Type 2 here, and hello

Dels79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, newbie to the site and forum.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about a year ago, and I have to admit I have been burying my head in the sand ever since. I know it's stupid of me but it scares me. I have a hard time keeping myself right and haven't been to see my GP or the nurse in about 4/5 months. I am taking one slow release pill with my main meal and a cholesterol pill before bed. I have no idea what my blood sugar level is.

I know I should get a grip on things, but I have various anxieties which makes things difficult. The diabetes is currently attacking my legs above the ankles, the left one is worse than the right. I have ulcers forming and I am currently self-treating with a medicated moisturiser, dressings and tube compression bandages. Though the bandage is only needed for my left leg as it is worse. I have read that these ulcers and scars may never go away. Thankfully the ulcers aren't open wounds, but I sometimes get blisters that end up weeping.

Does anyone else have these issues?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi and welcome. If you feel comfortable sharing a bit more about the nature of your anxieties, I would be happy to try and help you manage them so you can get on track with diabetes.

The efforts you are putting into using the moisturiser, dressings and tube compression bandages are probably greater than what you would need to do to get diabetes under control and give the ulcers the best chance of healing. I think the scars won't go away but there's no reason why the ulcers can't heal, at this stage, provided you make some changes.

Reactions: 2 people

Dels79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello CatladyNZ, and thanks for replying. My anxieties are linked to depression, unfortunately I've been dealing with it on and off for a long time, but I have developed social anxieties and have panic attacks to the point where I cannot leave the house alone. I am currently living with my dad.

I am obese and have real trouble with diets, I have trouble laying off all the wrong food and it's really down to a lack of will power and I know I need to sort that out. Having the scars on my legs doesn't bother me as much as dealing with the ulcers themselves. If I can make the right changes then I'd hope it would help heal them. Any advice would be appreciated.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have depression and anxiety too, and apparently diabetes and depression often go hand in hand.

There is treatment for social anxiety and panic attacks, your doctor should be able to refer you to them. It might be possible to get them to do this over the phone, I don't know.

I struggle with willpower around eating too. It's very hard. But I have read enough about diabetes over the years to see a clear link between eating a diet high in carbs and sugar, and developing diabetes complications like ulcers and worse.

You may be surprised by how easy it is to reduce your carbs once you try. I'm guessing you are probably eating a lot of carbs at the moment... even reducing them by a quarter would be better than keeping going at the same level.

Also, you might need different medication, and insulin, to treat your diabetes. It all hinges on being able to go and see the doctor and get a blood test to find out where things are at. Maybe you could call the surgery and book an appointment at the very end of the day, so there are fewer people there? Or your doctor would agree to come to the house as a one-off to help you get started?

Take baby steps and try not to think about each step after the one you are on. Ask people to help you. Keep asking questions on this forum, people are only too willing to help someone who wants to change things. I will tag @daisy1 because she has some information she posts for people new to the forum. Try to keep things as simple as possible.

Reducing your carbs, getting a blood test, and getting your medication reviewed will most likely stop the ulcers getting worse. You may already be aware that if nothing changes, the ulcers will get worse... there is no other way to stop this happening.

The only person who can stop them is you. But you are not alone, we are here for you, and there are doctors and nurses who also want to help. If they tell you off, don't take it personally, they are just worried for you and they may not understand what the anxiety is like. There are many other people who had things like ulcers as bad as you have them, and anxieties, and with support they have been able to turn things around, have lost weight, and their blood sugars are in the non-diabetic range. You can do it. You just need to take some steps now.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have been thinking about your situation and I just wanted to add that it is possible to lose a large amount of weight. I went from 22 stone to 12 stone over one year. When I was 22 stone a doctor told me should have gastric bypass surgery, but I couldn't afford it and I didn't want to take the risks of the surgery. I decided to lose weight on my own. I think for people heavier than that, it's an option worth considering. In any case, it is possible to lose 10 stone, or even more, without having surgery.

Also, do you get your ulcer dressings changed by a nurse or do you manage it yourself?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Dels79

Hello Dels and welcome to the forum :) Some useful advice above which I hope will reassure you somewhat. Diet is key with diabetes and will be very important to you. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope this will be helpful to you. Carry on asking questions and you will get plenty of replies.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Dels79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both so much for the advice and information. Thankfully I don't eat white bread, only wholemeal. But I'm a mad one for rice, pasta, pastry and cakes. I know I have a lot of work to do but your words of encouragement mean a lot.

I had lost faith in my local clinic as I was due a few months back to start seeing a dietician to help me lose weight and control my diabetes, but funding was cut and that service was taken away, so it left me disheartened. But joining this forum was probably the best idea as you've both given me great advice and ideas to work on. I will contact my GP and arrange for blood tests etc and hopefully get to see the D.Nurse soon too. I do think my medication may need altered.

About the bandage dressings I have on my leg, yes I do that myself. I had done plenty of reading up online about what to do to help with the healing, so I change the dressings every 4-5 days. I have them off at the moment to allow the skin to breathe and I've noticed the sores I had are healing, so that has given me a boost :)

Reactions: 4 people

deedee

I am also relatively new to the forum. I was also diagnosed about a year ago and got off to quite a good start then lots and lots of very stressful situations all one after the other derailed me and my last HB1ac was up to 56 so I have started back with low carb eating and as of yesterday on metformin. I don't have the experience to offer lots of advice but you will get lots of knowledgeable support on the forum, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in your experiences.

I will say that having a meter and testing at home has helped me, there is something about seeing the numbers that makes it very real for me. It has changed my view of many carb heavy foods, which I used to love, I now feel like they are toxic for me (which I suppose they are really).

Dels79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi deedee, I'm going to look into getting a meter as I've never used one, but I think it would definitely help me if I can see what my blood sugar is everyday. I think the biggest hurdle for me at the moment is that I have a very sweet tooth! I need to get that under control and make some big changes. I will definitely use this forum as it seems very informative and it's good to know other people have the same struggles.

Hoping to slowly get myself on the right path to being healthier :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Ringing your doctor for an appointment for blood tests, a medication review, and for advice on your ulcers would be the best start you can make. You have found this forum, so that tells me you are wanting to take control of your weight and diabetes. Wanting to is half the battle. You will know that diabetics really do have to take care of our feet and legs, but lowering your blood sugars will hopefully stop them getting worse. Diet is the key to this. I don't like using the word diet, I prefer "sensible eating plan". How about drawing up a new shopping list of all the foods you can eat as a diabetic, and none of the foods you shouldn't eat. Then clear the cupboards of all the "bad" stuff. If there are no cakes, pasta, rice, potatoes, in the house, you can't eat them! Try to plan some meals round meat or fish and vegetables.

Great idea to get a meter. Using this before you eat and again 2 hours afterwards will show you what your meal has done to you, and this may be the motivation you need to change your eating habits. I know it works for me. When you get a meter, come back and someone will tell you how best to make use of it. This is where many of us here get our meters and strips from (because the strips are the cheapest available) http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

Good luck on your journey, and may today be the first day of your new life. :)

deedee

Have you considered asking your GP for a home visit or for a nurse to visit at least to look at your legs and take some bloods so you can have an idea of what you are working with? I assume your GP is familiar with your anxieties etc and may be willing to make a home visit in order to support you in managing your health.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's great that you've been able to change your own dressings. If you can access a free service where a nurse does it, and monitors your ulcers, you might get even better wound healing results. Nurses can access special types of dressings that may work better. You might also need samples taken from the ulcers to check them. Good luck, it sounds like you have the right attitude to managing your diabetes.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi and welcome
We will all try to help if we can , you have now got your head out of the sand and you are trying to make a difference your self that's a big first step well done catlady has given you some great advice. To start with try cutting down ( not out ) on the crabs they are all sugar that can not be seen , have smaller portions it will help a lot, you will see for your self how the weight will come off.
As for the sweet tooth a problem !! I to love sweet things and cake , there are a lot of sweetener out there I use one that looks like ordinary sugar but you only need a tiny amount, if you can just try these two things it will show a huge difference.
As we all have said small steps add up to miles , you are not alone we will always be here no question is to silly to ask . Keep asking
Keep well stay safe JJ