Type 2 Type 2 DKA

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Whilst I have type 1 diabetes and suffered DKA due to pump failure, my partner who is type 2 had a DKA type episode on Tuesday night. He took a mocktail drink at the bar without thinking. Full on nausea, dizziness and feeling like death, just like my DKA episode. And obviously ketones- just a urine test but it was high. I got him to drink a tonne of water and it eventually came down. But he has been feeling wiped out by it, just as I was. I'm afraid I don't know the name of his medication, but it's the one that gets you to pee out sugars. I got him to take it with a low carb meal yesterday. He's still exhausted today.
I'd love to know if it's common for people with type 2- have you suffered it? How did you treat it?

Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve never had it, but I believe @NewTD2 was diagnosed on a hospital admission with DKA.

Reactions: NewTD2

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I had DKA on diagnosis last Sept 2017 and nearly died at the A & E.

The doctors suspected Type 1 but I was re-diagnosed as Type 2 after further tests were carried out.

Are you definitely sure your partner had DKA? What was his blood glucose level at the time?

If it was a suspected DKA, you must call for the ambulance immediately because DKA is extremely dangerous which can lead to comatose and even death within a few hours.

The paramedics will give him intravenous fluid straightaway and insulin + electrolytes at the hospital.

He needs to rest which can take a few weeks / months.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DKA can also happen to Type 2s but very rare.

I would also speak with your GP to carry out GAD and C-Peptide tests to find out if your partner is LADA or Type 1.5 or slow onset Type 1.

Good luck!

Reactions: JohnEGreen

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems that nearly all cases of DKA with SGLT inhibitors are people with type1 who had been misdiagnosed as type2. The issue is that SGLT2 inhibitors can keep BG looking OK even while DNA is starting and few doctors know about that risk.

Remember that DKA is due to very low inslin levels not high BG but most people assume that without high BG DKA is not possible.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve never had it, but I believe @NewTD2 was diagnosed on a hospital admission with DKA.

I went to my local Chinese Buffet with over 300 dishes almost every week, sometimes 2-3x a week before I had DKA.

My only regret now is that I should have had 15 plates instead of my usual 4-5.

Pity.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I went to my local Chinese Buffet with over 300 dishes almost every week, sometimes 2-3x a week before I had DKA.

My only regret now is that I should have had 15 plates instead of my usual 4-5.

Pity.
You would just of ended up in hospital all the sooner. :)