Type 2 Type 2 fasting levels

Joeypritch

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes last year, then after birth had a hba1c of 46 8 weeks after the birth, Dr was completely unconcerned and told me not to worry and carry on as normal, test again in a year. I am a bit concerned by a 46 and aware this puts me high in pre diabetic range, I've been checking my numbers every once in a while, trying to mostly eat lchf diet, but my fasting numbers are always way to high, 7.8 this am for example, and in the sevens isn't rare.... I am up every couple of hours throughout the night, but not eating, do could that be the cause?? I think I'm wandering how to get my fasting numbers down, generally my other numbers are high but just about in range... Unless I eat something naughty, but still don't seem to go into double figures... From what I've read I could be considered type 2 from fasting numbers alone.... So am I potentially getting too many secret carbs or does frequent night waking play havoc with blood sugars??

Any advice/thoughts greatly appreciated

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you follow a low carb diet, fasting numbers, due to the dawn phenomenon, and are the last number to come down.

Joeypritch

Thankyou, I have heard this, do you happen to know roughly how long it takes? Or is it far to variable to say??

Thanks for the response

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou, I have heard this, do you happen to know roughly how long it takes? Or is it far to variable to say??

Thanks for the response

It can be quite variable. Took me a good 6 months or so to get the FBG reading down. It also seems to be the first one to go up if anything gets out of kilter. Testing before and after meals will be a more reliable guide to where you’re at.

Reactions: Guju

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lack of sleep puts mine up and it’s nowhere like having a newborn! And morning fasting is usually the last one to come under control.

After almost 2 yrs of very low carb (Under 50g, most often less) mine have still only dropped from regular 7’s to lowish 6’s with an occasional 5 or 7. Hb1ac low 40’s though and the rest of the day ok ish. I seem stuck here for now until I’m ready to step up another gear in my approach.

Others drop more, within months, from higher levels, with more carbs. It’s all very hard to predict and individual

Paulbirch

Just did my fasting bloods for the first time by myself and it's 14.5. I sleep very badly so wondering if that's not helping? My diet is ok (well for the last few weeks) and I walk 5-8 miles a day exercise.
Wondering what I should do. I know stress doesn't help so is it really as simple as relax, eat well and exercise?

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ive had type two for over two years now went from 110 to 34 or 36 within three months ...my f.b.s. hovers around 6.0 to 6.7 ..occaisionly in the fives ..i now accept this, as it gets to around 5 before meals and mid fives before bed although i no longer test multiple times per day. and lcfc or one meal a day keeps it down

Reactions: Guju

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Just did my fasting bloods for the first time by myself and it's 14.5. I sleep very badly so wondering if that's not helping? My diet is ok (well for the last few weeks) and I walk 5-8 miles a day exercise.
Wondering what I should do. I know stress doesn't help so is it really as simple as relax, eat well and exercise?

Did you double check that reading to confirm it was that high... sometimes a bad strip can throw out any reading. Or unclean hands can do that.

Perhaps you could describe your diet, what would you typically eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, That might help to understand what is going on with your numbers.

Paulbirch

Only have a few strips for now. Ok. Yesterday: an apple pear and smoothie (milk yoghurt banana strawberry) another pear. For dinner chicken (cold drumsticks with skin) salad and couscous.
Reading back on it that's a lot of fruit lol.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only have a few strips for now. Ok. Yesterday: an apple pear and smoothie (milk yoghurt banana strawberry) another pear. For dinner chicken (cold drumsticks with skin) salad and couscous.
Reading back on it that's a lot of fruit lol.
Fruit (except a few berries) is full of sugar, especially bananas. Yogurt depends on which type, a fruit based one will be high sugar. Go for full fat Greek plain ones. Milk best limited or swap for cream (watered down if necessary). Cous cous is high carb.
I suspect you’re going down the low fat and obvious sugars only route believing it healthy. It doesn’t work, particularly not for type 2. Have a look at this for explanations

Intro to T2 and low carb. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
All the things I wish I’d been told earlier https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

Reactions: Paulbirch