Type 2 diagnosed 3 weeks ago

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.
I've been lurking and reading the forum for a couple of weeks but finally took the plunge and registered.

Nearly 4 years ago I had gestational diabetes. It was pretty scary and no matter what I ate or didn't eat, I couldn't manage it by diet alone. I ended up on insulin and testing Bs 6 times a day. Got tested once I'd had my baby and all was fine and back to prepregnancy.

Fast forward to now and for the last 4 months I've not been feeling right so I asked to get tested for thyroid and diabetes. Has a fasting blood test and it came back at 8.4.
The gp gave me a choose and book appointment form for the local clinic. I've called them 3 times now and each time they tell me they'll phone back but they haven't yet.
I've got an appointment with the nurse but it's not until end of October.
I feel like they've just left me to get on with it. Although I have had it before, it's been 4 years and I can't remember everything.

I constantly feel rubbish and it's really getting me down and affecting work and my relationship.
I have my old Bs monitor so am in the process of buying test strips and lancets but need to wait until payday. Food I know I used to be ok with now seem to give me symptoms so I've no idea what's going on.

To top it off, I've now got a horrible d&v bug and can't keep anything down. I'm getting bad muscle cramps in feet, toes and legs, can't eat, extremely dizzy and lethargic, amongst other things.
Do you think I'll be turned away if I ask to see a Dr? I've no idea if they can help me but I'm concerned this isn't just normal d&v.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Your fasting blood glucose test was high, as you are probably aware, and it maybe your high levels are making you feel poorly, but of course it could equally be something else. Whatever, it needs sorting out. Is this clinic appointment for another blood test? You really need an HbA1c test and a proper diagnosis so you can be put on the right care pathway. I would ring and make sure he has ordered an HbA1c for you, certainly before you go to the nurse, and keep ringing them until you get a proper response, or pay a visit in person.

Meanwhile, tweak your diet to exclude as many carbs as you can, especially cut down on potatoes, rice, pasta and bread.

Let us know how you go on.

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have similar situation like yours.. Had GD and then found out T2. I was diagnosed 3 months before on June.. May be lack of excercise was the key reason for myself and I had similar BG on fasting 8. But no symptoms like cramps or weakness anything.. It was just random test i did to monitor myself and find out but my follow up report last week showed improvement so satisfied.. Keep excercising and cutting carbs esp potatoes!!!

Dont worry, we all are on same boat snd diabetes is manageable if we want to so its on our hand to choose healthy lifestyle...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.
I've been lurking and reading the forum for a couple of weeks but finally took the plunge and registered.

Nearly 4 years ago I had gestational diabetes. It was pretty scary and no matter what I ate or didn't eat, I couldn't manage it by diet alone. I ended up on insulin and testing Bs 6 times a day. Got tested once I'd had my baby and all was fine and back to prepregnancy.

Fast forward to now and for the last 4 months I've not been feeling right so I asked to get tested for thyroid and diabetes. Has a fasting blood test and it came back at 8.4.
The gp gave me a choose and book appointment form for the local clinic. I've called them 3 times now and each time they tell me they'll phone back but they haven't yet.
I've got an appointment with the nurse but it's not until end of October.
I feel like they've just left me to get on with it. Although I have had it before, it's been 4 years and I can't remember everything.

I constantly feel rubbish and it's really getting me down and affecting work and my relationship.
I have my old Bs monitor so am in the process of buying test strips and lancets but need to wait until payday. Food I know I used to be ok with now seem to give me symptoms so I've no idea what's going on.

To top it off, I've now got a horrible d&v bug and can't keep anything down. I'm getting bad muscle cramps in feet, toes and legs, can't eat, extremely dizzy and lethargic, amongst other things.
Do you think I'll be turned away if I ask to see a Dr? I've no idea if they can help me but I'm concerned this isn't just normal d&v.

Do you carry any weight Pixelle? And, sis the d&v start all of a sudden or does it feel like it's the feeling rotten you've felt for several weeks has developed into the d&v?

And finally, do you have any test strips at all, so that you could do a test tonight?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pix,

Did they give you metformin, by any chance? It can cause stomach upsets, in the minority (usually diarrhoea).

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Your fasting blood glucose test was high, as you are probably aware, and it maybe your high levels are making you feel poorly, but of course it could equally be something else. Whatever, it needs sorting out. Is this clinic appointment for another blood test? You really need an HbA1c test and a proper diagnosis so you can be put on the right care pathway. I would ring and make sure he has ordered an HbA1c for you, certainly before you go to the nurse, and keep ringing them until you get a proper response, or pay a visit in person.

Meanwhile, tweak your diet to exclude as many carbs as you can, especially cut down on potatoes, rice, pasta and bread.

Let us know how you go on.

I'm not sure what the clinic appointment is for. I guess just to get me seen to and to sort out food advice. I have another GP appointment on Friday so will mention the HbA1c then and also find out what the clinic and nurse appointment is for. It was all very rushed when I went and got my results and I didn't really take much in.
I've cut down my carb intake and sugar too. I use MFP to track my food intake and can see some areas I need to improve.
Thank you for responding :)

Reactions: 2 people

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you carry any weight Pixelle? And, sis the d&v start all of a sudden or does it feel like it's the feeling rotten you've felt for several weeks has developed into the d&v?

And finally, do you have any test strips at all, so that you could do a test tonight?

Hello. Yes, I do carry more weight than I'm supposed to. I've been finding it increasingly difficult to lose though. I started on Slimming World December last year and had good results at first, I lost a stone, then the weight just wouldn't budge. I've tried so much to lose weight. I have a fairly physical job, I exercise 3 times a week and eat semi-healthily - More so now.

The D&V was pretty sudden. I'm fine now though. Literally happened over less than 24 hours. My son was poorly last weekend so I think I caught what he had.
My usual symptoms include: dizzyness, blurred vision, nausea, muscle aches, extreme tiredness and weeing lots (even getting up in the night several times). The main problem I'm finding is that I don't know what to eat, some days some food is ok, but the next day I'll eat it and get the symptoms again. It's very tricky.

I have some strips but they're nearly 4 years out of date so I'm not sure I should use them :)

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pix,

Did they give you metformin, by any chance? It can cause stomach upsets, in the minority (usually diarrhoea).

No metformin. The GP said they'd manage me on diet and that I'd discuss all that with the nurse. I was on metformin when I had GD and remember they had to take me off them due to stomach upsets.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you need to sort out what sort of blood tests you had to arrive at your diagnosis, and what exactly the results were. You can ring your surgery receptionist for these, and also ask for a print out. You are entitled to this.

Your strips will probably be "dead" by now, so I suggest you buy yourself some more if your GP won't prescribe them for you.

Good luck, and please come back and ask any questions you like.