Type 2 DIABETIC FAT LOSS (HELP NEEDED)

GreatGoku

I am 18 years old male 5ft11 and a T2 DIABETIC. I was diagnosed on 2007 and have been severely obese most of my life. Life has been very difficult for me as I was 20 stone at my heaviest weight. I decided to do something about this when I was 16 and I started going to the gym and just doing Cardio because that is what I was told by people. I never knew what metabolism was or that a lot of the first few weeks etc was just water weight. I am now 15stone and feel so much better in MIND and BODY. However for the last few months I have stayed at 15 no matter how much cardio I do and diet. I calculated something called macros and cook my own meals however my body does not want to go below 15 stone 2lb for some reason.. However once, just once I weighed myself like I usually do every morning on empty stomach and I was 14stone 12lb probably water weight and not fat :(

I don't know how this happened but I was so happy it did :D When I started losing weight I didn't care or take into account what T2 DIABETES could do such as the insulin being restricted or something and I still don't understand. I can do cardio 4-5 times a week moderate to high intensity. I am also going to start weight lifting. I want to get down to 10-12 stone but my body does not want to communicate. I really need anyone help on this matter on how to make my body burn fat as energy. I think because I am a T2 diabetic I am struggling and my body does not want to burn fat for whatever reason. Please anyone help if you can..

Thanks!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi well done on your efforts with the weight loss, with determination like you obviously have you will get to where you want to be, your body uses glucose first before fat, to burn the fat you have to starve your body of glucose and feed it fat, dietary fat does not make us fat, have a look at www.dietdoctor.com theres not alot anyone can tell you about losing weight if youve lost 5 stone, but this is a different way of losing it and burning fat, the weight lifting is a great idea as muscle burns fat (all just opinion) best of luck, keep us posted

Reactions: 2 people

Type2Wife

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whenever I have lost weight I have stuck various times. The best thing to do is to change your exercise rather than do more of what you already do. Rather than stick to the gym, try running or swimming a couple of times a week. The change in the type of exercise can make a huge difference.

Reactions: 3 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Cut the carbs, diet has more influence over weight than exercise. What are you eating. Its good to keep fit but its not the be all and end all.

Reactions: 4 people

GreatGoku

hi well done on your efforts with the weight loss, with determination like you obviously have you will get to where you want to be, your body uses glucose first before fat, to burn the fat you have to starve your body of glucose and feed it fat, dietary fat does not make us fat, have a look at www.dietdoctor.com theres not alot anyone can tell you about losing weight if youve lost 5 stone, but this is a different way of losing it and burning fat, the weight lifting is a great idea as muscle burns fat (all just opinion) best of luck, keep us posted
Thanks so much for replying :) It means a lot :) I did not know about how glucose is used first, I thought carbohydrate is? Or are they the same thing? I shall check the site out :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yes carbs are glucose, or will be, your body finds its easy to use them so given the option it will take the easy route, if havent tried it, putting yourself into ketosis basically means your body has gone into fat burning mode, this is achieved through eating a very low carb diet, great have a read ;)

GreatGoku

Cut the carbs, diet has more influence over weight than exercise. What are you eating. Its good to keep fit but its not the be all and end all.
My usual diet contains of:

Chicken
Egg
Salmon
Tuna
Peanut butter 100%
Rolled oats 100%
1% FAT milk
Shredded wheat 100%
Brocolli
Extra virgin olive oil
Brown Rice
Potatoes
Sometime I have white rice but I hear it can make my insulin go up and I won't burn fat? I don't understand this..

I usual cook using boiled, steam or grilled

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the oats rice and potatoes are basically sugar (carbs) this will give your body its prefered energy source (glucose) youll be amazed to hear you would be better off having eggs bacon sausage fry up than a small portion of rice, but im not clever enough to explain this properly have at look at the diet doctor video section with the dudes in a line, i think its the first video you see, now when it come to insulin i havent a clue so maybe someone who takes it would be better placed to offer advice, id hate to say anything that could harm you through my ignorance, eating less carbs will effect how much insulin you need so id say you have to be careful not to be hypoing

Type2Wife

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Andy is bang on. Rice, potatoes, pasta, oats, bread, fruits are all the kiss of death to weight loss. Anything with sugar in it basically and carbs are sugar. When I replied above I assumed you were cutting the carbs.

Try to keep your daily carb count between 20 and 50g per day and you should see a significant difference. A good breakfast is crustless quiche. If you use (my recipe!) a 454g pack of morrisons rind on bacon, one onion, 7 eggs, 100 ml of milk and 100g of cheese then you can make a quiche that comes out at 2.2g of carbs per slice (it makes 6 generous slices).