better.

wallycorker

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear about your problem. In my opinion, Hana has given you some very good advice - I too recommend that you try to get your HbA1c below 6 - it's usually easier than most Type 2s realise in my experience and from what I've read on these forums.

I notice that you are a Type 2 on diet only so you really didn't ought to be having a hypo of any significance. My GP keeps insisting to me that I can't really have a significant hypo because I'm a Type 2 on metformin only. I think what he's saying is that I'm no more likely to have one than a non-diabetic person and if I do his advice is simply to have something to eat. Technically anything below 4.0 is hypo - I go below that level quite often (sometimes as low as 3.4) but I've never noticed anything at all. In fact, I wouldn't know whether I'm 3.4 or 10+ unless my meter told me. It seems that I am not normal in that respect because others often tell me they can tell exactly where they are on the blood glucose scale just by how they feel.

Yes - get to your doctor and let him investigate your recent problem!

Best wishes - John

psbridge

Many thanks to Hana & John for their advice.
Some good news today when I had my 3 monthly review with the Diabetes Practice nurse.
Since my last visit I have lost 1 stone, HbA1C has fallen to 5.9% and Cholesterol down to 3.2%.
The blood pressure was marginally up, even climbing the stairs to an upper floor this time may have influenced that I'm told.
So very good results and everyone is happy, next visit in 3 months! The chance of another TIA is now greatly reduced, I just have to lose a bit more weight and stick to the diet and continue with the Statins. So that really confirms that everyone is of the opinion that my blip was in fact a TIA!
No results available yet from the Eye Scan, and despite being on the list for 6 months awaiting a place on a "Desmond" day to explain how to manage Diabetes and what all the readings mean, no place offered yet. I think that the practice were a bit surprised at that as more recent patients have already been dealt with. I think that they intend to query this with the Hospital, so it might be resolved shortly.

Peter

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
John
I don't feel where my Bg is either.
I think it must be because I keep pretty steady in the lower 5s most of the time.
I do feel like a lump of lead if my blood pressure drops, which it does sometimes.
Hana

wallycorker

psbridge said:
Some good news today when I had my 3 monthly review with the Diabetes Practice nurse.
Since my last visit I have lost 1 stone, HbA1C has fallen to 5.9% and Cholesterol down to 3.2%.
Great news that Peter!
psbridge said:
...............and despite being on the list for 6 months awaiting a place on a "Desmond" day to explain how to manage Diabetes and what all the readings mean......
By the time you get there - Peter - you'll be in a great position to explain to them how to do things!

John

calisto51

Hi Iam also T2 and seem to suffer the hypo syndrome I take 2x500 metforman twice a day plus Junuvia. My BG on waking is usually 10-12 never lower than this. After food it spikes to 22-26 then settles around 14. I think my problem is my system is used to high BGs and when I drop below 7 the problem starts my H1AC usually returns a figure of 7.9-8.2. On the last check I dropped by 0.1 the doctor was pleased with this (I was not), I have tried various foods low carbs etc, Glycemix balance but nothing really changes. This has gone on for the last two years the onlty refferal was to the Dietician at the Diabetic Clinic who confirmed my diet was good. Not sure what to do next apart from changing doctors. I have written a complaint but was fobbed off with a load of limp excuses. I am sure I am just a number on the list that provides them with funding. I am due a repeat blood test in two weeks and wondered what probing questions I should ask my doctor when we discus the results.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @psbridge just wanted to add my two pennorth. I am T2 and was treated with medication - metformin 2g gliclizide 80mg and sitagliptin. I am convinced, in fact I know, I had hypos whilst on medication, despite my GP saying it was 'impossible'. A pharmacist and a dietician friend both said 'of course you can!' which confirmed my belief. So yes, you can have hypos with metformin. The other thing that occurred to me was the posibility of you having had a hyper - I've had a few of those two, and the symptoms are very similar to hypo's - in my case anyway....though you seem to think it was a TIA for defo now...still, it might be worth bearing in mind for future reference.
Anyway, it sounds like things are improving for you now, so keep up the good work!