Type 2 - Hypo During Weights

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all,

Long time no posting still managing my remission with diet and exercise.

Over the last few months I have noticed during weight sessions I start to feel sick and woozy.

Have been a cardio / walking person for the last few years.

Weights have been a new addition to my program (pre T2 did very heavy lifting )

I grabbed a Libre2 to track my real time (ISH) glucose levels.

During weight sessions it drops down to below 4 and then hovers around that for 20-30 after I finish.

Before heading back up to the 5.0 - 6.0 my normal range.

Is this just a fallout of my low carb diet and then pushing my body hard.

Anyone had this does it settle down or is this a new forever thing I have to deal with.

Don't mind eating a doughnut in the gym but kinda defeats the LC approach

Cheers Will.

Reactions: Antje77

LonelyFatGuy

If my body told me that I needed to eat more carbs before a workout, then I'd listen to it. Simple solution.

What's the alternative? Suffer like that for the rest of your life?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say below 4 what are the actual numbers? Do you test with finger prick when you get these lows to check the info from your CGM?

Even if you have to eat it doesn’t need to be a do nut. As you say you low carb and your back up in 30 minutes so you don’t really need something as sugary and high in carbs, it will just send you on a BG roller coaster.

If I get a below four I only treat if if I’m feeling ropey and then only with a very small 5g carb snack such as a couple of jelly babies or 2 or 3 grapes which would probably work for you as you say you are back up in 20 to 30 minutes,

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say below 4 what are the actual numbers? Do you test with finger prick when you get these lows to check the info from your CGM?

Even if you have to eat it doesn’t need to be a do nut. As you say you low carb and your back up in 30 minutes so you don’t really need something as sugary and high in carbs, it will just send you on a BG roller coaster.

If I get a below four I only treat if if I’m feeling ropey and then only with a very small 5g carb snack such as a couple of jelly babies or 2 or 3 grapes which would probably work for you as you say you are back up in 20 to 30 minutes,
3.4-4.0 Finger prick aligns with this.
Will try like you say some small stuff when I feel like I'm ready for a nap ha!
30-60 Mins after it levels out after some roller coasteering.

Reactions: lovinglife

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MrPeaky - I'm a longer term remission bod, no meds, living a reduced carb lifestyle.

When testing, or using a Libre, I often find myself under 4. I'm usually absolutely fine, although I have had a few down as low as 2.6. At the level, I felt fine, but that's usually when I've been pretty active, and it's coming up to a mealtime.

If food is imminent, then I'll just make myself wait (on no blood glucose lowering meds, I am extremely unlikely to suffer a medically concerning hypo or incident). Sometimes my liver dumps out some stored glucose, and sometimes lunch/dinner arrives and I just tuck in.

If food is further off, I'll have a cup of tea/coffee with milk, which just nudges my sugars up a bit without it being any sort of big hit.

In your shoes, I would be considering having a slightly bigger breakfast/lunch or whatever meal you have in the period leading up to your exercise. On low carb, it just takes a bit longer to help us out. I have found this modest "pre-feeding" strategy to work well for very active sailing sessions, and for very long walks.

Reactions: MrPeaky

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
MrPeaky - I'm a longer term remission bod, no meds, living a reduced carb lifestyle.

When testing, or using a Libre, I often find myself under 4. I'm usually absolutely fine, although I have had a few down as low as 2.6. At the level, I felt fine, but that's usually when I've been pretty active, and it's coming up to a mealtime.

If food is imminent, then I'll just make myself wait (on no blood glucose lowering meds, I am extremely unlikely to suffer a medically concerning hypo or incident). Sometimes my liver dumps out some stored glucose, and sometimes lunch/dinner arrives and I just tuck in.

If food is further off, I'll have a cup of tea/coffee with milk, which just nudges my sugars up a bit without it being any sort of big hit.

In your shoes, I would be considering having a slightly bigger breakfast/lunch or whatever meal you have in the period leading up to your exercise. On low carb, it just takes a bit longer to help us out. I have found this modest "pre-feeding" strategy to work well for very active sailing sessions, and for very long walks.
Yeah I think I will order a few more (or scour FB ha!) Libre sensors and do some trial and error.
I do a lot of walking/cycling really helps keep the levels in check, even on a 3/4 hour hike I am fine.

It must just be the sudden drop when I hit the weights and the side effects of the sudden drop, like you no meds so I am not worried about hypo that requires medical attention.
Breakfast is normally a pepprami and a coffee with a grenade protein bar......so maybe I will add in a few oats as well for some slow release prior to the weight sessions.

Thankyou :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I think I will order a few more (or scour FB ha!) Libre sensors and do some trial and error.
I do a lot of walking/cycling really helps keep the levels in check, even on a 3/4 hour hike I am fine.

It must just be the sudden drop when I hit the weights and the side effects of the sudden drop, like you no meds so I am not worried about hypo that requires medical attention.
Breakfast is normally a pepprami and a coffee with a grenade protein bar......so maybe I will add in a few oats as well for some slow release prior to the weight sessions.

Thankyou :)
Personally, I don't add carbs if I'm expecting a drop, or sailing in unpredictable or stormy conditions. In your shoes, I'd add a piece of cheese, or double up the pepperami.

(Totally unimportant, but I think I'm the only low carbing person in the world who has never eaten a protein bar. Just doesn't float my boat.)

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I don't add carbs if I'm expecting a drop, or sailing in unpredictable or stormy conditions. In your shoes, I'd add a piece of cheese, or double up the pepperami.

(Totally unimportant, but I think I'm the only low carbing person in the world who has never eaten a protein bar. Just doesn't float my boat.)
This is strange I know....I don't like cheese haha!

The only bars I eat are the Grenade ones, only ones that taste like a treat. The Oreo ones are fire haha!

Yeah, I will fire in a pepparami before tomorrow lifting then see if it helps.

Did a 2 hour walk this evening, was 4.2-4.7 all the way around no issues, so infuriating thanks for the tips though see how I get on this week will report back!

Reactions: lovinglife

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is strange I know....I don't like cheese haha!

The only bars I eat are the Grenade ones, only ones that taste like a treat. The Oreo ones are fire haha!

Yeah, I will fire in a pepparami before tomorrow lifting then see if it helps.

Did a 2 hour walk this evening, was 4.2-4.7 all the way around no issues, so infuriating thanks for the tips though see how I get on this week will report back!
In many T2s, gentle exercise, like walking, tends to result in gentle blood sugar movements. More intensive exercise can lead to bigger changes - for some down and others upwards.

Don't onboard your additional food just before exercising, because lower carb foods tend to take a bit longer to have impact, rather than carbs which deliver a quick return, but then sometimes a rebound low.