Type 2 Diabetes now on medication

debbiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i was diagnosed in January 2017 with type 2 Diabetes , for first 3 months diet alone , and go on a education course for Diabetes , after results today of 6.9 they have now put me on Metformin 500 mg 1 tablet a day for a week , then 2 tablets a day , i have had constant infections one after another , again Diabetic Nurse says i dont need to test my Blood Sugar , how am i going to know how to control it without testing it ? has anyone else had same treatment as me been told not to test blood ? forgot to add due to anticoagulants i have to be careful what food i eat , i am also helping a research project called StartRight who are wanting 400 people that have been diagnosed in the last year and under 50 , i bought a monitor kit few months back when i was first diagnosed .

Last edited:

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all welcome @debbiek to a club you didnt want to join. I will tag @daisy1 who will post you some great info. Please ask as many questions as you like, there are plenty of folk here who will offer help based on real experiences.
You are right about testing, they wont give you a meter because of cost, not that they admit that.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/ these folk will give you a meter and 10 strips to get you on your way, extra strips are £7.75 for 50

Also https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...oll-or-mgdl/?gclid=CLjN7_Wj-dMCFeKV7QodcvMDhw these are the cheapest strips on the market.

Many follow a low carb diet, but I wont bang on about it, best to read daisys post first

Reactions: debbiek

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@debbiek don't worry about being told you don't need to test. Just go buy an monitor, test before a meal and then 2 hours after and see what the effect of each meal you eat is. Then adjust the amount of carbs you are eating until you are happy with the results. All the target figures are here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

It's very rare to get a monitor and strips on the NHS as a T2 unless you are meds which could make you hypo - and metformin isn't one of them. If you think about it -there are lots of things the NHS doesn't fund in lots of health conditions - that's just life.

Reactions: Em1981 and debbiek

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i was diagnosed in January 2017 with type 2 Diabetes , for first 3 months diet alone , and go on a education course for Diabetes , after results today of 6.9 they have now put me on Metformin 500 mg 1 tablet a day for a week , then 2 tablets a day , i have had constant infections one after another , again Diabetic Nurse says i dont need to test my Blood Sugar , how am i going to know how to control it without testing it ? has anyone else had same treatment as me bene told not to test blood ?

of cause you need to test your blood glucose and get it down to normal, you can do that by eating low carb high fat diet... my number was around 7.3 when diagnosed or HbA1c of 57 so a bit higher than you, it took me 4 month to get numbers down to normal.. you can do that too.

no medication can do the whole work in diabetes type 2 ..

there just isn´t any way around changing eating style and eat almost none of the forbidden fruits and cakes and candies and potatoes and gains and bread..

these foods you can eat in smaller amounts ; berries ( best with cream), peanuts

what one can eat more of are eggs, meat all kinds, fish, cheese, cottage cheese,olives, avocadoes fullfat greek yoghurt, nuts all kinds pork scratchings. cream and fats olive oil and coconut oil, and almost all vegetables grown over ground
and learn to make these delicious treats to have somthing else than the ordinary now forbidden ones

https://www.atkins.com/recipes/desserts

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/snacks

Last edited:
Reactions: Em1981

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i was diagnosed in January 2017 with type 2 Diabetes , for first 3 months diet alone , and go on a education course for Diabetes , after results today of 6.9 they have now put me on Metformin 500 mg 1 tablet a day for a week , then 2 tablets a day , i have had constant infections one after another , again Diabetic Nurse says i dont need to test my Blood Sugar , how am i going to know how to control it without testing it ? has anyone else had same treatment as me bene told not to test blood ?

they almost always tell type 2 that they dont need to measure bood glucose... but if one want control and not end up with adding diseases then one need to test of cause to know if the food is strickt enough or if one is on a high rise to a slow hell in later life..;)

Reactions: dbr10

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I was diagnosed last year with a MUCH higher HbA1c than you - 97. I chose not yo take medication but to try to manage my condition by changing what I ate.

I switched to LCHF and my HBA1C is now 37. So it can be done. However, I bought a Meter and tested before and after every meal until I worked out what I could and couldn't eat and when. I can eat berries with natural yoghurt after dinner but if I eat them for breakfast then they push my bs right up. If I skip breakfast my bs levels climb through the morning. Other people can skip breakfast no problem

I came on here when I was first diagnosed and kept getting the advice "eat to your meter". It has worked for me.

My advice is buy a meter and test everything.

Good luck

Reactions: dbr10

debbiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I was diagnosed last year with a MUCH higher HbA1c than you - 97. I chose not yo take medication but to try to manage my condition by changing what I ate.

I switched to LCHF and my HBA1C is now 37. So it can be done. However, I bought a Meter and tested before and after every meal until I worked out what I could and couldn't eat and when. I can eat berries with natural yoghurt after dinner but if I eat them for breakfast then they push my bs right up. If I skip breakfast my bs levels climb through the morning. Other people can skip breakfast no problem

I came on here when I was first diagnosed and kept getting the advice "eat to your meter". It has worked for me.

My advice is buy a meter and test everything.

Good luck

my first test results in jan was 10.4 , i have a testing kit but was told not to test myself , ill start testing see what helps or not

Reactions: Liam1955

debbiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they almost always tell type 2 that they dont need to measure bood glucose... but if one want control and not end up with adding diseases then one need to test of cause to know if the food is strickt enough or if one is on a high rise to a slow hell in later life..;)

thank you im going to start testing myself , though i have just become a test subject for StartRight they are wanting 400 people who have been diagnosed with diabetes in last year and under 50 , its to help get better diagnosis for diabetes

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@debbiek

Hello Debbie and welcome to the Forum :) Here, as mentioned above, is the Basic Information we give to new members which I hope will help you in addition to the replies you have already received. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to give you more advice.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: debbiek

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@debbiek - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :). Good to read that you have already got a Blood Glucose Meter.
Read all the information provided and ask as many questions as you want, no matter how daft you may think they are! We are all Friendly, Helpful and Supportive to one another on the Forum. :)

debbiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@debbiek don't worry about being told you don't need to test. Just go buy an monitor, test before a meal and then 2 hours after and see what the effect of each meal you eat is. Then adjust the amount of carbs you are eating until you are happy with the results. All the target figures are here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

It's very rare to get a monitor and strips on the NHS as a T2 unless you are meds which could make you hypo - and metformin isn't one of them. If you think about it -there are lots of things the NHS doesn't fund in lots of health conditions - that's just life.
thank you i have a monitor that i was advised to get a few months back , i joined forum in jan but forgot my password hence think this is new account as not been on for awhile , ive been trying to get my head round it all .

Mark_1

I'd recommend the TEE meter everything you need to get you started comes for free and the ongoing costs are as low as any if you do decide to stick with it.

Reactions: Em1981

debbiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd recommend the TEE meter everything you need to get you started comes for free and the ongoing costs are as low as any if you do decide to stick with it.
thanks i have sd codefree i bought from amazon but if thats bettter to use ill try it , what i dont understand is diabetic nurse said they would give me a meter now saying i dont need to monitor it i feel like they are playing Russian Roulette with my health , i want to thank everyone for advice

debbiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks alot for welcome , my problem is i like carbs too much and thats not a good thing any more , plus im a fussy eater thats what my family say i am lol

Reactions: Ultramum

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi @debbiek I was diagnosed nearly 6 weeks ago - Type 2. My DN gave me a meter and strips and lancets on prescription, also on 80mg of Gliclazide a day. I was told my diabetes is genetic, don't really have any weight to loose (size 10). HbAc1 was 78. Also a vegetarian - no meat, fish, seafood or meat substitute = a picky eater. Yes I loved the carbs like bread, rolls, pasta, rice and potatoes. I can't tolerate the bread, rice or pasta and chips are a killer for me and I don't mean a portion either but around 10 oven chips and my bg rockets!
I haven't found the last six weeks easy and my doctor is not supportive, he tells me to put my meter away in a very safe place and forget about it. He said I need to take my pills and start living. I have ignored that advice, I no longer test at breakfast as I eat the same every day and know what is ok, I still test before and two hours after dinner. I am now finding things easier and the info is sinking in. Going for a blood test in two weeks - doctors orders which will include the month before I was diagnosed, also had two infections then - sinusitis and costochondritis (inflammation of rib cartilage) so do not expect much from my results. My point is that it gets easier and by testing you will feel more in control plus this site is amazing.
Tracy

Reactions: Ultramum

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Hammer1964 :).
Those who are prescribed Gliclazide and Insulin are usually prescribed Blood Glucose Meters. But, not those on Metformin unfortunately - which I feel is unfair.
I am intrigued as to what foods you eat being a Type 2 Diabetic and Vegetarian?

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Those who are prescribed Gliclazide and Insulin are usually prescribed Blood Glucose Meters. But, not those on Metformin unfortunately - which I feel is unfair.

Hi Liam1955, I can eat potatoes in small quantities so tonight for dinner I had a small jacket with coleslaw and made a veggie burger of kidney beans, peppers onion and mushroom mixed with egg and rolled in whole grain flour and lightly fried, other days mushroom omelette and salad, mushroom, spinach mixed in 2 tablespoons of Philly cheese on cauliflower rice with broccoli and a few carrots, cheesy veg, halloumi cheese and stir fry, veg quiche (pastry made with whole grain flour) Yorkshire puddings are nice with whole grain flour too. I didnt like my diagnosis and was in denial for a couple of weeks but I do like cooking so have enjoyed making new low carb dinners.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Hi Liam1955, what is the reason/s for not being issued a meter if on Metformin?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks i have sd codefree i bought from amazon but if thats bettter to use ill try it , what i dont understand is diabetic nurse said they would give me a meter now saying i dont need to monitor it i feel like they are playing Russian Roulette with my health , i want to thank everyone for advice
They are.