Type 2 diabetic for 40 yrs & currently 72 yrs. & old still kicking

delia 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
shopping, eating out
First of all, I believe the most important traits of a diabetic are knowledge, discipline, and exercise. My weight then was about 105 lbs (at age 29), now about 97 lbs. (trying to gain weight). My weight did not go over 105 lbs except when I was pregnant (2x); I gained about 20 lbs. My son was 8 lbs. & 2.5 oz at birth and my daughter was 7.5 lbs. I got gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my second child. It's a hereditary - my mother and six siblings have diabetes but no one is overweight. After two years, I got full blown type 2 diabetes. My doctor recommended that I attend a diabetic day care (1/2 day for 5 days) in a hospital close to where I lived. I learned a lot from the session. During the first few years, I didn't take any pill - just diet but seldom exercise due to busyness but I had done lots of running around the house and taking our kids to their extracurricular activities. After several years, I was prescribed one methformin a day. Currently, I'm taking 1 Diamicron MR30MG (Gliclazimide)in the morning and 1 Sitaglip/Metf XR 50/100/1000 (Janumet XR) in the evening. I do workout and lift weights (up to 30 lbs.) I read a lot, among others, on how to manage my health, about glycemic index, sugar, etc. I make sure the ones I'm following are coming from reliable sources because there are so many fake or quack doctors in the internet. About a few years ago, I was diagnosed with elevated cholesterol and Crestor was prescribed to me. I bought the prescription but I never take it. Instead, I exercise regularly and eat a balance diet meals. After six months, I got another test and my doctor told me that my cholesterol is normal ... she thought because of the medication that she prescribed. When I told her that I did not take it, even one, she was surprised and told me to continue whatever I'm doing. So far, I don't have the symptoms and complications associated with diabetes. In fact, my doctor told me, more than a year ago, that my kidneys are like the kidneys of a young person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum

Sueco4

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all, I believe the most important traits of a diabetic are knowledge, discipline, and exercise. My weight then was about 105 lbs (at age 29), now about 97 lbs. (trying to gain weight). My weight did not go over 105 lbs except when I was pregnant (2x); I gained about 20 lbs. My son was 8 lbs. & 2.5 oz at birth and my daughter was 7.5 lbs. I got gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my second child. It's a hereditary - my mother and six siblings have diabetes but no one is overweight. After two years, I got full blown type 2 diabetes. My doctor recommended that I attend a diabetic day care (1/2 day for 5 days) in a hospital close to where I lived. I learned a lot from the session. During the first few years, I didn't take any pill - just diet but seldom exercise due to busyness but I had done lots of running around the house and taking our kids to their extracurricular activities. After several years, I was prescribed one methformin a day. Currently, I'm taking 2 methformin + Januvia in the morning and 2 meth in the evening. I do workout and lift weights (up to 30 lbs.) I read a lot, among others, on how to manage my health, glycemic index, sugar, etc. I make sure the ones I'm following are coming from reliable sources because there are so many fake or quack doctors in the internet. About a few years ago, I was diagnosed with elevated cholesterol and Crestor was prescribed to me. I bought the prescription but I never take it. Instead, I exercise regularly and eat a balance diet meals. After six months, I got another test and my doctor told me that my cholesterol is normal ... she thought because of the medication that she prescribed. When I told her that I did not take it, even one, she was surprised and told me to continue whatever I'm doing. So far, I don't have the symptoms and complications associated with diabetes. In fact, my doctor told me, more than a year ago, that my kidneys are like the kidneys of a young person.
Fantastic!! Keep on kicking!

cocobee.2017

I really enjoyed reading your story + I love happy endings! You have done so amazingly well. I'm a newbie with preD + have learnt a lot from reading your post. Thanks for the inspiration :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We 40yr+ diabetics love kicking around. If my 2yrs+ back pain turns out to be gallstones or associated and not bulging discs... I will be skipping down my road to swimming 3x a day and cycling 4x and mini jogs inbetween. Slowly but indefinately. Fingers crossed. Bariatric surgery will be a bonus.
I know my normality and this disability isn't mine.
Maybe it will be... Insulin who?

Your thread has renewed my optimism.
Thank you fellow 40yr old diabetic. :) :) :)

Reactions: shelley262

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you it’s so good to hear that good lifestyle management can result in no complications over a long period of time. Very hopeful for all of us taking the path of managing our diabetes rather than letting it follow the path of progression and complications promised on diagnosis. Keep on doing what you are doing it’s clearly working thank you for posting your story.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
@delia 2 your post is very encouraging and shows that there is life after diagnosis!

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree completely with the first sentence of delia2 thread. This is in line with quotation from the scripture that my people suffer because they lack knowledge.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have no complications either but more due to good bg control 99% of the time. Even before low carb discovery. Exercise has helped me enormously in the past.