Type 2 feeling hypo

brianalmond

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 diabetic but have recently had 2 episodes of feelings showing hypo symptoms.....feeling faint, dizzy confusion ,vision problems.On both occasions symptoms were rectified by having a snack....chocolate sweets etc.How is this happening to a type 2 with high sugar levels...highest readings 26,27 at times.My levels are under control now (metformin and gliclazide) sometimes down to 5.1.My g.p. and diabetic nurse don,t seem concerned or bothered about it.As a retired front line emergency ambulanceman (25yrs.experience) I have attended many,many people with type 1 having hypos and administered appropriate treatment to them, then watching them recover after a few minutes.G.p.s advice is to carry my blood sugar monitor at all times and emergency supplies of sweets, drinks etc.I am somewhat confused about these "hypo" episodes and would welcome advice from you experienced type 1 or type 2 sufferers.I am a relative rookie at 3 yrs since being diagnosed......Thanks in anticipation

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi,
type 2s can and do get hypos when on meds, did you check your blood when you felt hypo? also when you are having quite a few high readings you tend to feel hypo at an higher number so if you dropped from say 26 to 5 you could feel hypo, what kind of readings would u get in a day? when yoou get high readings do you know why you get them? sorry for the questions,its just by knowing more there will be more of us who can help:)

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In theory at least so the experts will claim, a Type 2 diabetic who isn't on medication can't possibly go Hypo or so it was told to me.
I can say from personal experience that at one point in my diabetic life history (I wasn't on medication at this time) I did manage to go Hypo, and succeeded in proving the point if only to satisfy myself by repeating the foods that I had previously eaten and the activity I had undertaken on a similar hot summers day, which resulted in the same overall response (my B/G going down to 2.8 mmol/L plasma) will nearly all the known hypoglycemic effects, dry mouth, dizyness, nausea, feeling of about to pass out etc:
I researched what had happened to me and found the eventual answer as being Rebound or Reactive Hypoglycemia the result of the specific food items which have high GL rating.
you need to measure your B/G to establish exactly what your B/G levels are before reaching a conclusion.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Levels of 5.1 aren't officially a hypo, however, as Totsy pointed out, you can get what are known as "false hypo's". This is because your BG readings are generally high and your body becomes somewhat accustomed to these numbers. So, due to the Gliclazide, when you occasionally drop into the 5's, your body sees this as a sudden, large drop and you will feel all the symptoms associated with a hypo. Hope this helps a little.